Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who’s Got Hammock Skills?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Who’s Got Hammock Skills? Reply with quote

Summer’s here, which means it’s hammock season. Aren’t many things I like more than a 2hr MTB ride followed by a 2hr hammock ride.

How do you hang?

Let’s see some pics!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Who’s Got Hammock Skills? Reply with quote

My son's hammock is hanging from the rear hatch Garry Lee rack but we also use the hatch hinge with the hatch closed and I am off the front bumper bar. I also use the front door latch pin in the B pillar with the door closed and that works well. Just need to be the right distance from a tree or other Vanagon...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Who’s Got Hammock Skills? Reply with quote

I haven't used my hammocks for Westy camping much. But I've used them extensively instead of a tent when kayak-camping.

Make sure there are no rocks or roots directly below your hammock; if a strap or a snap link fails above flat ground, it's embarrassing. If it fails and drops you onto a fist-sized rock under your C4 vertebrae, it could be disastrous.

One basic rule is never hang your hammock higher than you're willing to fall. Besides, a lower hang makes it easier to reach the beer you set on the ground.

Happy hangin'!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Who’s Got Hammock Skills? Reply with quote

Mine is in the Westy at all times unless it's on the back of my Motorcycle. I use it instead of a tent like Jeff. Went full off grid last summer on the bike.

Past: '09 CC 3.6L 4motion "R36 wannabe" | '02 Audi TT "ALMS Edition" | '84 Jetta GLI with Autotech Supercharger | '89 Helios Jetta GLI 16v's (x2) | '95.5 URS6 | and the list goes on.

Never underestimate the entertainment value of OCD overruling Common Sense
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Who’s Got Hammock Skills? Reply with quote

Somehow I got into spending a bunch of time reading things here a couple years ago.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/content.php

I learned a couple things to make hanging in one of those parachute style hammocks more comfortable.

First is to use a ridgeline tied to either end of the hammock itself. This more or less eliminates the difference in how the hammock hangs depending on how close the trees are to each other.

The second is to lay in the hammock at an angle with your feet just slightly higher than your head. That keeps the hammock fabric from totally enclosing you, and you also lay much flatter than being folded up like a taco.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Who’s Got Hammock Skills? Reply with quote

I keep trying to figure out how to cross link this thread over here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=574193&highlight=van+noise
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Who’s Got Hammock Skills? Reply with quote

I carry a hammock, some tubular webbing, a tarp and some paracord on my MC to sleep in. Packs much smaller than a tent and don't have to drag along a sleeping pad or worry about a rock or stick poking you
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Who’s Got Hammock Skills? Reply with quote

Ok, for a more serious reply- I highly recommend this specific hammock.

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/

It weighs a little more than other options ,but has integrated mosquito netting and a sleeve to put a camping pad into. Doing the latter greatly increases both comfort and the ability to enjoy a hammock in cold weather. I've spent more than 50 nights in this hammock, including a very leisurely mtb tour of the Colorado Trail, around Cape Breton in Nova Scotia via bike, etc. Temperatures have been around 20 multiple times and while I wouldn't say I was toasty, I was warm enough to sleep in a 20 degree bag.

My main hanging tip is to not worry so much about complicated options. I just use some standard webbing, wrap the ends around a nearby tree a few times, and tie off with a series of half-hitches. Doing this has never failed on me.

Hammocks and vanagons go hand-in-hand- I agree. There are few things better than recreating actively after breakfast, napping in my hammock after, and then proceeding to beers dinner after. Wait, I just described my upcoming weekend!
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Who’s Got Hammock Skills? Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:

Hammocks and vanagons go hand-in-hand- I agree. There are few things better than recreating actively after breakfast, napping in my hammock after, and then proceeding to beers dinner after. Wait, I just described my upcoming weekend!

If you weren’t 3000 miles away, I’d join you.

I had no idea a hammock forum existed. That’s pretty cool.
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Who’s Got Hammock Skills? Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
Ok, for a more serious reply- I highly recommend this specific hammock.

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/

There are plenty of hammocks with mosquito netting attached.

Everest Gear is the one I have. No pad pocket, but I just lay on a thin yoga mat in cooler weather. This one comes with straps.

https://www.amazon.com/Mosquito-Backpacking-Reversible-Integrated-Lightweight/dp/B01MR1ZYJL

Their tarps are also very good, but can't seem to find them.

Past: '09 CC 3.6L 4motion "R36 wannabe" | '02 Audi TT "ALMS Edition" | '84 Jetta GLI with Autotech Supercharger | '89 Helios Jetta GLI 16v's (x2) | '95.5 URS6 | and the list goes on.

Never underestimate the entertainment value of OCD overruling Common Sense
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Who’s Got Hammock Skills? Reply with quote

The idea of hammock camping sure intrigues me. As a person who likes hiking, I can certainly see the appeal of carrying a hammock vs carrying a tent, mat, and sleeping bag.

My problem is I have a real hard time falling asleep on my back, and sleep on my side, so while I enjoy relaxing and sort of napping (you know, where you're resting but not totally asleep) in hammocks, I can't really fall asleep.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Who’s Got Hammock Skills? Reply with quote

So, on using the hatch hinge, what are people using on the hinge to use it as a safe anchor? We have a double hammock so its essentially going to see twice the force. Owing to the hinge's squared edges, I was thinking of some 10mm climbing rope with a piece of PVC tubing as an anti-chafe strategy. I can't think of any kind of available hook that would safely engage the hinge plate on the body.

So, what are others doing? I don't have any external hard points such as bumpers (mine are fiberglas - eek).

If possible, I'd like to avoid using loops around pillars as I would like to have the van's doors and windows operate normally. Thoughts?

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Who’s Got Hammock Skills? Reply with quote

I haven't done this yet, but have been noodling on the idea.

A couple years ago, a buddy and I attached our hammocks to my hitch-mounted bike rack on the bus. (One end of the hammock on the rack, the other on a nearby tree.)

That worked ok, though I think the bike rack bent slightly at the hinge portion down by the hitch. (It hinges downward to clear a hatch or trunk lid.)

So since then, I've been thinking of welding up a simple hitch mounted device. It would probably not have to be much more than square tubing to insert into the hitch mount, then an upright made out of more square tubing, plus some triangle brackets at the bottom, and then just a hook or hooks at the top.

Then you could back up to a tree someplace and hang a hammock.

Maybe one day I'll have time to build such a contraption.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Who’s Got Hammock Skills? Reply with quote

Two ENO hammocks, two teenagers who set them up lightning fast only to never be seen again.

Kootenay NP has cell coverage.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Who’s Got Hammock Skills? Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

Well, there's yer problem!
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Who’s Got Hammock Skills? Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
joetiger wrote:

Where’s Hayduke, Doc and the rest of the Gang when you need them? Somebody needs to (monkey)wrench those cell towers!
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Who’s Got Hammock Skills? Reply with quote

https://hitch-hammock.com/
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Who’s Got Hammock Skills? Reply with quote

vegpedlr wrote:
Team WorldTour wrote:
joetiger wrote:

Where’s Hayduke, Doc and the rest of the Gang when you need them? Somebody needs to (monkey)wrench those cell towers!

4200 miles in the back of a Vanagon without a single negative word and a willingness to go anywhere? They can play with their phones in hammocks all they want.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com

Last edited by joetiger on Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Who’s Got Hammock Skills? Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

4200 miles in the back of a Vanagon without a single negative word and a willingness to go anywhere? The can play with their phones in hammocks all they want.

Awesome!!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Who’s Got Hammock Skills? Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
https://hitch-hammock.com/

Here is a more compact albeit less functional version of a hitch mount hammock holder.
https://www.mcleanmetalworksmfg.com/product-page/hammock-mount-1

I bought one of these so I could set up with no trees.
https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/product/tensa4-h...esQAvD_BwE

It's a little fussy to set up for the first time but it works pretty well.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: