Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any tips on doing the hvx mod?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject: Any tips on doing the hvx mod? Reply with quote

I’ve read and read and read and am convinced this is a good modification if done.
I have the 1/4” drill bit and am going onto do it. There was a thread where someone said he angles the bit slightly to avoid going through the side of the case but I cannot find it.
Any other suggestions fore I start?
I have the cb lightweight lifters but I’m not quite sure about notching them and screwing one up! That’s a lot of notching!
I’m also going to clean up the flash in the case.
Thanks for your suggestions!
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Any tips on doing the hvx mod? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=520315&highlight=hoover+mod
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=599478&highlight=
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=644002&highlight=hoover+mod
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

There are probably more. On the advice of someone here (Mark) a friend and I used a 3/16" long bit and even angling it to the middle we only had 1/8-1/16" of material between the passageway and the case divot (we drilled a junk case to see how it would go). I still think filling that depression with 1/4" of epoxy beforehand is the way to go.

As usual, just my 2 1/2 cents (I'm Canadian, eh). Al
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Any tips on doing the hvx mod? Reply with quote

Yep I use a 3/16" bit.

GO SLOW n your first try.

brad
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips on doing the hvx mod? Reply with quote

Ok! Any other suggestions? It seems like a worthwhile thing to do while the case is a mess and full of metal shavings and hasn’t been cleaned up yet anyway.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips on doing the hvx mod? Reply with quote

Check out this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubwhsLNM1wU

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips on doing the hvx mod? Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Yep I use a 3/16" bit.

GO SLOW n your first try.

brad

Did it! No problems...
Stupid question. You only drill ONE half of the case through the lifter bores? I see where the oil comes out the hole and around the cam journal..
Once it gets to the other side of the case shouldn’t it exit somewhere?
Like do I have to drill through the OTHER half too? (JUST the lifter bores only)
within.1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips on doing the hvx mod? Reply with quote

Once you drill through no2 exhaust lifter bore then you have to drill down through no1 cam saddle to connect the hoholyou drilled through lifter bore but no drilling on the other case half just no1 and 2 cylinder side of case.i did it a few times measure and remeasure you will be ok.if you already drilled through no2 exhaust lifter bore you got the tedious part done
within.1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips on doing the hvx mod? Reply with quote

Sorry about the wording dont know how that happen in last post. once you drill the no2 exhaust lifter bore, you only drill far enough in lifter bore til you can drill down through no1 cam saddle to connect the holes you drilled.
within.1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips on doing the hvx mod? Reply with quote

It would be the cam saddle over the hole you drilled in lifter bore so i was wrong if counting from no1 main bearing it would be no3 cam saddle on no1,2 cylinder side of case
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips on doing the hvx mod? Reply with quote

How do you clean up the hole afterwards? There has to be some burrs inside from drilling.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips on doing the hvx mod? Reply with quote

I’ll post pictures tonight. Getting ready to go bowling!!!!
😂
I used a small rounded file to go down into the abyss and cleaned it up. A Dremel can be a good thing (in the right hands) and a bad thing (in the wrong hands)
I was able to clean casting flash up a bit before running out of time. Actually, why clean the casting flash anyway? What negative would it create?
I followed John Maher’s advice and opened up the channels outside the lifter bores. I didn’t open the “windows” between cylinders much though. This isn’t a big bore, long stroke motor so I don’t think I will have much “turbulence” as he described.
Thoughts?
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips on doing the hvx mod? Reply with quote

within.1 wrote:
Sorry about the wording dont know how that happen in last post. once you drill the no2 exhaust lifter bore, you only drill far enough in lifter bore til you can drill down through no1 cam saddle to connect the holes you drilled.

Ok here we go. My attempt today went very well...
You know when some days you just can’t do shit right? Everything you touch just gives you problems...
Not today. My balls grew a bit and I said “let’s do this”!!!
Started by laying the bit across the cam saddles like many others have done.

I had to drill through the middle “blank” of the last cam journal so I could intersect it with another bit at roughly a 90 degree angle. (It was suggested to slightly tilt the drill bit back toward the back of the case. (More on this later)
Where I wanted to end up: (my apologies as the hole was ALREADY DRILLED in this pic...just trying to give an idea where I was heading)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is an older picture. The cam saddle to the right is WITHOUT the hole drilled.

Once I realized where I wanted to end up I marked the drill bit on the other end with a sharpie with the case end so would know where to stop.

Sprayed some Stabil light fogging oil on the bit and slooooooowly (like was recommended) started drilling. I pulled back to clean the bit every few seconds of drilling. Once I got through the final cam saddle and my mark was lined up, I drilled straight down with a smaller bit about 1/2” to be able to line up the actual 1/4” bit I was about to use. I DID angle the bit slightly towards the back of the case that was suggested and went SLOW!!!
Guess what? It worked VERY well.
I ended up cleaning the hole I made up with a very small oval file and it looks pretty damn good to my eyes. I checked the outside of the case for about the 20th time and yep no holes through the outside of the case. Yeahhhh!

I followed John Maher’s advice and slightly cleaned up the channels on either side of the bores. Again, it’s not a RACE motor but I just want to do the best I can for oil distribution, efficiency and longevity. (Photo is from John’s site)

And here is my case:

I did a little bit of case deburring and called it a day.

Last edited by 67 Sunroof on Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips on doing the hvx mod? Reply with quote

how did your hxv mods come out? I use a smaller than 1/4 drill for mine.and drill the cam tower at a angle so you miss the hollow spot in the case.most dont drill the dist side of the case just the alt stand side. I do drill the feed hole between the 3&4 cylinder bigger. and slot the lifter bores inward and outward about 1/4" from each oil gally hole or the added gally/flow means nothing. I do them about .100" wide &.060~.080" deep.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Any tips on doing the hvx mod? Reply with quote

It came out very well. (Pictures above) No issues and took my time.
I believe I followed your advice to angle the drill bit on the cam saddle to keep from going through the side of the case. It worked great! Thank you.

I’m going to try to work on it some tonight.
Another thought- is there any way to tell if a transmission is bad while the motor is NOT in the car? I’ve had the car for.....4 years and haven’t taken it on a drive yet! I’m assuming there is no possible way to see if it’s going to pop out of gear and whatnot. Kinda dumb question I know.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips on doing the hvx mod? Reply with quote

Unfortunately you'll just have to find out if the trans works.

might want to see if there is oil in it, before testing.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips on doing the hvx mod? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Unfortunately you'll just have to find out if the trans works.

might want to see if there is oil in it, before testing.

Come on man...haha
I’ve pulled the nosecone and replaced the seals and I also made sure the fork engaged easily. I also pulled both side plates off, checked the operation of the pinion gears, put the case halves back together and cleaned the fulcrum plates really well. I remember checking the clearances of the axles to make sure the tubes were not too tight or too loose. I refilled it with some fresh amsoil.
I replaced the clutch shaft with a heavy duty one and used wire to wrap around it so the spring clips wouldn’t come off. I put new boots on as well.
If it turns out to be bad it will be like replacing everything OUTSIDE except what’s in the heart! That would be a lot of work wasted...
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Any tips on doing the hvx mod? Reply with quote

Whoa! Well, that's pretty cool but, ONLy in VW land.
Any other kind of car you don't hear people halfway dissecting the trans before test driving it. Laughing
the trans in my 1960 was real loud when I first drove it on the highway, so I got off and stopped at jiffy lube. I watched the guy pull the plug, nothing came out. I mean not even a singular blob. Shocked
Once it actually had oil, far quieter, but one thing for sure, the syncros worked a lot better dry.

NICE job on the hoover oil passage. Any advice for others? Not much you can say is there?
basically.... eyeball it twice, drill carefully?
Take the proper medicaions beforehand?
that's about it
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Any tips on doing the hvx mod? Reply with quote

Where do you source the long drill bits from?

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Any tips on doing the hvx mod? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Whoa! Well, that's pretty cool but, ONLy in VW land.
Any other kind of car you don't hear people halfway dissecting the trans before test driving it. Laughing
the trans in my 1960 was real loud when I first drove it on the highway, so I got off and stopped at jiffy lube. I watched the guy pull the plug, nothing came out. I mean not even a singular blob. Shocked
Once it actually had oil, far quieter, but one thing for sure, the syncros worked a lot better dry.

NICE job on the hoover oil passage. Any advice for others? Not much you can say is there?
basically.... eyeball it twice, drill carefully?
Take the proper medicaions beforehand?
that's about it

Thank you! I need to stay positive if I want to do this!
No other advice other than take your time and see WHERE you could possible drill through and stay clear from it.
The bit I borrowed from a friend. Actually, the same friend built an airplane from a vw motor like 30 years ago? Smart man. His health is failing or I would be asking him for advice to be honest.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Any tips on doing the hvx mod? Reply with quote

66brm wrote:
Where do you source the long drill bits from?

https://www.mcmaster.com/29315a125
https://www.mcmaster.com/2939a15
https://www.mcmaster.com/2955a11
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: