Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

Starting at $17000 for a body, and they sell panels separate.

https://classicsteelbody.com/
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:

If they try to sell a complete skeleton plus the front nose installed, I wonder if VW will slap them with a cease and desist?
VW owns basic design patents on the silhouette of both the beetle and bus, and can stop anyone from copying them. Wonder if they will?

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

Interesting j.pickens, how does Gerson do it? And yes I know Gerson doesn't sell a complete bus.

j.pickens wrote:
67ctbug wrote:

If they try to sell a complete skeleton plus the front nose installed, I wonder if VW will slap them with a cease and desist?
VW owns basic design patents on the silhouette of both the beetle and bus, and can stop anyone from copying them. Wonder if they will?

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

I would guess design patents have gotten crustier than Desert Bus by now.

Remember what happened to the Mecum Bus when CA found the swapped VIN?

It’s 50 toasters now.
Vintage Auto Werks1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Interesting j.pickens, how does Gerson do it? And yes I know Gerson doesn't sell a complete bus.

j.pickens wrote:
67ctbug wrote:

Gerson sells to VW.

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/turaussenhaut-vw-bus-1955-1961-rechts.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

Interesting that they show different 'years' available and a single cab:

https://classicsteelbody.com/collections/bodies

All the pics are of a 21, and changes roof design if you drag over it, but no 23, maybe the website just isn't complete?

I like them if you want to go nuts on a custom and EV, but it will cost a crap ton to be road worthy- Which will in turn be good for all of the current and new vendors and shops that make and install all of the other aftermarket parts that are needed-beams, trans, motors, glass, rubber, interiors, etc.

Even with that said, how many do you think they will actually sell vs ultimately become another vender that sells repair panels?
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

JonL wrote:
Interesting that they show different 'years' available and a single cab:

https://classicsteelbody.com/collections/bodies

All the pics are of a 21, and changes roof design if you drag over it, but no 23, maybe the website just isn't complete?

I like them if you want to go nuts on a custom and EV, but it will cost a crap ton to be road worthy- Which will in turn be good for all of the current and new vendors and shops that make and install all of the other aftermarket parts that are needed-beams, trans, motors, glass, rubber, interiors, etc.

Even with that said, how many do you think they will actually sell vs ultimately become another vender that sells repair panels?

I'd probably snap one up pretty quick if they came with titles.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

If they do come with a title I think this will severely impact the Brazilian bus imports and panel/Kombi to 21 window conversions (which I think is a great thing).

Buy a bus shell and a junker bus, move all the bits that unbolt to the new shell and your in business with a rust-free bus to enjoy. The title will be the key.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

It looks like it could be a fairly straightforward process and very doable in California... (sorry for the massive post!)

From Classic Steel Body, the manufacturer:
"HOW DO I REGISTER MY CLASSIC STEEL BODY?
One question we get asked many times is, "How do I register my new body?". This is a fairly easy process that varies from state to state.
If you don't have an original chassis with title for your vehicle or Manufacturers Certificate of Origin (MSO), you need to register the vehicle as a "Newly Assembled" vehicle within your state of residence. Classic Steel Body does not issue an MSO, but we do issue a Bill of Sale (your invoice) from us or the dealer that you bought the body from. This invoice is considered an MSO by your states DMV (check your local regulations and laws).
In most cases, the Body Number issued by Classic Steel Body for your body will be used as or incorporated into the vehicle identification number (VIN) assigned by your states DMV when you register the vehicle.
Find out more information on your specific state regulations and laws by visiting the SEMA Action Network's page here:
https://www.semasan.com/resources/everything-you-n...-50-states "

From The California DMV:
"Specially-Constructed (SPCNS) Vehicles (FFVR 23)
You always need:
An Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) form.
The out-of-state title or manufacturer’s certificate/statement of origin and/or bill(s) of sale, invoice(s), or junk receipt(s) for major component parts.
A Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) or Application for Assigned Vehicle Identification Number Plate (REG 124) form.
A Statement of Construction (REG 5036) form.
Appropriate fees.
You may also need:
A Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262).
A Declaration of Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW)/Combined Gross Vehicle Weight (CGW) (REG 4008) form.
A Permanent Trailer Identification (PTI) Application/Certification (REG 4017) form.
A Statement of Facts (REG 256) form.
A motor vehicle bond.
A U.S. Department of Transportation Declaration of Importation of Motor Vehicles and Motor Vehicle Equipment Subject to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety, Burglary, and Theft Prevention Standards for Imported Parts (HS-7) form.
A Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) reference data sheet.
An SPCNS certificate of sequence number.
The out-of-state license plate(s).
A smog certificate.
A weight certificate.
Official brake and light adjustment certificates.
SPCNS Vehicles
SPCNS vehicles are built for private use, not built for resale, not repaired or restored to their original design by replacing parts, and not constructed by a licensed manufacturer or remanufacturer.

SPCNS vehicles are assembled from new, used, or a combination of new and used parts, a kit, or vehicles reported as dismantled (junk) as required by California Vehicle Code (CVC) §§5500 or 11520. The reconstructed junk vehicle cannot resemble the original production vehicle.

Nonqualifying Vehicle Examples
A Toyota modified with a Rolls Royce-like grill, cannot be registered as SPCNS, because it still resembles a Toyota.
A Harley Davidson motorcycle, modified with extended forks, cannot be registered as SPCNS because it still resembles a Harley Davidson.
A vehicle modified by a body change, with a title showing the correct vehicle make, cannot be registered as SPCNS.
SPCNS vehicles, including kit vehicles and trailers weighing 6,001 pounds or more unladen or with two or more axles, go to the California Highway Patrol (CHP) for vehicle identification number (VIN) verification or assignment.

Smog Certification
The first smog certification for an SPCNS vehicle must be issued by a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Referee Center. After inspecting the vehicle, the BAR Referee Center will issue a BAR reference data sheet and affix a BAR label to the vehicle. Subsequent smog inspections may be performed by any licensed smog check station when the BAR label is intact and emission equipment is the same.

Original California Registration
For an original California SPCNS vehicle registration, you must submit:

A completed Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) form.
The out-of-state title or manufacturer’s certificate/statement of origin (MCO/MSO). If these documents are not available, a receipt or invoice identifying the vehicle may be accepted.
Bill(s) of sale, invoices, or junk receipts for major component parts (engine, transmission, chassis, frame) and assembly, if assembled by someone other than the owner. An MCO/MSO for a complete vehicle is not acceptable proof of ownership for an SPCNS.
An Application for Assigned Vehicle Identification Number (REG 124) for VIN assignment (not year model) completed by CHP.
A Statement of Construction (REG 5036) form.
If the vehicle is assembled from parts of a vehicle you already own, obtain and submit a junk receipt for that vehicle, before using the parts on the SPCNS vehicle.
A Declaration of Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW)/Combined Gross Vehicle Weight (CGW) (REG 4008) form for commercial vehicles over 6,001 pounds unladen weight, except pickup trucks.
A Permanent Trailer Identification (PTI) Application/Certification (REG 4017) form for PTI trailers.
A motor vehicle bond if the vehicle value is $5,000 or more and receipts for major component parts are not submitted.
A U.S. Department of Transportation Declaration of Importation of Motor Vehicles and Motor Vehicle Equipment Subject to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety, Burglary, and Theft Prevention Standards for Imported Parts (HS-7) form.
A BAR reference data sheet or smog certificate, as appropriate.
A weight certificate for commercial motor vehicles under 10,001 pounds unladen weight. If operated over 10,000 GVW or as PTI, indicate the estimated weight on a Statement of Facts (REG 256) form.
Official brake and light adjustment certificates (not required for trailers under 3,000 pounds GVW).
Registration fees and use tax, as appropriate.
NOTE: Forms with the prefix “REG” are available at www.dmv.ca.gov.

Kit Vehicles
Kit vehicles are a set of parts that a manufacturer sells to a buyer who assembles them into a functioning car. Kit vehicles that qualify as SPCNS are built for private use, not built for resale, not built by a licensed manufacturer or remanufacturer, and comply with CVC §580. Kit vehicles are usually replicas of well-known classic vehicles but may be commercial vehicles and trailers.

Kit vehicles are registered by the manufacturer’s serial number and do not need a 17-digit VIN or model year. CHP usually completes a Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form with kit (KT) as the make. Cobra VINs starting with CSX must be changed to a CHP-assigned VIN.

SPCNS Certificate of Sequence
Each calendar year, DMV issues the first 500 applicants for an original SPCNS vehicle registration a Specially Constructed (SPCNS) Vehicle Certificate of Sequence (REG 5075). Applications received after the 500 certificates are issued for the calendar year will be evaluated by BAR according to BAR’s standard vehicle criteria.

Some nonresident vehicle registration applicants may be issued an SPCNS certificate of sequence when the out-of-state title identifies the vehicle make as SPCNS, homemade, assembled, etc. and the vehicle meets the SPCNS definition per CVC §580.

An SPCNS Certificate of Sequence cannot be transferred to a different vehicle or reissued in another name. If the vehicle is sold before the application is complete, the seller must provide the buyer with the SPCNS certificate of sequence, bill of sale, and other titling documents.

The applicant must provide all requirements listed in the Original California Registration section.

All documents will be thoroughly reviewed. If they show that the same company constructed, delivered, and issued major supporting invoices, the vehicle may not qualify for an SPCNS certificate of sequence. However, the vehicle may be registered as SPCNS with smog requirements.

Motorcycles and OHVs do not qualify for an SPCNS certificate of sequence."

From my quick interpretation, the SPCNS category looks like it could be a little tricky with the "resemblance" clauses, but this Bus body may fit into the Kit Car category. And the whole smog thing could be a hangup...what the hell engine would one put in it??? OE with OE equipment? Doubtful. Think
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

yeah, CA smog for anyone not hanging an old VIN on the new body will be an issue. they will want obd2 at minimum and it'll have to go through a referee
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

ok purists close your eyes. I would use a title that i may or may not have in my possesion for a 67 deluxe and then slap an electric motor in the mofo and rock it
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

Did I miss it? Where is all this new metal being stamped? Is it new stampings from China? Are the buying current panels and selling it and using it to build new buses?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Did I miss it? Where is all this new metal being stamped? Is it new stampings from China? Are the buying current panels and selling it and using it to build new buses?
They're from Taiwan. The company says they spent $2 Million+ on getting new dies made so that when put together the panel gaps would be perfect. So these are parts that have never been available before.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
They're from Taiwan. The company says they spent $2 Million+ on getting new dies made so that when put together the panel gaps would be perfect. So these are parts that have never been available before.

Thanks-

Somewhere Gerson and Wolfsburg West are not happy. Unless these new panels are crap.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

So weird that they don't do it right. The small hatch I get, piano hinge rear hatch is simpler than the later big window sprung assembly, but then why not include the corner windows? It's an obvious fake when done.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

Wow Vintage Auto Werks1 that is impressive that Gerson sells to VW.

I forgot China steals patents. Wink

Vintage Auto Werks1 wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

j.pickens wrote:
67ctbug wrote:

Gerson sells to VW.

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/turaussenhaut-vw-bus-1955-1961-rechts.html

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
67ctbug wrote:

I believe it is a trademark issue, not a patent issue. Advertising and selling a counterfeit trademarked product is a probably a bad idea. Mark my words, eventually someone will get stung hard because they don't understand the legalities of the situation.

For the record, I like the bodies, and I have always said that more split buses are a good thing. Whether they were built in Germany, Brazil, Columbia, Taiwan, Texas, or your own garage, more split buses is better than less split buses.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

Iffin is true they spent over $2 mill on dies and such, would it be hard to assume they also paid to get vw’s blessings? Confused
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
Iffin is true they spent over $2 mill on dies and such, would it be hard to assume they also paid to get vw’s blessings? Confused
Well I mean it isn't illegal for them to make repair panels I would assume. It's when they take those panels and spot weld them together where there might be a problem.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

Other companies have been doing this for years - early mustangs, bronco's and 40' Fords come to mind. If those companies can do it I don't see why this one can't as well.

http://dynacornbodies.com/

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Complete-Steel-Body-Kits

https://realdealsteel.com/c-1105809-bodies-1940-ford-coupe.html
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: