Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

81 rabbit convertible fuel pump relay
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: 81 rabbit convertible fuel pump relay Reply with quote

So the previous owner of the 81 I bought hardwired in a switch for the fuel pump and Im trying to figure out how to remove it and hook up correctly to run off key only.

Car does have the recall pigtail on fuse box and it has a red wire and black coming off going to nothing.

I did find the fuel pump relay (has a ceramic fuse on the top of relay) and that appears to be hooked up.

Im stumped
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 rabbit convertible fuel pump relay Reply with quote

The Bentley has all the wiring diagrams in it. trace it out and find your cut wires. Then reconnect it to the fuel pump. They probably wired the switch in because the relay is bad. You can test that easily with a multimeter, 2 alligator clips and a 12v source. Or go to VWVortex and search there. lots of good info there and people with more experience than me.

Pictures of what you have found would help too. I dont know what you mean by recall pigtail.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: 81 rabbit convertible fuel pump relay Reply with quote

dubsteez79 wrote:
I dont know what you mean by recall pigtail.

Recall #83V117000
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I do agree; photos of the issue could help. In lieu of that, if it were my car, I'd remove the switch wiring, remove the bypass loom, install the fuel pump relay in spot L (i.e. putting it back to how it left the factory), and see what happens. If the engine runs, re-install the bypass and try again.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 81 rabbit convertible fuel pump relay Reply with quote

cant really take out jumper and put FP relay in because of the wiring being different from the recall part being installed. I think I have the wrong FP relay because there is no 31 pin. Just 30,15,87, 31b and 1
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: