Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cracked case. Any repair ideas?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Cracked case. Any repair ideas? Reply with quote

So, finally got 30 minutes to myself. Been way too busy this week. I had to let my lead employee go on Thursday. Really throws a wrench in the works, as I then get to complete the work ordered that are scheduled for me and him. SUCKS! On to finding a replacement.

Picked up the case from my welder buddy, Rod. Great guy, with some serious talent.

He did a great job. Told me he had to double the width of the notch so that he could get the welder in the space. Now, I know. That will make it easier on him in the future.

Here are the pictures of the welding.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So, looks like I will run a 1/4” reamer into the hole, taking the weld overflow out. I will follow it up with a series of drill bits to get it out for a 1/4”NPT tap. Tap the threads and install a 1/4”NPT to 1/8”NPT reducer. Then I will bolt the case together, installing my old rubber bearing plugs, into the bearing saddles and pressure test the case, to 100psi.

I get to work all day (bet you can’t guess why), so doubt I am going any further this weekend, so maybe next weekend.

I need some opinions here. Should I remove that oil galley plug at the rear of the case, which is in-line with the repair, to clean it out. My gut says I should just in case some splatter ended up down in that hole. Thinking better safe than sorry. Unless, someone with more experience has another method or thought.

Thanks!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Cracked case. Any repair ideas? Reply with quote

No question on removing the plug to make sure it's cleaned out. The risks of not doing it are too great compared to the little bit of work involved.
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Cracked case. Any repair ideas? Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
So, finally got 30 minutes to myself. Been way too busy

So, looks like I will run a 1/4” reamer into the hole, taking the weld overflow out. I will follow it up with a series of drill bits to get it out for a 1/4”NPT tap.

I would suggest using a rat tail file or Dremel first to get the hole somewhat round prior to drilling/reaming(if your not machining it).If you drill with that weld in there the hole will not be round!
Sizing the hole with reamers may be better than drilling.A reamer will follow the hole better.

When you start tapping just do a few turns at a time and check with the fitting to make sure it does not bottom out.
Ebel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Cracked case. Any repair ideas? Reply with quote

Do you have a milling machine or drill press? If you have a mill start with an end mill. It will cut a round hole. I can see bad things happening with a reamer in a drill press. If you have a drill press I’d use a cone shaped burr. You need to get it round and centered first.
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Cracked case. Any repair ideas? Reply with quote

Ya it would be best to have a machinist fix it.

If it was mine I could take it to work and use a mill.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Cracked case. Any repair ideas? Reply with quote

Thank you to both of you! Always enjoy reading the thought processes of others. It is a great way to learn to look at a situation in a new direction.

I have no milling machine. I would absolutely love to have one, but just have no more room for big machinery. I tackle ALOT of woodworking projects in this same garage. And since I have owned three custom cabinet shops, I have a lot of large stationary machines sitting around the perimeter of the garage. So many that there is no more space. I gave up my workbench to get the washing tank. However, I am in process of selling off a few of my old Rockwell machines. If those sell, I will have the space and the cash for a mill!

So, I have a really nice Rockwell drill press. I like the idea of chucking a tapered grind bit and going for it. You know, I have some a tapered carbide reamer, that I could chuck up and go for it. Once I have a hole again, I am going to drill it out for a 1/4NPT thread, for a brass reducer.

I used one on the spring plate cluster when I narrowed my front beam.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Cracked case. Any repair ideas? Reply with quote

Clean it up by hand with a 1/8 or so cylindrical carbide burr in a dremel or die grinder. Then drill it with the 7/16 for the 1/4 NPT tap. If you do anything in the drill press make sure the case is clamped to the table. I would not use that tapered countersink tool.
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Cracked case. Any repair ideas? Reply with quote

Yes don't use the tapered bit.
You want a 7/16" diameter for the 1/4 NPT.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Cracked case. Any repair ideas? Reply with quote

Well, let me finalize this thread.

Happy Father’s Day to all of you blessed to have children. I spent the morning helping the eldest child purchase a newer vehicle. Spent 5 hours at CarMax! Fun times!

After that, we returned to the house. The wife and kids went for a ride in the new to us car. SO.......I went out to the garage to work on the case.

Here’s is the starting point.

Took the welded case and by hand, with a rough half round file, filed it square to the hole. Then with a round file, again by hand, opened up the hole, almost to the original size. Then with a 7/16” drill bit, chucked up in a cordless drill, 1/8” at a time, all the way to the bottom.

Then chased that drilled out hole with a 1/4”NPT tap. All the way down into the case hole, about 1/8” at a time, pouring some really light oil into the tap openings. I would remove the tap each time and vacuum off the tap and vacuum out the hole. All the way down.

I then took the brass plug and ran it through the die, since it had a tapered thread.

Look okay?

Thank you again. Thank you Scott, great idea!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Cracked case. Any repair ideas? Reply with quote

Thread sealant?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Cracked case. Any repair ideas? Reply with quote

After I pull the galley plugs and clean it good.

Thanks!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Cracked case. Any repair ideas? Reply with quote

I would of machined it down to totaly get the crack out and used a push in plug either a disc like vw uses or a welsh plug brass or aluminum. then pick up the pressure somewhere else. just be sure you dont impeach on the flow. I bought a new case and it was cracked at the plug that we pull to do full flow. I machined back about 1" and retaped it, pluged both ends of the oil supply from the pump gally that was now exposed. crack kils if you dont get it fixed.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Cracked case. Any repair ideas? Reply with quote

I'd be tempted to ask to weld it up completely, and make the hole and threads all over again from scratch.

But you seem to have it all under control and sorted. Carry on.
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Cracked case. Any repair ideas? Reply with quote

looks great
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Cracked case. Any repair ideas? Reply with quote

Red threadlocker on the outside and 565 on the inside.
Better than new.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Cracked case. Any repair ideas? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Red threadlocker on the outside and 565 on the inside.
Better than new.

Thanks man!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: