Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia co. doesnt acknowledge their past?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Westfalia co. doesnt acknowledge their past? Reply with quote

In the process of restoring my 77 westy poptop and luggage racks, I have been trying to determine if the westfalia script sticker and/or the small side stickers were original equipment or not. I read multiple posts here and various opinions and decided to just ask the source and sent an email to the Westfalia Co. I simply asked my same question to them and heres what I got for a response.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is there a history that I missed between VW and Wetfalia? I appreciate that I even got a response, but that was a little disheartening. Westfalia is still making campers and conversions, but maybe not for the new VW bus? They have Fords and Mercedes all over their site.

Anyways, anyone want to chime in about whether or not they think the stickers were put there originally or not.

Go Bruins!

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia co. doesnt acknowledge their past? Reply with quote

No surprise, most larger companies who's product and management changes dramatically on a regular basis don't give a damn what they did 40+ years ago.

As for stickers a 77 would have had a small one with the colored horse logo on each side of the luggage rack near the back, no stickers of any kind on the pop top (that's a 79 only deal).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia co. doesnt acknowledge their past? Reply with quote

ok, thanks for that. will be ordering those horse ones.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia co. doesnt acknowledge their past? Reply with quote

Westfalia Van Conversion went bankrupt a little over ten years ago. They sold off the Westfalia Museum and the company was later reorganized out of bankruptcy. The current corporate entity is distinct from our classic conversions unfortunately.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westfalia

Just a regular guy
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia co. doesnt acknowledge their past? Reply with quote

on a side note, so did callaway cars....I live about 30 mins from them and stopped in to talk about a scirocco I had that they built. zero interest in their past

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia co. doesnt acknowledge their past? Reply with quote

Yep. You are now one of several I know of including myself that has asked for any history or leads on where to find it.

Its just as everyone is saying. They have been bought and sold too many times over the last 20 odd years and have long lost any ties to what we have. Most people that collect older Westfalia stuff, especially VW related, knows vastly more than anyone currently employed at Westfalia Werks today.

Closest I have come to gaining any first hand stories or information was from the children of workers at the old factory. Sadly those old duffers are dead and I was the one putting a smile on the kids faces with old pics from those days.

Maybe some day a chest with cool information will be found. Till then - make sure you get the sticker with the correct horse and not the modern one. Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia co. doesnt acknowledge their past? Reply with quote

if you speak German you can go as far back as about 2008 on Archive.org under Westfalia-Werke . The english pages aren't saved.
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia co. doesnt acknowledge their past? Reply with quote

The Westfalia script was a '79-only item, and only on the rear
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia co. doesnt acknowledge their past? Reply with quote

lot of literature here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/type2_2.php
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia co. doesnt acknowledge their past? Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
. Till then - make sure you get the sticker with the correct horse and not the modern one. Wink

Wait, what? What of this correct horse you speak of? Is his mane parted, does he stand on up on the wrong foot, is he facing the wrong way? Surely I cant be expected to know to NOT buy the correct f’in horse logo! Oh what cruel intentions these nuggets of wisdom do impart. I will now toss and turn all night dreading I pick the wrong logo. Sweet dreams.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia co. doesnt acknowledge their past? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
lot of literature here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/type2_2.php

Speed control! Oh hells yeah! I gotta find that one.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia co. doesnt acknowledge their past? Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
notchboy wrote:
. Till then - make sure you get the sticker with the correct horse and not the modern one. Wink

Wait, what? What of this correct horse you speak of? Is his mane parted, does he stand on up on the wrong foot, is he facing the wrong way? Surely I cant be expected to know to NOT buy the correct f’in horse logo! Oh what cruel intentions these nuggets of wisdom do impart. I will now toss and turn all night dreading I pick the wrong logo. Sweet dreams.

That brought a smile to my face! Wink
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia co. doesnt acknowledge their past? Reply with quote

Wrong

Right

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia co. doesnt acknowledge their past? Reply with quote

Recognize this pic?

I see, it appears that the tail on fire is what im looking for. Copy, thanks. I will now hassle every merchant and demand tail on fire horse, to which I expect to be told, GFY!

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia co. doesnt acknowledge their past? Reply with quote

It boils down to an era correct version. I think the latter came about during the '90s? Not sure. See when I started the rabbit hole, I bought the wrong shit. It was all that was out there. Since then there has been a nice upswing in guys that want the right stuff and make it themselves and sell extras to other like-minded people.

If you are really good and keep paying attention, I'll show you the secret handshake and introduce you to Marty. He closes up at night but will let you stay if you bring a certain 5th of magic elixir. Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia co. doesnt acknowledge their past? Reply with quote

Sportsmobile buses were converted just down the road from here in the next town over. They're still in business. I keep meaning to stop by someday (even though I don't own a Sportsmobile), but I get the feeling no one there will care or know anything about the old conversions.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia co. doesnt acknowledge their past? Reply with quote

blue72beetle wrote:
Sportsmobile buses were converted just down the road from here in the next town over. They're still in business. I keep meaning to stop by someday (even though I don't own a Sportsmobile), but I get the feeling no one there will care or know anything about the old conversions.

Sportsmobile is the exception and by far a true survivor within the Camping/RV/Outdoor market. If I wanted to travel the states, Id get a proper rig from them for sure. They do some kick ass work.

Oh and I want to visit this place as well!

Link

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: