Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW cassette player stuck in SAFE mode (solved)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:08 am    Post subject: VW cassette player stuck in SAFE mode (solved) Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience with their vw cassette players. This one, whenever you disconnect the battery you then need to punch in a security code number into the cassette player to get it working again (what an absurd feature!)...
...anyhow, normally my 0000 code works. Sometimes in the past if I had forgotten the code and punched in some wrong codes I then needed to unplug the unit and wait 24 or 48 hours, then I could try again...
...currently when I turn it on if just reads "SAFE" and it won't even let me punch in any codes... nothing... just "SAFE".
So I disconnected it and let it sit for 48 hours, and now still the same thing. "SAFE" . . . . . . won't allow me to even punch in any numbers.

Does anyone have any idea how to solve this?

Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: VW cassette player from Hell! ...won't *unblock* Reply with quote

I like that unit, I have one installed in my van.
Are you on good terms with your VW dealer?
I have a couple of those and with the serial number from the radio, the parts counter was able to supply me with the factory security code.

The feature was to prevent theft, radio removed, the unit locks up.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: VW cassette player from Hell! ...won't *unblock* Reply with quote

In Volvo the SAFE mode is cleared by letting the unit sit with Key on for three hours. Thinking about it, that makes more sense that a timer will need juice To clear.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: VW cassette player from Hell! ...won't *unblock* Reply with quote

hmmm.... I already have the security code *0000* it used to work ...I guess I could try to 3 hours with "key-on" trick.

kinda at a loss at this point > sure would be nice to have tunes on our upcoming trip.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: VW cassette player from Hell! ...won't *unblock* Reply with quote

These new-fangled cassette players just have too many so-called 'features' for their own good. In this case, you may need to revert to your backup 8-track player.

When do you leave on your trip? I can ship you my vast collection of Porter Wagoner and Conway Twitty.

(Sorry, I'm keeping all the Johnny Cash ...)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: VW cassette player from Hell! ...won't *unblock* Reply with quote

Call your local VW dealer and give them the serial number. They should be able to look up the code.

Or they'll just hang up on you.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: VW cassette player from Hell! ...won't *unblock* Reply with quote

Success!!!!!!

There are quite a few vids on YT on this topic so after watching a pile of those, it seemed like the best possible solution was to leave it turned ON - and just walk away for one hour. Did that, came back and the player was OFF... so I turned it back ON, and low-and-behold. . . it kicked out of SAFE MODE and allowed me once again to punch in the security code, and bingo - it works!

Thanks for the offer for the 8 tracks, but if you're withholding Mr. Cash, then forget it Very Happy ...actually, practically the only musician I listen to on our hippy-bus trips is Kelly Joe Phelps. These trips have become almost synonymous with his voice and guitar >>> I just can sit for hours in GEorge looking at the lake, chomping on roasted sunflower seeds and dates, listening to KJP. He inspires me incredibly...
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: VW cassette player from Hell! ...won't *unblock* Reply with quote

Good work! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: VW cassette player from Hell! ...won't *unblock* Reply with quote

leecat wrote:
Good work! Smile

Thanks! Gotta have TUNES!!
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: VW cassette player from Hell! ...won't *unblock* Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
Success!!!!!!

There are quite a few vids on YT on this topic so after watching a pile of those, it seemed like the best possible solution was to leave it turned ON - and just walk away for one hour. Did that, came back and the player was OFF... so I turned it back ON, and low-and-behold. . . it kicked out of SAFE MODE and allowed me once again to punch in the security code, and bingo - it works!

Thanks for the offer for the 8 tracks, but if you're withholding Mr. Cash, then forget it Very Happy ...actually, practically the only musician I listen to on our hippy-bus trips is Kelly Joe Phelps. These trips have become almost synonymous with his voice and guitar >>> I just can sit for hours in GEorge looking at the lake, chomping on roasted sunflower seeds and dates, listening to KJP. He inspires me incredibly...

yep, BMW, Land Rover, and others all had the same deal. 1 hour with the key on 'usually' unlocks the radio from its' No Code For You Bucko Mode'.
The worst is when these types of Radios get older, and one of the Buttons doesn't really work well anymore, and you keep locking up the radio since that 1 number you're pushing isn't really sending out a valid signal to the IC chip on the board as part of your numeric code..... Twisted Evil
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: VW cassette player stuck in SAFE mode (solved) Reply with quote

yeah, it's funny - I also remember the day when those cassette radios were so valuable that they began with these security features.... seems laughable today > man you couldn't GIVE away these things these days. But now those of us still with them have to struggle Very Happy
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: VW cassette player from Hell! ...won't *unblock* Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
... practically the only musician I listen to on our hippy-bus trips is Kelly Joe Phelps. These trips have become almost synonymous with his voice and guitar...

Geez, I make an unhelpful wisecrack and I'm repaid with a hot tip on a great delta-blues-country guitarist (love the Samba!). That guy kills it on the National Resonator! Adding to my road trip playlist.

Thanks, Edward, and happy (tuneful) travels!

Link

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: VW cassette player from Hell! ...won't *unblock* Reply with quote

Jeffrey Lee wrote:
epowell wrote:
... practically the only musician I listen to on our hippy-bus trips is Kelly Joe Phelps. These trips have become almost synonymous with his voice and guitar...

Geez, I make an unhelpful wisecrack and I'm repaid with a hot tip on a great delta-blues-country guitarist (love the Samba!). That guy kills it on the National Resonator! Adding to my road trip playlist.

[YT clip]

That's one of my FAV clips... this one also...
This is VANAGON MUSIC IMO Smile

Link

epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cassette player stuck in SAFE mode (solved) Reply with quote

...now the weirdest thing >>> one of the speakers is not working [???]
Speaker wire all seems good.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: VW cassette player from Hell! ...won't *unblock* Reply with quote

Jeffrey Lee wrote:
epowell wrote:

Link

Very cool. Phelps recorded that album in Vancouver, too! Cool
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cassette player stuck in SAFE mode (solved) Reply with quote

Is that true?
...what is really sad is that from 2016 he just quit music and disappeared. I'm really sad about that.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cassette player stuck in SAFE mode (solved) Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
Is that true?
...what is really sad is that from 2016 he just quit music and disappeared. I'm really sad about that.

Quote:
In January 2013, he announced a hiatus from touring due to ulnar neuropathy in his right hand and arm.

Quote:
Firstly, thank you all so very much for the kindness, patience, well-wishings, and helpful suggestions that have been rolling in since January, when I was forced to take a lengthy breather due to an unexpected and surprising ulnar nerve issue in my right arm. Fortunately, I’m able to tell you that thru both rest and therapy the healing is coming around, sensation is returning, and my picking hand is starting to work like normal again. It’ll be another few months yet before I can get back to work, but come this summertime I’ll start getting out there again with both hands working fine, and picking a couple of very lonely guitars!
via http://www.kellyjoephelps.net/news/index.htm

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cassette player stuck in SAFE mode (solved) Reply with quote

From KJP's facebook page (which is not run by him, so is therefore not necessarily reliable:

Kelly Joe Phelps
December 7, 2016 ·
Fans and friends of KJP, I asked Kelly Joe, in light of many enquiries about his whereabouts and health, to comment on his current whereabouts. Please keep in mind that KJP does not actively interact with this page or respond to messages sent here. Kelly Joe would like to share this message with you all:

Hello everyone,

I hope all is well and good for you folks, wherever this note finds you.

I’m aware that there has been much curiousity regarding my lengthy absence
from the music world. Fortunately, there is nothing to be worried or concerned
about. My health is fine, and my hand-neuropathy issues seem to have gone away as well.

Back in 2014 it became obvious to me that I needed and wanted to take a serious break from
touring, performing, writing and recording, and live within other parts of my life that had been
neglected for quite a long time. I had no idea how long that process would take when I started,
and I have no idea yet when it will end. However, it still feels like the right type of journey for now,
so I will be staying on it until some logical conclusion makes itself known.

Be good to each other, look after yourselves, and I’ll try not to wait so long to say “hello” next time!

All the best,

Kelly Joe

Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cassette player stuck in SAFE mode (solved) Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
From KJP's facebook page (which is not run by him, so is therefore not necessarily reliable:

Not to get too far into the weeds but why quote something you admit is unlikely to be reliable when his own site, that he presumably is involved, has information?

I wish people would think before quoting something they see on facebook… Carlin had a riff on the average person, reminding us that half the people we see are below that (if we humbly consider ourselves average). Why would I take anything posted by some attention-seeker with zero credibility as truth?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cassette player stuck in SAFE mode (solved) Reply with quote

Who knows?
But KJP's page does not list any news later than 2013!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: