Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cooking
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jd56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Cooking Reply with quote

I know it’s probably posted a lot and I can’t seem to find it in search. What do you guys use while cooking on the road. Good portable grill, electric options? Just curious what people use.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooking Reply with quote

Westy kitchen (esp. when it's bad weather out)

I also carry a small butane backpacking stove
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooking Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
Westy kitchen...

Me too.

2 rules -

* No curry

* No fish
Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooking Reply with quote

Ditto.

Nearly two years ago we receive a new coleman stove for our wedding. I looked at it today as I headed out in the van and thought, I wonder if i'll ever use that? It's still new in the box.

The westy kitchen convenience is one of the top fun features of owning one of these. I just did a mountain bike ride and when I got back to the van I warmed up a quick lunch. It's just so nice.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooking Reply with quote

Westy stove.

We also bring a Camp Chef Everest stove for cooking outside. The second stove is overkill but we do it anyway. Very Happy

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-MS2HP-Mountain-Pr...amp;sr=8-4

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooking Reply with quote

I love the Westfalia kitchen. I also love setting up my Coleman stove on a picnic table and cooking outside, next to the firepit.
Jd56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooking Reply with quote

Yeah I am don’t have the Westy features yet. I may see myself buying one jere soon. Just got an old 1980 tintop.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooking Reply with quote

O-Grill 500

https://www.campingworld.com/pro-iroda-o-grill-portable-grill-92847.html

Eureka Spire LX

https://eurekacamping.johnsonoutdoors.com/cook/sto...gJXu_D_BwE
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooking Reply with quote

We have a 2 burner propane stove for when we tent camp. One feature I like is the burners have igniters. It’s got a small foot print and sets up and stows quickly. It’s a Coleman that came from Walmart. I remember it being inexpensive. The quality is nothing like the stove we grew up with.

Like others my wife “Loves her Kitchen” in our camper.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooking Reply with quote

Westy kitchen and a small hibachi for grilling outside. Campfire sometimes for hotdogs and for marshmallows.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooking Reply with quote

Westy stove, once or twice a day, every day unless hiking. Whatever food we want to eat, well-ventilated, Munsters playing on the laptop while doing so.

Deep cast iron skillet with a lid/pan, stainless lobster pot, 1985 MSR X-GK as backup or if propane runs out.
(Edit: have used at 14,505 feet, we call it "The Welder")

Our green chile burritos and pizza are killer, as is our greens, onions, garlic, red peppers, and mushrooms over fish in chicken broth with parmesan.

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooking Reply with quote

There is a three page thread on cooking already......

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=418763

With a weekender, there was no built in kitchen, I really like my Everest Camp Chef. The best feature is that one burner is sized larger and boiling water is done quite quickly.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooking Reply with quote

Westy kitchen. My backup is a small alcohol stove. When I run out of propane and a refill is tricky to find., alcohol saves the day because fuel is available at any hardware store.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooking Reply with quote

Stock westy 2 burner grill running on 1lb bottles.
I have a charcoal/propane grill made by bluerhino. I bought this cause I like taste of charcoal, plus I bought like 400lbs of charcoal. Literally like $1 for a 12lb bag at Lowes.

If I don't want to carry charcoal, I'll bring my Camp Chef Everest paired with a lodge griddle.
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooking Reply with quote

I learned a long time ago what should and should not be cooked in a Westfalia kitchen. I carry a Coleman's grill when I camp and use that. I like to use my Lodge grill skillet and that just won't do inside a Bus.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Cooking Reply with quote

Your Van, I mean a Bus, smells of you cook in it.

We cook outside on Coleman stuff made in a Wichita, KS only

China is for plates
jacrider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Cooking Reply with quote

Simple things (coffee, tea, soup, etc) in the Westy. Real meals are cooked outside mostly.

We lover our Partner Steel stove. Bomb proof. Hot, good adjustment. Easy to clean. Can't say enough good things about it.

https://partnersteel.com/
Scubavw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Cooking Reply with quote

For the basic stuff like heating water, making coffee and the like we use the westy stove. When the weather is wet we use our Magma stove attached to the rear tire carrier with the rear hatch covering me while I cook.
What I most enjoy is to cook on the fire. It is a real art to prepare your meals on the fire pit.
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Cooking Reply with quote

I cook curry in my bus.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Cooking Reply with quote

Does 5:00 work for you? Wink

Broaching the obvious, Yes, daily cooking leaves food odors. A concern in bear country, not for us inside so much as at a trailhead when not inside. But we gotta eat, and maybe up to half the time it's not feasible outside for us.

So the answer there may be a "scent diversion." I presume the poptop tent holds the most smells for it rising while cooking, so for particularly-egregious foodstuffs we try leaving the slider and tent window(s) open along with the roof vent and as many windows as we can. And we store as much food as possible in sealed containers, and carry as little food as possible.

I've read grizzly "experts" claiming bears can smell food in cans. I call UTTER BS on this, it not only makes no sense but if so, it's pretty obvious that thousands of cans in a grocery store would be noticeable even to our species' lame sense of smell (compared to Yogi's).

Perhaps our Alaska friends here know a trick substance to reduce food smells, for us we bleach the ceiling and the cabinets from time to time.

But I stand unconvinced that accumulated cooking smell residue attracts bears any more than does a cabinetful of food. I've asked bears but they pretend to not understand.

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: