Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AFM Interchangeable Part Numbers
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: AFM Interchangeable Part Numbers Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a 1978 2.0L EFI and I purchased a rebuilt airflow meter from BusDepot about 2 weeks ago, and received it last week, only it looked bad and it had bad readings at the pins. Called BusDepot and they sent a replacement. This AFM looks amazing, very well rebuild. Only thing is, the numbers are different.

My current AFM #s are :
0 280 200 020
022 906 301D

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The first AFM I received, the bad one, had the same:
0 280 200 020
022 906 301D

But the newest AFM i received has:
0 280 200 028
071 906 301A

I cannot find out what this came out of. The Ratwell interchangeable page doesn't show it, https://www.ratwell.com/technical/FISwap.html

Has anyone ever come across this part number on an AFM before? It it even possible to use AFM on different year vehicles?

Any help would be appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: AFM Interchangeable Part Numbers Reply with quote

Sorry - I am not answering your questions... but

Is there any samba member or reputable vendor to rebuild these? And would it be worth doing?

thanks as well
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: AFM Interchangeable Part Numbers Reply with quote

From vanonauts..information unverified

Quote:
Uh.... no.... all the numbers you listed are DECEL valves except the last one:

Early 75 = 022 906 301 C
Late 75 = 022 906 301 A
Early 76 = 022 906 301 A
Late 76 = 022 906 301 B
77 & later = 022 906 301 D
79 calif = 039 906 301

The AFM [air flow meter] has these numbers:

74-75- early 76 up to vin 2x6 2077 583 build date to the end of 12/75:
0280 200 012 [6 pins]

mid 76-77 from vin 2x6 2077 584 and build date 01/76:
0280 200 018 [7 pins]

78 and 79 Fed:
0280 200 020 [Vw subbed the 018 to this one and it also fits in place of the 018]

79 Cal:
0280 200 022

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: AFM Interchangeable Part Numbers Reply with quote

Car models which BOSCH 0 280 200 028 is suitable for
VOLKSWAGEN
TRANSPORTER III Bus bus 1979-1992

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: AFM Interchangeable Part Numbers Reply with quote

It is a rebuilt unit. The lid may be from a different model AFM; all of the lids are interchangeable, so the original Bosch number may not be indicative of what's actually "under the hood."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: AFM Interchangeable Part Numbers Reply with quote

if this is an FIC rebuilt unit I went thru 3 to get a good one. Great folks but when they wear out they wear out. an 020 or 018 is what you want.
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: AFM Interchangeable Part Numbers Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
It is a rebuilt unit. The lid may be from a different model AFM; all of the lids are interchangeable, so the original Bosch number may not be indicative of what's actually "under the hood."

BusDepot! I always wondered if you had an account on here. Very Happy That's what I figured, that the lid might be different and what not. In reality, this new unit I received looks a lot more like the existing one on my bus, than the first AFM i received. Here they are compared to each other:

Compared to first one I received:

A little different, not sure if it matters much.

SGKent wrote:
if this is an FIC rebuilt unit I went thru 3 to get a good one. Great folks but when they wear out they wear out. an 020 or 018 is what you want.

Yup, it was done by Fuel Injection Corp, there was a sticker on the top of the AFM. This one looks good, my only issue is that I'm getting strange resistance reading from pin 6 to 7, got 457 ohms (AFC manual says should be 40-300) and pins 7 to 8, got 541 ohms (should be 100-500). Not sure what those connections do, or what it tells the ECM.

notchboy wrote:
Car models which BOSCH 0 280 200 028 is suitable for
VOLKSWAGEN
TRANSPORTER III Bus bus 1979-1992

Only one way to find out! I hooked it up and cranked it over:

Started great! No problem at first, but the RPM at idle began to go up slightly. I tuned down the idle until I was back at 900 rpm. I'm going to have to learn how to adjust the AFM to fine tune it.. I haven't touched anything yet, not sure how screwing that adjustment screw will change anything. Honestly, not sure what it does.

andrewtf wrote:
Sorry - I am not answering your questions... but

Is there any samba member or reputable vendor to rebuild these? And would it be worth doing?

thanks as well

BusDepot has a good selection, they use units rebuilt from Fuel Injection Corp, a California based company:
https://fuelinjectioncorp.com/

Their customer service is great too. The unit I have now looks to be very well rebuilt. Still fine tuning it, so the verdict isn't in yet. But so far so good.

SS
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: