Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ice Box modern day use
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Ice Box modern day use Reply with quote

I'm prepping for Blackstar this weekend and got to thinking on how to best use my icebox in the camper. How do people keep items cold in the icebox for multiple days? What cooler hacks are used? Or is the best way to just buy a block of ice and put it in the to hoping to keep it cool?

I mean, it should be functional. Right? Wink
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Ice Box modern day use Reply with quote

I don't use it for cold storage.... just for dry food items. Even if you upgrade the insulation it can't beat a modern cooler. The water tank is nice to have for fresh drinking water although many times I've just taken the whole unit out as its much roomier for camping, especially with a walkthru.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Ice Box modern day use Reply with quote

I find the original coldbox barely useful for actually keeping anything cold. I keep it as an original piece but when I actually want to go camping take it out and swap in a Yeti type equivalent cooler.

The 4" thick walls of the Yeti type cooler actually keep things cold for a long time whereas the original coldbox starts melting the ice pretty much immediately.

Just my 0.02
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ice Box modern day use Reply with quote

azbob wrote:
I'm prepping for Blackstar this weekend and got to thinking on how to best use my icebox in the camper.
Ice box is the best place to store chips so they don't get all broken up.
Fill the water tank with Vodka.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ice Box modern day use Reply with quote

I always used mine. Put a big block of ice in there and it keeps stuff cold enough. I'd put meat on top of the ice, and use the storage area for stuff I wante cold but didn't have to worry about going off like cheese, drinks, condiments, fruit,etc.
I always liked it because stuff wasn't sitting in water when the ice melted.
I also used the water pump to clean dishes. It's pretty handy I always thought.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Ice Box modern day use Reply with quote

Real block ice lasts 2-3 days + if you don't open the door constantly and sit there looking at stuff. Freeze your own in 2 qt paper milk/juice cartons and peel off the paper, or use a small storage tote for a mould. Hardcore space fanatics could make a custom cardboard box mould and put a plastic bag inside to fully fill the footprint and height of the rack over the pan.
Freeze every other thing you can ahead of time too, like bottled water, juice, etc.., it doesn't take long to thaw one out if you need it, after a few days it'll be close to liquid anyways, but it was part of a team effort on the way there.
A few milk jugs of frozen water in there a day or two ahead for a pre cool also helps.

Mass consumption things like beer are better off in their own dedicated cooler for easy access beside the campfire and to save getting in/out of the bus and icebox constantly. Wink

If the bus is parked on a slope make sure the tray can drain and consider where the drainings will go, a soggy river right in front of the cargo door makes a muddy bus inside, and parking on an extreme uphill will flood the cargo floor back to under the bed, that's fun to step in at 03:00 Shocked

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ice Box modern day use Reply with quote

I am all for the vintage camping... but my ice box is our pantry. It is much more convenient to throw a modern cooler in the back.. or we use a college fridge for the week long electric trips. What can I say, our toilet is not a bucket either.
azbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ice Box modern day use Reply with quote

jeremy57ride wrote:
I am all for the vintage camping... but my ice box is our pantry. It is much more convenient to throw a modern cooler in the back.. or we use a college fridge for the week long electric trips. What can I say, our toilet is not a bucket either.

What are you using for an electric source for a college fridge? I guess a 100k watt inverter would do.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Ice Box modern day use Reply with quote

In the Garaj Mahal refrigerator I keep milk jugs in the freezer. The “half gallon” size are perfect! A few of those will last 4 to 5 days easy. Plus keeping the water inside of the jugs prevents the flood that just a plain block of ice creates. Cool
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Ice Box modern day use Reply with quote

azbob wrote:
jeremy57ride wrote:

What are you using for an electric source for a college fridge? I guess a 100k watt inverter would do.

Well... most of our "rustic" camp sites still offer electric. We pack the cooler for non-electric sites. Major Woody did an icebox conversion - check out page 2 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53556
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Ice Box modern day use Reply with quote

azbob wrote:
jeremy57ride wrote:

I think he was talking about going someplace you could plug into shore power. [edit - and he was] Battery power college fridge is a rabbit hole to run down. In my pull behind egg camper I run an efficient 120v chest freezer (super insulated) on a refrigerator thermostat using a 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter and a 400 amp hour deep cycle battery bank. I can get three full days without solar assist, limiting discharge to half (basically 11v instead of 10v). In my experience, the college fridge is the most demanding animal for this application. It is inefficient and draws much juice. Fridge (and freezer) compressors have a high initial demand on start up that will trip up smaller inverters. They also run very hot, or not at all, on the more affordable modified sine wave, or step wave, inverters. I have had no luck with the modified sine inverters for this application. Even with an efficient compressor and a 2000w pure sine inverter, my setup will chirp at me in protest when the fridge kicks on, but then settles in nicely.

The Vanagon crowd has good info and apparently much success on the trucker 12v fridge products.

I love the ideas in this thread for making my own block ice. Smile
Now where is my bucket? Shocked
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.

Last edited by Buggeee on Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ice Box modern day use Reply with quote

If money is no object this is hard to beat

https://www.amazon.com/Engel-Portable-Tri-Voltage-Freezer-Plastic/dp/B001SNWCFO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ice Box modern day use Reply with quote

or blow the budget and go hog wild

https://www.amazon.com/Engel-Portable-Voltage-Frid...merReviews
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Ice Box modern day use Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
or blow the budget and go hog wild

https://www.amazon.com/Engel-Portable-Voltage-Frid...merReviews

Damn, you could buy a lifetimes worth of ice blocks for less than that.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ice Box modern day use Reply with quote

For a camping trip of more than two days without access to fresh ice, you need a modern deluxe cooler, like a Yeti. Wally World has a pretty good knockoff, their Ozark Trail brand. The small 26 quart unit costs around $70, fits between standard bus seats, and is very well made.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ice Box modern day use Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Damn, you could buy a lifetimes worth of ice blocks for less than that.

The Engel my Dad bought in 1983 is still running strong.

It really depends on where you go. In the US it is easy to get block ice when you are on the road. In Europe you can get ice cubes in some places but no block ice. But our Engel was bought for a trip to the Sahara.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
azbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Ice Box modern day use Reply with quote

So the consensus and from my testing is that the icebox works great for a 4 day trip as a place for dry storage. Worked wonderfully. The Yeti kept the food cold and the coleman kept the beers cold with daily addition of ice.

Retro fitting the ice box seems like a bit much effort/money for the size of the thing. I can stick with the yeti.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ice Box modern day use Reply with quote

azbob wrote:
So the consensus and from my testing is that the icebox works great for a 4 day trip as a place for dry storage. Worked wonderfully. The Yeti kept the food cold and the coleman kept the beers cold with daily addition of ice.

Retro fitting the ice box seems like a bit much effort/money for the size of the thing. I can stick with the yeti.

I agree with the "good cooler/bad cooler" approach. Meat and perishibles in the Yeti or equivalent, and beers and excess ice in the generic cheap cooler. Move ice as needed to keep the "good" cooler safe, drain the cold melt water excess from the Yeti into the cheap cooler.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
OG67westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Ice Box modern day use Reply with quote

icebox stores a "bighat" lantern, and can of coleman fuel perfectly. I keep a small blanket in there to prevent them rattling. That leaves the tray open for whatever else you care to store...
'61 Panel dove blue"Rche"
'65 Bug rusty"Tina"
'83 Porsche 944
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Ice Box modern day use Reply with quote

Put and ice block in there and it keeps for 3 days or so
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: