Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

value difference grafting 3 fold in 54
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
386kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: value difference grafting 3 fold in 54 Reply with quote

hey guys just a curious question, i picked up a 54 oval that is a very solid car, only metal work needed is spare tire and a hole about 2x4 inches under battery tray. car has all original parts on it from factory except missing the engine. iceland green car that the paint was striped and resprayed years ago. i own a body shop and do restorations for a living and im just now taking the car apart to be put on whirly jig for a complete restoration. i am planning on building this car to keep because it is such a nice solid car but we all know that things change and it may go for sale one day, my question is i have a 3 fold i cut out of a 55 that i was planning on building a custom split down the road and using it for that. dont know if that is ever going to happen or not. if i graft in a 3 fold to my 54 what kind of value difference will that make when i go to sell? lets just say car will be worth 25k as original, would it only be worth 20 with the graft? and of course the graft will be done right and not hacked in.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carnut63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: value difference grafting 3 fold in 54 Reply with quote

Tough to say. All things being equal a grafted ragtop would be worth less than a original one. But I don’t believe it will “hurt” the value of an original hard top.

---> Mar 2 1955 Strato Silver Oval <---
---> July 1957 ragtop project <---
---> May 5 1966 Ghia <---
---> 1962 Ruby Red Deluxe (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: value difference grafting 3 fold in 54 Reply with quote

… DEPENDS ON WHO IS BUYING AND WHEN - I'D SAY, GO FOR IT - you probably would not loose with a 3 fold - you'd def loose with a 2 fold - sounds like a plan.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: value difference grafting 3 fold in 54 Reply with quote

I don't think it would affect the value negatively at all if done right.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: value difference grafting 3 fold in 54 Reply with quote

I love early 3-fold ovals and have thought about this a lot and would prefer an original but if I had a hardtop I would still want a sunroof so I would do a graft. And I would buy one that already has a graft over a hardtop as long as it was done well. An original would be worth the most but I would still pay at least as much for a well grafted 3-fold as a hardtop if not a bit more. Years ago when I was 17, I had a 54 with a 2-fold grafted in (before I knew the difference) and I am sure that it would be a hard sell and be worth a lot less and have seen similar cars sit on here for a long time and they would not interest me.
olo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: value difference grafting 3 fold in 54 Reply with quote

Personally I wouldn’t cut into original but it’s your car
rlmartinez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: value difference grafting 3 fold in 54 Reply with quote

I had a 3 fold installed into my 54. the roof of my car was wavy and would have required work to bring it back. I made the decision to spend the money and get the rag top.
Best decision i have ever made. I enjoy the car more. I do not think it takes any value away and actually adds value as it is still more desirable than a hard top.
386kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: value difference grafting 3 fold in 54 Reply with quote

If the roof was wavy i wouldnt think twice. I guess my problem is i know my luck and the day i cut into roof im going to find a split with a wavy roof. Im glad to hear the positives from you. I know purist dont like to hear stuff like that. My last 2 bugs were rags a 56 and 57 and i guess. Spoiled. If i restore car without rag im not going to enjoy driving it. Never had a 3 fold and i heard its even better
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: value difference grafting 3 fold in 54 Reply with quote

I'm sort of a purist and it doesn't Bug me at all.

If you told me you had a nice low mileage all original paint car and were cutting it in? That would seem like a mistake to me.

If it's being painted and restored, go for it.

I don't own a Bug right now but I wouldn't buy one to keep and drive unless it was a Ragtop. I had a '56 Rag. Once you have a Ragtop car, you can't go backward.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
getgeoff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: value difference grafting 3 fold in 54 Reply with quote

I did it to mine
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

volksartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: value difference grafting 3 fold in 54 Reply with quote

My 54 had a two fold badly installed. Overlap and bondo. I cut it back out even before I found my three fold clip... I was going three fold or back to hardtop regardless. I now have the 3 fold to fit. I hope to enjoy it despite not being original to the car. The car will be improved from how I got it for sure!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: