Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propex heater acting strange
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkilpatrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject: Propex heater acting strange Reply with quote

Hi all,

New owner of a 1984 Westy, Canadian model, no AC, no power steering, i.e. fairly bare bones. A couple of nice additions to it include an auxiliary battery, a solar-powered charger, and a Propex HS2200 mounted under the folding bed. Not sure of the vintage of the Propex, but it worked until very recently.

I recently moved the overhead and rear-most cabinets around to install some 3-point seatbelts and passenger headrests. Should also say I disconnected the speakers in the overhead cabinet, and have not reconnected them (I hope this doesn't matter).

Anyway, here's the issue I am having. After re-assembling everything I noticed my Propex heater was ticking or clicking. I removed the cover to take a look, and the ticking is being caused by rotation of the rotary blower/fan in the housing - it it slowly rotating like the second hand of a watch - tick tick tick. The thermostat is getting power, but when I switch to the "fan" setting nothing happens to the fan (i.e. the fan does not run). However the green light does go on on the thermostat.

I'm at a bit of a loss to identify the source of the problem, though I suspect its electrical in nature. The auxiliary battery seems to be draining quicker than I believe it should.

Any thoughts or direction from regular forum readers would be helpful. I have tried searching the forum for similar issues but the only ticking Propex threads seem to be related to the igniters.

Many thanks
John
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Propex heater acting strange Reply with quote

Sounds like you disturbed the wiring to the propex or the thermostat. You'll have to trace back each wire set and see what is up. You've got some detective work ahead of you.

Welcome to the samba!

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
jkilpatrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Propex heater acting strange Reply with quote

Hey, quick update.

So I traced all my steps backwards in the cabinet removal process to find the electrical fault, but had no luck.

Took the cover off the Propex again, to have a closer look and noticed that the red wire on the 2 core cable had a spot with the insulation worn off it - not sure how that happened because I doubt anything I did would have done that - but it must have touched the heater housing at some point and caused the fault.

Tidied it up with a bit of liquid electrical tape covered by proper electrical tape, and its all good.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Propex heater acting strange Reply with quote

jkilpatrick wrote:
Hey, quick update.

So I traced all my steps backwards in the cabinet removal process to find the electrical fault, but had no luck.

Took the cover off the Propex again, to have a closer look and noticed that the red wire on the 2 core cable had a spot with the insulation worn off it - not sure how that happened because I doubt anything I did would have done that - but it must have touched the heater housing at some point and caused the fault.

Tidied it up with a bit of liquid electrical tape covered by proper electrical tape, and its all good.

Good work! Applause

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Propex heater acting strange Reply with quote

jkilpatrick wrote:
Took the cover off the Propex again, to have a closer look and noticed that the red wire on the 2 core cable had a spot with the insulation worn off it - not sure how that happened because I doubt anything I did would have done that -

Satan's Little Helper... mice.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: