Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro - Needle grease original driveshaft u-joints
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro - Needle grease original driveshaft u-joints Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
I was a little surprised about the RPM and how it doesn't seem to agree with the drill mfr's recommendations..

Thanks for the kudos xoo00oox. It's a suprise to no one how theSamba (and any discussion) just works better when the tone is to help to help, rather than jumping in first to do a beatdown (as the old days).

I never would have imagined sharpening that carbide bit.

The drill speed is set by a combination of bit size and material being cut. For mild steel when you have it right the chip will come off in long strings rather than bits and bites.

There’s about 18 angles on a drill bit to get right. A machinist can sharpen free hand, my Dad could, I have to use a jig tool.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro - Needle grease original driveshaft u-joints Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
A machinist can sharpen free hand, my Dad could, I have to use a jig tool.

I'm not a machinist, but I'm a good "eye-baller" - I can sharpen drills free-hand.
This comes with a problem, sort of.
A regular guy can throw away dull drills and just buy new ones but when you can sharpen them,
you have to keep the dull and broken drillbits and they tend to pile up.
And you have to waste time sifting thru them.

Those broken Banggood carbide bits for example.....
Now that I can sharpen carbide, I had to go dig those out of the trash can.
OK enough of that.

==========

There's a couple flies in the ointment.

1) So I need to address the Guibo. See other thread HERE.

2) The very last cup that I greased,,,, It didn't wanna take grease. Then it let go with a "pop" and clean grease came out. Not the old black grease followed by a mix, and the eventual clean. Just a tiny it of black followed by 100% clean.

That suggests this bearing was dry, maybe even rusted etc.
I didn't inspect the seal etc, sometimes you can see rust-dust at the seal.
I should'da looked, but it was almost 8PM & I was getting lazy and wanted out from under the van.
Dangit..... for 7 holes I was "confident".

Now I know that the front u-joints gonna want some attention anyway.....
So should I watch and wait or do it now?

-->The drilling was sorta fun.
-->I'll watch and wait.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For now I've identified that one cup with an extra dollop.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro - Needle grease original driveshaft u-joints Reply with quote

4 months UPDATE
....all dollops look exactly like they did 4 months ago.
The Permatex UltraGray® method works fine (as expected).
The drive shaft rotates appx 3400 RPM at highway speeds (w/4.86).

There's just a little thrown ring of grease spatters around my u-joints.
The driveline is still quiet no change from before the greasing, as expected and as per the goal. But 4 months is nothing.

So this one cup that didn't wanna grease like the others.

Quote:
2) The very last cup that I greased,,,, It didn't wanna take grease. Then it let go with a "pop" and clean grease came out. Not the old black grease followed by a mix, and the eventual clean. Just a tiny it of black followed by 100% clean.

That suggests this bearing was dry, maybe even rusted etc.

I scraped the dollop off with a screwdriver and greased it again. This time it put out red+black grease. A little 'mixed'. So the grease that I put in 4 months ago is at least getting worked in there.

Seems like it's going OK in there.

I pumped the red-black mix out until it came out clean red, and re-dolloped.
So that's cup #8 of 8 now has clean grease (after 190,000+ miles).

The Q is, how long will it be until the u-joints "require" replacement. I guess I can wait to find out.

Still gotta check on the Guibo....

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro - Needle grease original driveshaft u-joints Reply with quote

Well it's been 25,000 miles and the driveline is still silent.
I'm tempted to grease again just to see what color comes out.

I need to check my Giubo, theres a little bushing in there that needs grease too.

Incidentally Giubo is pronounced "jyu-bo".

Kinda wish i could just open a zipper or something & grease it up, you know like "Borat 2 Rudy Giuliani Scene". Wink
But I will have to unbolt the shaft and then I'll certainly check the color of the grease.

Last edited by Sodo on Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:34 am; edited 3 times in total
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro - Needle grease original driveshaft u-joints Reply with quote

I’m still subscribed to this fascinating tale of grease , needles , and UJs

Very Happy
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro - Needle grease original driveshaft u-joints Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I’m still subscribed to this fascinating tale of grease , needles , and UJs

As you age, memories get mixed up, exacerbated by the onset of social media.
You are probably thinking of the 1971 movie "Shaft".

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro - Needle grease original driveshaft u-joints Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Incidentally Giubo is pronounced "jyu-bo".

JOO-boh. Giunto Boschi. Boschi Joint. Designed by Antonio Boschi.

Maybe really enunciate with your hands too. Laughing
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro - Needle grease original driveshaft u-joints Reply with quote

4G4T my hands are flailing about!

Anyway this greased shaft is still quiet at 210,000 miles.
Still haven't greased the "jyoo-bo", but I will !

================

I got ahold of another driveshaft with only 43,000 miles and decided to exchange the grease in that one too.

So here's the hole with the harbor-freight diamond re-sharpened (from broken)n carbide spade bit.

If I was sharpening another spade bit for needle-greasing...... I'd be inclined to grind it at a very steep angle. That way it pierces the volume with more warning before it breaks thru.
This is theory - I have not tested this drillbit shape.
Again, the desire is to have the smallest hole and thus loose the smallest amount of particles into the bearing.

OK here's the 43k miles Syncro shaft, greased & dollopped with Permatex Ultra Gray®.
There is the dilemma, between getting the old grease out and introducing little steel bits from drilling (on this 43k shaft). But I did it.....
But any OTHER shaft with ~150,000 etc, clearly it's best to exchange the grease!
And especially before it gets dry!

================

Note this 43k driveline has original U-joints and there is a shim under the circlip.
All the more reason, (I say) to grease it without disturbing it.
And as such, it seems wise to put new grease into the U-joints as early as possible, while they're still quiet.

================

A housekeeping note for preserving your tube of Permatex Ultra Gray®!

The plastic cap is semi-permeable to oxygen thus a plug still hardens in the end after awhile.
Aluminum foil blocks the oxygen and it remains un-cured at the center for a long time.
Lay the foil as flat (un-wrinkled) as possible.
You don't have to over-tighten the cap.
Overtightening splits the cap too.
Tinfoil seems to work even if you have already split the cap.
Digging the tinfoil out the threads can take awhile too, but whatever you enjoy more... Wink

Ronzo_volvo_guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro - Needle grease original driveshaft u-joints Reply with quote

Sodo;

This is great stuff! I also say SCREW! to the "maintenance-free" UJs (and Ball Joints, and Batteries)...I call them unmaintainable!!...and I also advocate drilling and adding Zerks, but just banging a hole in there with a carbide bit still gets the important bit of being able to service them done.

I also like the ultra-gray sealant trick...but I must ask...with all grease around the hole acting as a parting agent, how do you prep and clean the area so the sealant has a chance of staying adhered and in place? ...your "dollops" seem to stay in place well!...am I needlessly concerned here? Is wiping enough? I would think spraying the area with a grease cutter, there would be a chance to get the grease cutter into the hole and negatively affect the grease in the joint?

I hereby award you a virtual Weissbier (with cheese) today, redeemable for the real thing next time you're in Connecticut. (No BS!...contact me to redeem, and I'm serious!)

Cheers
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro - Needle grease original driveshaft u-joints Reply with quote

I have added zerks before.
A Zerk on something that already runs 200,000 with original grease is in the overkill / hobby zone anyway.

I kinda think if you do this one time, flushing out the bedding-in grease, you're done. How much farther will you drive this antique?

And scraping off the sealant, re-greasing is pretty darned easy. Almost easier than the (seldom) grease nipple problems that do arise.

Zerks are over-and-above-kill and would encourage a mess around the u-joints. But you can't thread the cups anyway.

The hobbyist looking for shop activities could disassemble and drill the cross ???

===========

Regarding the parting agent theory, I just wiped it well then sprayed starting fluid onto paper towel and de-greased.

I fully understand the parting agent aspect, but have done this so many times (over ~40 years) the concern has long since passed.
Silicone adheres.
To appease yourself, test it on a shop scrap - wipe the grease but DON'T further degrease with a solvent. Leave a barely visible wetness of grease. You will find that silicone adheres right thru the ( thin) grease layer. A simple wipe with a solvent is actually overkill.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro - Needle grease original driveshaft u-joints Reply with quote

I see the talk about drill bit sharpening and I have been using this tool which makes it easy to sharpen the drill bits.
The downside is that it is a a hundred bucks, but when you walk into a situation where the guys working there previously just kept buying boxes of drill bit sets because they just wore them all out and buy new to replace them this becomes cheap.

It works and fairly easy to use.

The "Drill Doctor" From 50 bucks up to 129 bucks.
https://www.amazon.com/drill-doctor/s?k=drill+doctor

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro - Needle grease original driveshaft u-joints Reply with quote

Does drill Doctor have a diamond stone for carbide bits?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: