Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Renogy solar controller in night mode (solved)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jd56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Renogy solar controller in night mode (solved) Reply with quote

I have a Renogy solar controller. I wired the leads that day battery to a fuse block that has a breaker before it goes to the battery. Wired the panel to the panel slot. My controller says it’s in night mode and I don’t understand why. Did I wire it wrong. Is the panels supposed to go the fuse block?
nsmal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Rengoy solar controller Reply with quote

It sounds like you hooked it up right, but make sure you have the polarity of the panels correct going into the controller. I had a Renogy solar kit at one point and I think the polarity of the panels wasn't immediately obvious as it usually is via some kind of color convention or markings.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rengoy solar controller Reply with quote

The controller will go into night mode if there's not enough sunlight on the panel to persuade the controller it's daytime.

The controller should be wired directly to the battery via a fuse, and the fusebox for the loads should be on a separate connection to the battery. I prefer to locate the breaker between the battery negative and frame ground, with the negative connection(s) to the controller also going to frame ground.
Jd56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rengoy solar controller Reply with quote

I just tried switching the post and the rover came on and said acr flashing wouldn’t do anything. So I assumed that was backwards. It’s producing st the terminals just days night mode. Ugh
nsmal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rengoy solar controller Reply with quote

Which connections did you switch?

Best practice here would be using a voltmeter to check polarity of the panels, as well as voltage they're producing.
Jd56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rengoy solar controller Reply with quote

Figured it out. I had the pv wired backwards when I switched the first time it still didn’t work, went back to original didn’t work, went back again now working.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: