Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

5.5 or 7mm valve stems
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: 5.5 or 7mm valve stems Reply with quote

I've notice a lot of guys go to the 8mm valve stems on there 356 engines now days ..what are your thoughts about 5.5 or 7mm valve stems I know the denzel used 7mm valve stems and seemed to benefit from them why not the 356 ????
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 5.5 or 7mm valve stems Reply with quote

They go to larger valve stems because the guides are worn so it's cheaper and better for the head to ream original guide to 8 and buy new valves.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 5.5 or 7mm valve stems Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
They go to larger valve stems because the guides are worn so it's cheaper and better for the head to ream original guide to 8 and buy new valves.

Porsche 356 valve stems are 10mm. the reason some choose to go to a smaller valve stem is to reduce weight in the valve train. Guides get replaced when you do a thorough valve job and reamed for the appropriate valve stem size.

You could certainly go to a smaller stem size, lighter lifters, pushrods, etc... Though unless you're racing, there will be very little gain in relation to what is lost. If that's you're plan, I would consider consulting someone who builds race engines and ask their opinion.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: