Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for a blank key for my steering lock
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Looking for a blank key for my steering lock Reply with quote

Hoping someone might lead me to source a blank spare key for my steering lock. I checked with Gabe at Prado but he doesn't carry them. He told me to search Ebay with the number on the key but I found nothing. Can't even find anything with a Google search. Anyone able to source these?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a blank key for my steering lock Reply with quote

I don't recognize that key blank myself but there are Taylor key blanks on eBay all the time.

It maybe a matter of waiting for one to pop up.

Sorry this wasn't much help.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a blank key for my steering lock Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I don't recognize that key blank myself but there are Taylor key blanks on eBay all the time.

It maybe a matter of waiting for one to pop up.

Sorry this wasn't much help.

Thanks Everett. Maybe like you said. I just need to keep waiting. Hoping I get someone here who might have a source.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a blank key for my steering lock Reply with quote

Is it L6U or LGU?

Just curious as I did some searches but nothing came up for either.

I wonder if there are any old key shops you can contact with existing old inventory?

It might be worth contacting anyone selling old Taylor blanks on eBay and asking them, in case they if they have other keys they haven't listed yet.

I have a feeling this would be a long shot but it worked for me once with a plate frame I wanted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a blank key for my steering lock Reply with quote

A really good locksmith or an average machinist should be able to machine the proper grooves into a plain brass panel and make you a key blank. This is really old and basic key technology, nothing fancy. It might not be cheap, but it will work. Then any ley shop can duplicate the lock ridges.
65 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a blank key for my steering lock Reply with quote

Here is a V66 blank.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-VINTAGE-NOS-UNCUT-KEY-B...SwCVtcE6wA
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a blank key for my steering lock Reply with quote

I bet that eBay find is pretty much right on ....not sure what the "P" means, though, on your original. For 8 bucks ...worth a shot.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a blank key for my steering lock Reply with quote

For some reason I thought he needed the other key for the steering lock

But re-reading the thread now I see he never said which key he needed so...

Which one? Or both?

Looks like you found one. Smile
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a blank key for my steering lock Reply with quote

Sorry. It's the Taylor L6U. Not the standard ignition key. I was thinking the same thing. Pretty basic piece of steel. I bet I could make it with a dremel and a grinder in my garage. It has the basic shape of some old Honda motorcycle keys I've found. May give that a shot.
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a blank key for my steering lock Reply with quote

So I went to an old key shop in a town near me. This place has been there since at least the 70's. Maybe older than that. Well they had an old rack on the back wall and guess what? They had 7 blanks of this exact key there! Guy said they have been there almost since the store opened. They were discolored and had the perfect patina! Wink Got two spares made. I may go back and buy up the blanks. Success!
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a blank key for my steering lock Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
For some reason I thought he needed the other key for the steering lock

But re-reading the thread now I see he never said which key he needed so...

Which one? Or both?

Looks like you found one. Smile

No Everett you were right the first time. I did say Steering lock key. Not ignition key. I thought the ignition key was fairly easy to pick out. Anyway I found it! Smile
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a blank key for my steering lock Reply with quote

Hell ya! Nice.

Now I'm wondering if there is some inventory list of what Taylor key blanks for what years.
I bet there are some worth getting to pick up some extra cash on resale.

Ask them if they have any Taylor 557 Bus church keys Smile

Or 62VG is the Split Bug / Zwitter / Barndoor key blank

I found and resold those in 2011... Only $8 each though, maybe a little more now?
65 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a blank key for my steering lock Reply with quote

Malanthius,

Sorry about my mistake. I saw that there was always a VW cut-out key that you hid so I assumed you were looking for the VW one shown...
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a blank key for my steering lock Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Hell ya! Nice.

Now I'm wondering if there is some inventory list of what Taylor key blanks for what years.
I bet there are some worth getting to pick up some extra cash on resale.

Ask them if they have any Taylor 557 Bus church keys Smile

Or 62VG is the Split Bug / Zwitter / Barndoor key blank

I found and resold those in 2011... Only $8 each though, maybe a little more now?

I'll check!
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a blank key for my steering lock Reply with quote

65 Sunroof wrote:
Malanthius,

Sorry about my mistake. I saw that there was always a VW cut-out key that you hid so I assumed you were looking for the VW one shown...

No worries!
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a blank key for my steering lock Reply with quote

I have these M67 W key blanks for steering locks.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a blank key for my steering lock Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:
I have these M67 W key blanks for steering locks.

Looks different than mine. Mine has that little part that pokes out. Which locks do those work on?
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a blank key for my steering lock Reply with quote

^^^^ From an Ebay ad:

*Volkswagen "barndoor" bus/van with steering lock ignitions 1949 to 1955, Also some1950's split window Beetles with steering locks
*Mercedes 190SL mid 50's to 1960
*D.K.W, BMW

Not completely sure. I think I had other key blanks like yours, years ago a motorcycle guy bought all of that stuff from me.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: