Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Falls flat in 4th
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Falls flat in 4th Reply with quote

New engine, 1600DP, new 34 pict-3, all new bits (distributor, wires, coil) engine starts, idles great, has good acceleration in 1st-3rd but falls flat in 4th. Does not stumble sputter or cough, just nothing there. Carb is clean, accel pump works great. Timing set idle 7.5 before tdc, full advance at 30 before tdc.

Thoughts?
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Falls flat in 4th Reply with quote

Try a larger main jet. If you live around sea level you probably want a 120 or a 125 or meby even a 130 - don't know, buy one of each. You could pull it out of the float bowl check the size. If it's a 115 that is probably the issue. It's working on the 2 jets on the other side of the carb until around 3000 rpm, so sounds like you have those dialed in.

Also check for vacuum leaks. Better yet, go to Harbor Freight and get a $14 vacuum guage.

Those are my first couple ideas anyway - Jim
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Falls flat in 4th Reply with quote

Thanks Jim, just went through the vacuum leak gremlins and resealed everything. Doing the carb cleaner method. No engine fire so far. Just went through everything again, timing set to 7.5/32 and advances smoothly. Also went through tuning air/fuel and bypass again, got idling better and seems happier. Test drive next then will check main jet size. Thanks for advice.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Falls flat in 4th Reply with quote

Let me guess..."Freeway Flyer"
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Falls flat in 4th Reply with quote

More like a freeway butt dragger don't you think? Wink

My Buggy came with the late model higher final drive and yes the 1600DP was sluggish in high gear but it would still hit 85 mph with some patience. "Nothing there" is a little bit vague. Do you mean you have to shift back into 3rd gear to drive it or is it just slower in 4th?
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Falls flat in 4th Reply with quote

Actually not sure about the trans. It was in the car when I bought it. I doubt it's a flyer though, it started life as a rail for off road then the FG body was added later.

What I mean is, it will gain speed in first three gears, fourth it will maintain some speed (60 or less) on level ground, gain speed slowly on a downslope and lose speed on any upslope.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Falls flat in 4th Reply with quote

What distributor are using with the new 34 pict-3.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Falls flat in 4th Reply with quote

Was the rear tire size mentioned? If not, is it stock?

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Falls flat in 4th Reply with quote

Distributor is a new, Kuhltech 034 electronic w vacuum advance. Rear tires a 27 in tal, a bit above stock. I have the same tire height and wheels on my other one and they're not a problem. I do sort of suspect the distributor as the problem but I'm not going to start buying and swapping distributors in and out. My dune runner has the 34 pict-3 with Kuhltech 010 centrifugal and it's running pretty good.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Falls flat in 4th Reply with quote

If you car runs fine in 1-2-3 and falls on it's face in 4th it is not a distributor problem.

Your little 1600 does not have enough horsepower to pull the taller tires and probably what I'm guessing is a "Freeway Flyer" transaxle. I would barrow a smaller set of rear tires from somebody and take a drive.

Another problem you might be having is the accelerator cable is not adjusted correctly and the carb butterfly is not opening all the way to a wide open throttle position.
dawie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Falls flat in 4th Reply with quote

Rbucklin wrote:
"It started life as a rail for off road then the FG body was added later."
What type of fibreglass body does it have, (square edged un-aerodynamic, maybe?)
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Falls flat in 4th Reply with quote

It would have to be a fiberglass clone of a Bus to have that much wind resistance!

It does sound like your engine is down on power. That's about what I would expect out of a 1200 40 hp engine with the taller late model gears. The tires are not helping either.

Time to dig in and give it a full blown tune up starting with valve lash adjustment and compression test.

My Buggy did better than that in 4th with a 1600DP but it did have dual Kadrons (maybe 4 hp more?) and 24" rear tires. If you came out of 3rd at 3000 rpm and into 4th it would struggle to gain but if you held on to 3rd to 4000 rpm then it was ok. And yes it pulled down on the hills. That's with what racerdave calls the freeway flyer gears. A term I understand that was given to the late model stock transaxle gearing by some enterprising company to enhance sales.

Hope that helps.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Falls flat in 4th Reply with quote

The 2 prime suspects are

fuel restriction (clogged filter, tank outlet, bad fuel pump)
or
too much ignition timing

Those are the first item to cross off the list.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Falls flat in 4th Reply with quote

Body:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I really don't believe it to be a freeway flyer trans, though I have no way to know for certain. Given the low level of work that had been done on the car to start with, I just don't see the previous owner spending the money.

Yes, tires are a little taller than stock, but not enough, I think, for this much effect on a new engine's performance, based on my previous experiences with VW. Throttle cable adjustment is something I hadn't thought to double check. I'm pretty certain that when I installed it it was opening fully.

Yesterday I had the car trailered down to the shop that built the engine. They're looking at it today so we'll see what they come up with.
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Falls flat in 4th Reply with quote

Well crap. Just talked to the shop. They say it has a flyer trans. I can't believe someone would put one of those in a rail built for offroad. It just makes no sense whatsoever to me. Although, given the idiotic way the thing was originally built I guess I shouldn't be surprised. My apologies to all you who came up with that right away. The good side of this I guess is, I appear to be getting pretty good at setting up and tuning engines. Time to start shopping for a good trans. Anyone here in Phoenix?
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Falls flat in 4th Reply with quote

Arizona Transaxle comes to mind.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Falls flat in 4th Reply with quote

Just change 4th gear, you dont need another trans.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Falls flat in 4th Reply with quote

Yes! That was what I was going to do after I upgraded to a 1911cc engine. Now I don't need to as the new engine has no problem with the higher gearing.
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Falls flat in 4th Reply with quote

...or run shorter rear tires....

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Falls flat in 4th Reply with quote

Well, engine is fully sorted Believe it or don't, put in a 009 and all problems disappeared. No flat spot, quick, and pulls in fourth even with the tall 4th gear. Still bought a new trans. $600 for a fully rebuilt from Don's BusBox here in Peoria AZ.

In the end, I just don't trust the old box internals so at $600 and a couple hours work it's just worth it to remove the concern. Next, steering...

Thanks Y'all.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: