Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TMI carpet install
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 standard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:00 am    Post subject: TMI carpet install Reply with quote

Worked on it last Sunday, not terrible for an econo job.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet install Reply with quote

Looks good....One thing that I have learned is using a steamer for the pieces over the rear wheel well. Helps forms the carpet better. Not saying yours are not good, just a general tip.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet install Reply with quote

That came out great. Thanks for the timely post since I'm in the process of buying a carpet kit for Super.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet install Reply with quote

good luck getting the emergency lever boot on after the carpet is installed.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryohey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet install Reply with quote

Looks good to me
ref772
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet install Reply with quote

I just finished the same TMI install with the same 'sorta barely acceptable' results. I almost returned it. It's a shame that almost all manufacturers of repoduction parts for just about any car thinks that 'sorta fits' is the best standard that they should aim for. Top flight marketing and qlitzy advertising does not necessarily mean a quality part.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 standard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet install Reply with quote

ref772 wrote:
I just finished the same TMI install with the same 'sorta barely acceptable' results. I almost returned it. It's a shame that almost all manufacturers of repoduction parts for just about any car thinks that 'sorta fits' is the best standard that they should aim for. Top flight marketing and qlitzy advertising does not necessarily mean a quality part.

Bah, the kit was only $140 bucks. This isn't a show car so I'm happy with the way it turned out. Anyone riding in the car judging the carpet job risks being ejected from the car at speed.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet install Reply with quote

I put a TMI kit in my 74 and I thought it turned out great. No complaints at all. I also put a more expensive carpet kit in my 78 from what many consider the top of the line carpet supplier and I didn't like it as much as the TMI kit.
74 standard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet install Reply with quote

For the guys that have installed the TMI kit before, I bought the rear carpet kit too and there is a trapezoid shaped piece and a rectangular piece with a loop sewed along one of the long edges, where do these go ? I didn't get installation instructions.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet install Reply with quote

Pic?
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 standard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet install Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Pic?

It would be the 2 lower pieces here. I haven't seen a picture of a bug with carpet where the rear lap belts attach. I'm guessing the rectangle has something to do with the seat back ?
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet install Reply with quote

74 standard wrote:
andk5591 wrote:
Pic?

It would be the 2 lower pieces here. I haven't seen a picture of a bug with carpet where the rear lap belts attach. I'm guessing the rectangle has something to do with the seat back ?

seat back and the "flap" that can be used to hide what is in the cargo area.
74 standard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet install Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
74 standard wrote:
andk5591 wrote:
Pic?

seat back and the "flap" that can be used to hide what is in the cargo area.

So the rectangle is the seat back ?
Saucy Jack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet install Reply with quote

The one on the bottom goes on the back of the seat, the one in the middle goes on the seat flap....

78 SB CHAMPAGNE II
74 standard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet install Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:

Maybe I was just expecting it to be really difficult after this comment but it actually wasn’t all that hard. It’s a bit high because the cables are long but not terrible.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet install Reply with quote

Yeah, you just stuff it in there with a flat wooden stufferinner.

Maybe you need new brake cables. Yours seem stretched to the limit.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
74 standard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet install Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Yeah, you just stuff it in there with a flat wooden stufferinner.

Maybe you need new brake cables. Yours seem stretched to the limit.

Tim

Ya, I’m going to do the brakes all around soon and I’ll check the cables out at the same time.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet install Reply with quote

74 standard wrote:
runamoc wrote:

Maybe I was just expecting it to be really difficult after this comment but it actually wasn’t all that hard. It’s a bit high because the cables are long but not terrible.

I've always thought it would be hard to do so I've put the boot on first and duct taped it to the tunnel and then put the carpet on. Yours looks good.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: