Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mahag 1951 Standard Micro
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here I where I am at with the frame. I ended up sandblasting the entire thing instead of keeping parts of it original paint like I originally planned to. I used an epoxy primer and I'm happy with how hard it is and well it seals everything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

I love updates on this one! Thank you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Looking very good! Exciting times getting ready to mount the body!

I’m looking forward to further updates already!

Cheers. Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

So this was a huge turning point for this project. Since I got this bus I have been trying to learn about early barndoors and all there details. I've read Capriacci's 1951 Brazilain Standard Micro thread and Dave Sweinhagen's 52 thread many times. After seeing Dave put an NOS quarter panel on the 52 I asked him if there is anything left of his old quarter panel because I really want as much German steel on the body as possible.
Long story short he mentioned to me that he has some Barndoor parts that he might let go to the right project. He offered them to me after I told him about my project and my idea of how I want to build it. He gave me a very fair price on the parts and I feel like I struck gold for this project. I never expected to find this many solid Barndoor panels and peaces for this project.
Its been a while but I am slowly taking them apart and have figured out a game plan on what I am using and where.
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

What an awesome collection of original BD panels! This build is right up my street 😊😊😎😜
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

bally wrote:
What an awesome collection of original BD panels! This build is right up my street 😊😊😎😜

Now I have to make this bus worthy of getting these parts.
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

rxBusboy wrote:
bally wrote:

Now I have to make this bus worthy of getting these parts.

I’ve got a feeling that’s going to happen 😜😜
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Great score on the og barndoor sheet metal, that should really help. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on this bus, it will be an awesome bus when you're done I'm sure

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LeleProppella
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Can't wait to see it when its done!
It's gonna be a beauty! Laughing
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

I have most of a barndoor dogleg if you need some more original metal.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
I have most of a barndoor dogleg if you need some more original metal.

Thanks a lot Lind, I would like to check out the dog leg. I also have a lot of left over metal peace’s that I’m going to post pics of on here in case someone can use them.
DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Hey Donny- Great to see you back on the project. I'm really happy the sheet metal went to a great use! Hope to catch up soon.
flat59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

any news on this old lady rxBusboy?
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

flat59 wrote:
any news on this old lady rxBusboy?

Yes, I'll be posting more pics soon. I just struggle uploading them and converting them smaller .
johnny d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

I will wait for them... Very Happy
&
VWKernzentrale since 2007
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

I just posted pictures from my phone. That’s a lot easier. Lately I’m cleaning up the parts I got from Dave and getting them ready to install.
I came to the conclusion I want to start with the rear wheel wells , fire wall and tray above tranny. I’m going to repair and save what I can but I have some serious rust I’m dealing with.
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

I like to take all my parts down to original paint or bare metal if all og paint is gone. This is brainless work that I like to do at night usually to unwind from a stressful day. Depending on how many paint layers , how thick the paint is and how hard or soft it is will determine what I start with. I’ve started with 80 grit at times but like to be around 400 grit on the final layer until it’s thin. Once it’s thin and I’m almost to original paint I like to wet sand with 1000 grit. I used to use chemicals and strippers but Derek Gregg talked me out of it and I think he’s made his original paint shine as good or better than anyone.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: