Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Peculiar distributor/distributor gear seating problem
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Peculiar distributor/distributor gear seating problem Reply with quote

My distributor is not seating into my distributor gear.

The 205T that came in my 69 kept shifting timing, when I investigated I had to push down on the shaft to get it to engage. Pulling the distributor showed there was a lot of slip in the shaft, assuming this was the problem I got in contact with Bill here for a rebuild (because he’s the go to guy).

I wanted to get the car up and running again so I pulled a known good SVDA out of a running car. The distributor would not engage the distributor gear, I tried the clamp from the running car Incase the other one was to bent up but still no good.

So I pulled the fuel pump/base flange (breaking the flange but I expected that and had an extractor ready), then pulled the distributor gear, luckily I was able to retrieve both washers from the case as well.

Since I was using a known good distributor I am thinking the distributor gear is too low and needs to be raised up.

Perhaps the washers are old and worn? Maybe something else is worn needing more washers?

Am I on the right path or is there anything else I could be missing?

Thanks In advance!
205T (Bill)
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Peculiar distributor/distributor gear seating problem Reply with quote

I think your distributor drive gear may be drilling into the case and sinking.

IDK if there is a standard measurement that it should sit below the case surface, but there should be.

You can measure the shaft length of a OG distributor, then measure how far the drive sits below the case surface. What's the difference?

VW would use a thick spacer there if the case was damaged like that when they did engine rebuilds.

Why they didn't use a bottom shim with a tab to keep it from rotating is beyond me. Maybe because it's usually not a problem? If the shims kinda grab the bottom of the drive and start spinning, the mag base will get ground away and it will sink the drive deeper in the gear.

You can try to stack some shims to take up the slack and hope they act as a thrust bearing as intended, or just go crank fire and omit the distributor drive altogether.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Peculiar distributor/distributor gear seating problem Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:

IDK if there is a standard measurement that it should sit below the case surface, but there should be.

You can measure the shaft length of a OG distributor, then measure how far the drive sits below the case surface. What's the difference?

That could be the case, but I have seen the distributor bore/ o-ring interference cause issues as well. Sometimes the case bore gets a little corrosion, and if the bore is dry and the oring is hard, the distributor doesn't want to go all the way down. Pull out the distributor, and with a fingernail, press on the oring. If its hard you need to replace it. Either way, with the distributor out, remove the oring and hold down clamp. Coat the distributor shaft with oil, and gently twist it back and forth in the bore. Reassemble everything and see how it works.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Peculiar distributor/distributor gear seating problem Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:

I think you are right, I’ll try to get a better look when I can, but I’m about to start a series of 12s at work. I’m not sure how to do a crank fire setup.

Multi69s wrote:
That could be the case, but I have seen the distributor bore/ o-ring interference cause issues as well.

I greased up the distributor, and it was sitting flush against the clamp, but I will do a double check when I get a chance.
205T (Bill)
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Peculiar distributor/distributor gear seating problem Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is a picture of what the distributor gear seat looks like, don’t know if anything can be seen from it.
205T (Bill)
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Peculiar distributor/distributor gear seating problem Reply with quote

I don't see anything that looks especially troubling except maybe the bore itself. Is it rough and chewed like the picture makes it look?

The brass gear looks good. Can't tell if the thrust surface has been milled lower, from the straight down view.

Reinstall the drive with the shims you have. Make sure it's seated and measure down the bore with a ruler. Measure the distributor to see how long the shaft is. Subtract. There should be some difference, but not much. I can't remember the spec off hand.

But if it's more than the dog ears are long, you found the problem.

You are using a hold down clamp with the proper thickness right?
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Peculiar distributor/distributor gear seating problem Reply with quote

I may be able to get time to work on it Wednesday and get all that information. I assume the clamp is the proper thickness, but I’m going to pick up another OE VW clamp just to make sure as I know they tend to get tweaked over the decades, and the one that came on the car is pretty beat (I then tried with a good straight one).

Thank you for your advice so far!
205T (Bill)
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Peculiar distributor/distributor gear seating problem Reply with quote

[quote="Multi69s"]
Pruneman99 wrote:
Pull out the distributor, and with a fingernail, press on the oring. If its hard you need to replace it.

I would think Bill would have replaced the distributor O ring with a fresh one when it was rebuilt.

Distributor bore/case wear is pretty rare, but it can happen.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Peculiar distributor/distributor gear seating problem Reply with quote

[quote="tasb"]
Multi69s wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:
Pull out the distributor, and with a fingernail, press on the oring. If its hard you need to replace it.

I would think Bill would have replaced the distributor O ring with a fresh one when it was rebuilt.

Distributor bore/case wear is pretty rare, but it can happen.

Sorry for the confusion. Bill hasn’t rebuilt it yet, I’m mailing it off too him today. I was trying to fit my known good SVDA just to get it running while I waited.
205T (Bill)
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Peculiar distributor/distributor gear seating problem Reply with quote

I went to reinstall the distributor gear but could not get it to install with the thrust shims on as they kept hitting the brass gear. It easily slid in without the shims.

I got my shipment of parts and the old shims were exactly the same size as the new ones including thickness. The old ones were more beat up though, one had a slight ridge on the end that could be felt with my fingernail and the other was slightly warped in one spot.

I installed 4 shims, as by my measurement that would let the distributor engage but not bottom out. I used a long screwdriver to slide the shims into place and nudge the to where they were supposed to be. The shims fell into place as if there was a recessed area for them. The distributor gear slid right into place (though it is off center despite my efforts for it to go in right), but I think I will leave it alone for now so I don’t risk dropping any of the shims in.

I will need to keep an eye on it, I may need to pull the engine sooner than anticipated.
205T (Bill)
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Peculiar distributor/distributor gear seating problem Reply with quote

Did you measure?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Peculiar distributor/distributor gear seating problem Reply with quote

Briefed through the posts. I have never seen a stock parts distributor have issues when installed, like that. The common issues I found all related to the clamp being worn out. Could it be a worn out clamp or too thin of one? Empi makes a lot of shit, and has for 60 years!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Peculiar distributor/distributor gear seating problem Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Did you measure?

The depth from the gear to the top of the clamp was 2 inches, which is the length of the distributor shaft plus dog ears.

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Briefed through the posts. I have never seen a stock parts distributor have issues when installed, like that. The common issues I found all related to the clamp being worn out. Could it be a worn out clamp or too thin of one? Empi makes a lot of shit, and has for 60 years!

I don’t remember where I got the clamp I used, but I got it to replace a crappy beat up after market one years ago so I made sure to get a quality one. I pulled from a running engine, the same one I pulled the distributor from. I did get this new clamp that I am now using:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113905250
205T (Bill)
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Peculiar distributor/distributor gear seating problem Reply with quote

To clarify the measurement it was don without shims as I couldn’t get shims to install while on the distributor gear. The running engine I barrowed the clamp and distributor from is sitting at 1 14/16 inches with 2 shims. 2 shims are measuring at .049 inches so the distributor gear in the one I was having problems with was sitting little over 1/16 inch deeper then the other engine.
205T (Bill)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: