Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'97 auto trans won't shift out of Park- whazzup?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: '97 auto trans won't shift out of Park- whazzup? Reply with quote

I didn't have it registered over the winter, and was a bit surprised in Jan or Feb when I thought I'd check it, that it started right up w/o charging the battery. I drove it around the block, and put it back under the tarp. Didn't get back to it till late May, and (no surprise) needed to leave it on trickle charge for a few hours- but then started fine again. I stepped on the brake pedal and pushed in the thumb-button to pull it to another gear-- but it seemed (and still does seem) locked in Park. Since the driveway has a modest slope, giving it a moderate pressure toward the rear, I thought I'd eliminate that by putting in a counter-acting pressure by pushing it forward a bit by pulling my Vanagon up behind it and moving it about an inch forward, despite the tranny-lock. The friend in the Eurovan could not budge the shifter either.
So: does anyone know enough about the shifter-linkage or the tranny itself to make an educated guess of what is keeping it from shifting, which was never a problem before? My regular mechanic doesn't have an answer, and before I have it towed to his place I'd like to know if it's a simple trick to get it back to normal.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: '97 auto trans won't shift out of Park- whazzup? Reply with quote

I wish I could remember more of the specifics right now, but we had that happen with one of our EVs, and it seems like it was related to the shift lockout that the brake pedal releases -- like the brake pedal switch wasn't set right or working right, so it never released the shifter, or something along those lines.

I also don't recall off-hand where that lockout actually locks, but if you haven't taken the cover off the floor portion, you might pull that up and take a look there too.

Sorry I don't have more to work with -- I'm not where I can pull the record of it or the manual -- but hopefully those to bits might help you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: '97 auto trans won't shift out of Park- whazzup? Reply with quote

If it's like Audis, then it may have cables going to both the brake pedal and the ignition switch. VAG was super paranoid about this safety feature after the whole Audi 5000 "Unintended Acceleration" PR fiasco.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
pringle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: '97 auto trans won't shift out of Park- whazzup? Reply with quote

I have just started to experience the same problem on my 97 EVC -W.
Did you ever get this resolved?
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '97 auto trans won't shift out of Park- whazzup? Reply with quote

pringle wrote:
I have just started to experience the same problem on my 97 EVC -W.
Did you ever get this resolved?

No replies here on the site- as you can see. As it was a van I bought w/the idea of moving from my '87 Westy to a newer camper, so I haven't pushed, like having it towed to somewhere- at a fee. But I did get word of a German car mechanic here in the metro DC area who likes old VW vans and who makes house calls. Just haven't coordinated and phone-bullied him enough to get the deed done. He says it's not too complex- just the safety lockout that won't unlock. When It gets done I'll post the results. And meanwhile, if you get any hints, post here so I'll see it- thanks!
jimbomitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: '97 auto trans won't shift out of Park- whazzup? Reply with quote

Just experienced this on my 2000GLS. Replacing the brake switch cured the problem. Very easy and inexpensive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mvaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: '97 auto trans won't shift out of Park- whazzup? Reply with quote

second the break switch. newer ones (green) are much better.

1C0945511ANAR
pringle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: '97 auto trans won't shift out of Park- whazzup? Reply with quote

is this a simple DIY for a non mechanic or should I go to the shop?
JMB3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: '97 auto trans won't shift out of Park- whazzup? Reply with quote

pringle wrote:

This article doesn't discuss the brake light switch, but instead addresses the cruise control switch that sits right next to it. Maybe it can help you decide whether you can DIY it. Or maybe not. https://vweurovan.fandom.com/wiki/Cruise_Control_Brake_Switch
jimbomitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: '97 auto trans won't shift out of Park- whazzup? Reply with quote

pringle wrote:

It's really a pretty simple procedure, no tools required. Follow the brake pedal up towards the dash, look for a small plastic switch with a plug going to it. It will either be a 2 wire plug or 4 wire plug connected to it. The 2 wire plug switch is black, the 4 is green. Given your year I'm pretty sure the switch will be the black with two wires. They are very inexpensive, I bought mine on eBay for about $12.00 shipped. Even came with instructions. To remove just turn the switch counter clock wise, unplug the connector and replace. The brake pedal needs to be down when you install the switch. The green switch uses another procedure.

Here' what I bought: https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-VW-Beetle-Cabriolet-E...Swa3Fb7jNV

This is a common occurances on EV's, don't fiddle with anything else until you replace this switch.

Another tidbit: You should be able to get the van in gear by turning the ignition key a quarter turn (before the indicator lights come on) and with the brake applied place the shifter in between neutral and drive (or reverse depending on which direction of travel you want), keeping foot on brake the van should start. Slide into D or R and you're on your way,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pringle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: '97 auto trans won't shift out of Park- whazzup? Reply with quote

Thank you for the info - I ordered the part on ebay. In the meantime I tried your TidBit and low and behold it worked like a charm - which is good to know.

Took 'minnie winnie' for a ride and moving into gear is still a bit flaky but will put in the new part when it arrives.
pringle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: '97 auto trans won't shift out of Park- whazzup? Reply with quote

Well - I got the part and following your directions to the letter changed the part and VIOLA - it worked just great.
Thanks for your help in this jimbomitch -

have a safe and healthy 2020 to you all.
jimbomitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: '97 auto trans won't shift out of Park- whazzup? Reply with quote

Good to hear!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: