Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correctly Shifting an AutoStick
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Correctly Shifting an AutoStick Reply with quote

I've had my autostick for a little while now and as I'm driving I usually stick to shifting in this method

L ---> 0-20 MPH or Slow drive thru hills, Quick Takeoff on a hill
1st---> 0-40
2nd--> 40-70 unless the wind is blowing then i'm staying at 60 and nothing more

She's a early 68 and I do try to baby her so she lasts. But I've heard I should be shifting to 2nd past 35 and NEVER go over 40 in 1st (which I've hovered over a few times without noticing) she seems to drive fine, its not loud and she doesn't seem to struggle at that speed. I will say that I have to shift to neutral if I idle for more than a minute or she'll shut off on me. I really love this car and I want to make sure she lasts as long as possible. She gets her fluids and seals checked and changed regularly (If not too often) Any tips and recommendations are appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Correctly Shifting an AutoStick Reply with quote

Drive like owner's manual states.

I remember starting off in 1st, going to 2nd, then cruising in 3rd.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Correctly Shifting an AutoStick Reply with quote

"I remember starting off in 1st, going to 2nd, then cruising in 3rd."

I used to drive my 68 AS ghia like this as well.

Your car shouldn't be shutting down after a minute or so of idling though. You have some kind of issue to deal with there...
JonRich55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Correctly Shifting an AutoStick Reply with quote

The owners manual will suggest driving it in 1 and 2, with rarely using L. I feel the timing and vacuum advance settings are better suited to start in 1 and gradually shift to 2 about 40.

It can be run L 1 2 if you prefer without issue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Correctly Shifting an AutoStick Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Correctly Shifting an AutoStick Reply with quote

I once owned a 1968 auto-stick in the mid-seventies, and I never used the low gear. We used 1st in town, and at 53 mph on the freeway, we shifted to second.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Knave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Correctly Shifting an AutoStick Reply with quote

jwold wrote:
"...Your car shouldn't be shutting down after a minute or so of idling though. You have some kind of issue to deal with there...

You're right, but i cant figure out the cause. I thought maybe it was the timing, or a crap vacuum advance, but after seeing it to 950 and a pointless electric it didn't change a thing. I even adjusted the carb and got somewhat better results, but not much.

Guess ill start shifting to second at 35 from now on. Thanks guys.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Correctly Shifting an AutoStick Reply with quote

Hmm. 20 mph seems low for shifting into 2. That would be like shifting a manual into 4th at 20 mph. Is the torque converter still helping at that speed?
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JonRich55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Correctly Shifting an AutoStick Reply with quote

Not being able to idle is most likely a vacuum leak issue. There are considerably more locations that can leak than a manual trans.

I would start by replacing all the vacuum lines within the Auto system. There are 3 large 12mm lines and one smaller 5mm line that goes to the carb. The 12mm ones can be hard to test and why I recommend just replacing them.

If you have the original carb, there is a good chance the throttle shaft leaks, very common. I would suggest sending it to Tim at Volksblitz to have him rebuild it back to factory specs.

There are a a number of other places to check, the Control Valve (not a usual place for a vacuum leak). The Vacuum servo (on the transmission) is a major source of leaks and pin holes often effect the idle more than trouble engaging the shifting mechanism.

Then you have the normal places for all aircooled engines. The carb leaking at the mount to the manifold, the rubber boots on the DP manifolds and the gaskets that are used between the manifold and the head (different styles for SP v DP).
Knave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Correctly Shifting an AutoStick Reply with quote

JonRich55 wrote:
Not being able to idle is most likely a vacuum leak issue. There are considerably more locations that can leak than a manual trans.

I would start by replacing all the vacuum lines within the Auto system. There are 3 large 12mm lines and one smaller 5mm line that goes to the carb. The 12mm ones can be hard to test and why I recommend just replacing them.

If you have the original carb, there is a good chance the throttle shaft leaks, very common. I would suggest sending it to Tim at Volksblitz to have him rebuild it back to factory specs.

There are a a number of other places to check, the Control Valve (not a usual place for a vacuum leak). The Vacuum servo (on the transmission) is a major source of leaks and pin holes often effect the idle more than trouble engaging the shifting mechanism.

Then you have the normal places for all aircooled engines. The carb leaking at the mount to the manifold, the rubber boots on the DP manifolds and the gaskets that are used between the manifold and the head (different styles for SP v DP).

I did replace the carb and the smaller vacuum line, so ill replace the larger lines and hopefully that will help. I sure hope its not an issue with the servo plastics wearing out, don't know where to begin to find parts in decent shape. I'll try it and let you all know how it goes.
JonRich55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Correctly Shifting an AutoStick Reply with quote

What carb do you have on there now? Do you have the original one?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Correctly Shifting an AutoStick Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
Hmm. 20 mph seems low for shifting into 2. That would be like shifting a manual into 4th at 20 mph. Is the torque converter still helping at that speed?

Range 2 can be used from a standstill all the way up to top speed, but performance and fuel efficiency will be less than using both Range 1 and 2.
Gearfinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Correctly Shifting an AutoStick Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Tom K. wrote:

Range 2 can be used from a standstill all the way up to top speed, but performance and fuel efficiency will be less than using both Range 1 and 2.

You should hear a Bug convert with A/C on a hot day starting off in 2. If you never heard spark knock before, you will now know...
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Correctly Shifting an AutoStick Reply with quote

Gearfinger wrote:
You should hear a Bug convert with A/C on a hot day starting off in 2. If you never heard spark knock before, you will now know...

Tune your car properly and use the correct grade fuel then your car won't experience spark knock. Wink
Gearfinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Correctly Shifting an AutoStick Reply with quote

Being that I worked on those cars when new, at a VW dealer, my experience over the years in auto repair allows me to smile and nod politely at your advise...
Knave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Correctly Shifting an AutoStick Reply with quote

JonRich55 wrote:
What carb do you have on there now? Do you have the original one?

I have an after market 30 pict i bought since the old one was pretty rusted. i've made sure there is a vacuum connection for everything. it runs well
Nitramrebrab72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Correctly Shifting an AutoStick Reply with quote

Either clutch diaphram possibly slightly leaking more than active carb vacum or the vacum line it self at tick over. Letting the clutch out slowly and eventually stalling.
Knave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Correctly Shifting an AutoStick Reply with quote

So i haven't been able to locate 2 CM diameter braided hoses like what it has now from stock, but i see that they are a bit mangled. i srpayed a little soapy water to see if it bubbled but it didn't. still plan on changing them as soon as i find a decent replacement. I'll post pics when i get the things off. last thing i need is for them to disintergrate as i'm taking them off and not have a replacement.

*EDIT*

I think i found some
https://germansupply.com/hoses-emissions-and-fuel/
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Correctly Shifting an AutoStick Reply with quote

If you set the idle speed to 800 RPM there is a small chance the car will shut down while idling. A mechanic here on TheSamba told me that autosticks need to idle at higher speeds due to this.

I just use one foot on the gas and one foot on the brake and if it starts to idle to slowly I press the gas a bit.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JonRich55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Correctly Shifting an AutoStick Reply with quote

Very true, 800 is too low for an Auto. The book suggests 850-950 I believe, and I shoot for 875-900.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: