Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FINRAY 1972 Coupe Build
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
finray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject: FINRAY 1972 Coupe Build Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am fairly new here. I have already posted a few questions but I saw in someone else's post a suggestion to start a build post so I decided to create one.

I have wanted a Karmann Ghia since I was a teenager and so on February 18th of this year I purchased my dream car. I am completely new to VWs and as a matter of fact I am a novice when it comes to cars in general (so I apologize now for basic mechanic questions). This is going to be an adventure to say the least. I am looking forward to what lies ahead. I am also thankful for this large and active community of enthusiasts. I am going to learn so much.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iboughtrustandbondo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: FINRAY 1972 Coupe Build Reply with quote

Welcome! I just got my ghia recently as well. I am already jealous of your set up. Looks like you have a nice garage to get things going. I'm working on mine in a driveway in New Jersey and it hasn't stopped raining all week.

Have fun with it and post updates Smile
finray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: FINRAY 1972 Coupe Build Reply with quote

Congratulations on your ghia. I am grateful for the garage. What I do not have is a lot of the tools needed. I am building up my tool collection for this project. For instance I did not have a welder (I do not know how to weld which I am going to learn) or many of the hand and air/electric power tools needed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: FINRAY 1972 Coupe Build Reply with quote

finray wrote:
Congratulations on your ghia. I am grateful for the garage. What I do not have is a lot of the tools needed. I am building up my tool collection for this project. For instance I did not have a welder (I do not know how to weld which I am going to learn) or many of the hand and air/electric power tools needed.

welcome to the weird world of Ghias. Yours looks complete, which is a good thing. What is suffers from is a significant amount of rust. You're going to get good at welding.
On the topic of getting tools, keep an eye out on Craig's List or similar sites for second hand tools. Sometimes you can pick up really good stuff for not very much. You just have to be more cautious so you don't choose something totally worn out. My lathe, compressor, floor jack & TIG welder were all used items that serve me well now that they get light use.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
finray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: FINRAY 1972 Coupe Build Reply with quote

So as I am working on my car and dust and other small particles are flying around my garage...what measures should I take to protect my motor?
iboughtrustandbondo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: FINRAY 1972 Coupe Build Reply with quote

If you are going to rebuild the motor yourself then none. Once you crack the case you will have to clean it anyways. If not, then I use tape and bags with rubber bands to seal off all the open airways to the engine.
finray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: FINRAY 1972 Coupe Build Reply with quote

I do not plan to rebuild the motor. It had been rebuilt before I bought it.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: FINRAY 1972 Coupe Build Reply with quote

Nice looking Ghia.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: FINRAY 1972 Coupe Build Reply with quote

finray wrote:

Tarp it.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: FINRAY 1972 Coupe Build Reply with quote

finray wrote:

Tarp it.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
finray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: FINRAY 1972 Coupe Build Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
Nice looking Ghia.

Thanks!
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: FINRAY 1972 Coupe Build Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
...On the topic of getting tools, keep an eye out on Craig's List or similar sites for second hand tools. Sometimes you can pick up really good stuff for not very much. ...
Besides the second hand route you have two option for new tools. You can spend a bunch of money on top shelf tools designed for heavy use or you can go the Harbor Freight route. When you determine you need a specific tool, search YouTube for reviews on the Harbor Freight version. If the reviews are overwhelmingly good go the HF route and save some money. If not, buy a name brand. Northern tool has some good store brand compressors. I picked up a new 60 Gal. variant from them for $500 with a 4 Yr. warranty. If you don't want to get turned off to second hand compressors don't search YouTube for what can go wrong.

Welcome, we're all in this together.

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Basketcase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: FINRAY 1972 Coupe Build Reply with quote

looks like a great project!
finray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: FINRAY 1972 Coupe Build Reply with quote

I have a question about where my front bumper mounts. I've noticed in many Ghia pics that the front bumper mounts in a bracket on the inside of the nose compartment but my bumper mounts in such a way that I have to go through the wheel well area to reach the bolts. Is this a difference in models or is there something not correct about mine? I do know that I have front end damage but wasn't sure if this mounting position was normal or the result of a crappy collision fix.

Notice in my pic below that there is not a bumper mounts bracket in the nose compartment.

dlud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: FINRAY 1972 Coupe Build Reply with quote

The front bumper mounts for a 1972 are accessed through the wheelwell. Three bolts on each side.
finray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: FINRAY 1972 Coupe Build Reply with quote

dlud wrote:
The front bumper mounts for a 1972 are accessed through the wheelwell. Three bolts on each side.

Thanks! That's where they are on mine... Just wanted to check. Looked purposeful the way they were mounted but I was seeing a lot of pics around the net showing the mounts inside the nose area.
finray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: FINRAY 1972 Coupe Build Reply with quote

Another possibly dumb question but what is this tube in the picture below. It is in the front trunk and goes into front driver's wheel well then under the car below the rocker panel.

iboughtrustandbondo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: FINRAY 1972 Coupe Build Reply with quote

finray wrote:
Another possibly dumb question but what is this tube in the picture below. It is in the front trunk and goes into front driver's wheel well then under the car below the rocker panel.

I believe it is the tube that vents to the atmosphere so that fuel can actually flow to the engine when the system is closed. If there were no way for air to get in, it would be hard for a pressure gradient to form. BUT it could be something different Laughing (I have a 1969.)
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: FINRAY 1972 Coupe Build Reply with quote

It looks too big for a tank vent, plus the vent line is on the passenger side.

I'm thinking the car had AC at one time. That would be the suction line from the evaporator back to the compressor, the liquid line would have come through the smaller grommet from the condenser to the evaporator.
d
finray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: FINRAY 1972 Coupe Build Reply with quote

I am trying to remove the speedometer cable from the front driver's side wheel and I have watched some videos. From what I can tell I should be able to pull it out through the back of the wheel. It doesn't seem to want to pull out and to be honest I'm a bit nervous to pull it out too hard. Do t want to force it and break something.

Any advice?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: