Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windows down, exhaust fume smell
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Windows down, exhaust fume smell Reply with quote

Now that it is summer you drive with the windows down. Well when I do I get exhaust fumes in the front of the car. Squareback here.
New correct muffler, new seals around the engine cover, rear hatch, door seals as well.
Not sure how they are getting into the front of the vehicle. So what should I look for.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows down, exhaust fume smell Reply with quote

At what speeds do you notice this?
Dfasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows down, exhaust fume smell Reply with quote

It was explained that the most important seal in the hatch area was the small tube seal between the load floor and the dip stick.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows down, exhaust fume smell Reply with quote

How quite is the exhaust system, and what condition are the heater boxes in? The on / off flapper on the heater boxes are not a positive seal. On type 1s, I have seen the exhaust tube portion of the heater box get a hole in it from rust. If the hole is larger, you get excessive exhaust noise. However, I have also seen them just have a pin hole, so no real increase in the noise level, but you would have an excess of Carbon Monoxide in the air flow (very bad). This pic is when I was doing a leak check on the first custom heater box I had made.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It was about 15 years old, and the tubing size, was 1-5/8". After all of that time and multiple valve adjustments, the box itself had an oil and dirt buildup, which stank with the heater on. With the box split open, I also wanted to check the integrity of the exhaust tubing itself. You could actually do this test without splitting the heater box apart. You could make a flange with a valve stem on the head connection flange. Then shove a cork in the other end, and use a combination of duct tape and bailing wire to hold it in. Then put in 5-10psi of air in it, submerge it in water and look for bubbles.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Windows down, exhaust fume smell Reply with quote

KTPhill At what speeds do you notice this? slow street driving as well as on the highway. If just vent wing is open seems to be stronger.
In the cold winter months windows up and heater on there was no fume odor at all.

Dfasty It was explained that the most important seal in the hatch area was the small tube seal between the load floor and the dip stick. Not sure what small tube seal you are referring to.

I have ruled out the heater boxes as in the winter months it is just heat and no fumes. Would like to figure this out.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Dfasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Windows down, exhaust fume smell Reply with quote

this seal https://www.vwispwest.com/361827715.html?p=YzE9MTY0
KylanC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Windows down, exhaust fume smell Reply with quote

I had a problem with this with my squareback. I was leaking oil onto my heater boxes. the smell wouldn't be so bad with the windows up but if I opened or cracked any ventilation it reeked! I fixed my oil leak problem and cleaned my heater boxes and no more smell Very Happy
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Windows down, exhaust fume smell Reply with quote

One thing to keep in mind is that at moderate speeds and above, there is negative pressure in the car that will draw in fumes. Opening the vent window actually increases this. So all your window, hatch, and body deals have to be in goof shape or you will get various fumes sucked into the car.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Windows down, exhaust fume smell Reply with quote

A few more ideas from older threads...

Check if the source us the rear hatch by temporarily sealing the hatch perimeter with blue painter's tape.

Check your muffler connections. It is possible for a leak at the "donuts" for #2 and #4 to "inject" exhaust into the heater boxes.

Check the heater fresh air bleed system... those thermostat housings on the body, the 1" hoses and pipes, and their connections.

The heaters do not totally seal when shut off, so pressurized exhaust might make its way inside even if the cables are set to off.

Check your frunk for gas leaks. A slight gas leak can resemble an exhaust leak. The large fill hose, vent lines, and gauge seals are all suspect.

Your hatch seals could be in good shape but still leak if the hatch itself is out of adjustment or bent.

You can check how well your seals work by laying a strip of thin paper across the opening where the seal fits, and close the hatch. Then try pulling the paper out. If it slides easily, it's not sealing. Try it all around the perimeter of the hatch.

A poor engine lid seal will let in fumes, too.

What muffler do you have? The stock outlet was designed to get sucked away from the car. Aftermarkets often get sucked back into the hatch.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows down, exhaust fume smell Reply with quote

Yep it is the stock muffler. I will try the painters tape around the rear hatch, but feel it is sealed.
When I replaced the muffler, made sure the all of the connection points were sealed up. Gosh I do not like those leaks.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
chrismsnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Windows down, exhaust fume smell Reply with quote

I'm running this down as well. What I'm currently working on is the fuel pump. Not only does it have a leak but I think it's pushing too much pressure. Thus, gas is ALWAYS in the carbs... dripping when it's shut off. Something to check into on yours...

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Windows down, exhaust fume smell Reply with quote

chrismsnt wrote:
I'm running this down as well. What I'm currently working on is the fuel pump. Not only does it have a leak but I think it's pushing too much pressure. Thus, gas is ALWAYS in the carbs... dripping when it's shut off. Something to check into on yours...

Chris

In your case, you might want to try a different electric fuel pump. I've been using the Mr.Gasket brand 042S pump available from most everybody (the Zone, O'Reilly's, Advance, Napa), and it's been working just fine without a pressure regulator. I've installed that pump into at least 5 other VW's in the last 10 years.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows down, exhaust fume smell Solved>>>> Reply with quote

This is what actually works and no more fumes. Minor extension and turn down into more of the air flow. You'll never guess what I used that was laying around, like most of us have.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: