Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Doka Transporter Question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElChucoDoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Doka Transporter Question Reply with quote

My family has recently come into possession of a 1986 (I think) Doka. Auto transmission and 2wd I believe. Admittedly, I dont know anything about these. Seems to be in decent shape from what I can tell. Runs well and stops well. A little rust but seems common for what I believe is its age.

Can anyone here tell anything more about this vehicle by looking at the pics below? TIA for the help.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Doka Transporter Question Reply with quote

Definitely a 2wd.
It has rear side markers so it is probably Canadian.
ElChucoDoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Doka Transporter Question Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Definitely a 2wd.
It has rear side markers so it is probably Canadian.

Good call. it does have a "Nordest Audi Montreal" decal
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Doka Transporter Question Reply with quote

First automatic I've ever seen in a Doka FWIW.
Was originally white, but not a Tristar
Engine is a stock Vanagon engine (not an engine swap), if the little sticker next to your gas door says something about 98 octane then you may have a DJ engine.

We can tell you far more if you can get a picture of the paper sticker that is located underneath the dash near the fuse box, close to where your left knee would be if you were driving.
ElChucoDoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Doka Transporter Question Reply with quote

SyncroButter wrote:
Engine is a stock Vanagon engine (not an engine swap), if the little sticker next to your gas door says something about 98 octane then you may have a DJ engine.

We can tell you far more if you can get a picture of the paper sticker that is located underneath the dash near the fuse box, close to where your left knee would be if you were driving.

Does the VIN help?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Doka Transporter Question Reply with quote

SyncroButter wrote:

I know of a few, not my cup-o-tea.
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Doka Transporter Question Reply with quote

First auto I’ve ever seen as well. Weird.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Doka Transporter Question Reply with quote

ElChucoDoka wrote:
SyncroButter wrote:

Does the VIN help?

VIN will only confirm manufacture year, not much info there beyond what is apparent in the pictures. The paper sticker under the dash will list the manufacture info from the factory including all of your options and configuration, where the vehicle was originally delivered, paint code, etc.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Doka Transporter Question Reply with quote

I'm no doka expert, but I know that thing is awesome. Congratulations!
pdxleaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Doka Transporter Question Reply with quote

The vin could help determine if it was Canadian or European. I have a Canadian 2wd Doka originally sold in BC. If the middle of the vin has ZZZ's then it was European. If not, likely North American. Yours has the federal sticker in the read lid, which mine has. Do you have shoulder belts in the rear? Canadian's likely all had those and not all Europeans. not 100% certain.

If you have power steering, that is also an unusual option. mine has it, it's nice but not really necessary. non power drives easily too.

Rust is not good, dings are great. Dings mean you can drive it and use it without worrying about going to the lumber yard or dump. Be careful though, the guy at the compost yard is always trying to buy mine. Don't be tricked into selling it.

There is a little plastic tab covering a hole at the bottom of the chassis near the rear on both sides of the cab. debris can fill up the drip hole, which collects and can cause rust. you should clean that out if it's clogged.

if you are new to vanagons, check out the faq file. there's a lot of info on things to check on new vehicles. Once you get the maintenance up to date, it should be a good driver. Check your tires to make sure they are rated for a truck. If not, it won't handle as well and could be dangerous if loaded.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: