Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Column Grinding on Slow turns?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Steering Column Grinding on Slow turns? Reply with quote

So I was having a lot of sway when on the highway, I talked to the guys at Van Cafe and to T3 and got steering rack bushings and anti sway bar bushings. Good news is that I can now go 70+ on the highway and she tracks straight and feels safe! My local mechanic said the rack bushings were shot.

The problem is, when i steer at a slow rate of speed it feels like the steering column is rubbing and slightly grinding on something.

Anything to check over before I take it back to him. I am mechanically inclined but wanted to pay for these jobs to be done for liability factor of front end work
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Grinding on Slow turns? Reply with quote

I suggest you lube the horn contact. Get some silicon electrical grease, usually called “Dielectric grease” available at FLAPS. Spear some on a stiff piece of paper. Get under the steering column inside the crack rotate it looking for the slider parts. Smear the grease on the brass ring surface, or work the paper between the contact tab and the ring and rotate the wheel.

I do it once a year whether it needs it or not. The bonus is that your horn contacts will last forever.
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Grinding on Slow turns? Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
I suggest you lube the horn contact. Get some silicon electrical grease, usually called “Dielectric grease” available at FLAPS. Spear some on a stiff piece of paper. Get under the steering column inside the crack rotate it looking for the slider parts. Smear the grease on the brass ring surface, or work the paper between the contact tab and the ring and rotate the wheel.

I do it once a year whether it needs it or not. The bonus is that your horn contacts will last forever.

I’ll double check this but I have had that happen once before with the horn contacts. This grinding feels much deeper and more pronounced
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Grinding on Slow turns? Reply with quote

Marshj wrote:
Gnarlodious wrote:

I’ll double check this but I have had that happen once before with the horn contacts. This grinding feels much deeper and more pronounced

Sometimes the grinding can be really bad if a chunk of that ring flips up. Feels like a brake pad that has gone to metal on metal.
Look for brass filings on the column.
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Grinding on Slow turns? Reply with quote

Will do. I’ll report back tomorrow

Also thinking it could be the end link and im now only feeling it because the steering rack is finally tight https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Grinding on Slow turns? Reply with quote

Turns out you CAN install the stabilizer bar upside down..

The mechanic installed it so the arch on the stabilizer bar was up, this caused it to be rubbing the steering shaft where it entered the steering rack.. glad I found this and didnt drive far.

I pulled it all apart, and reinstalled it correctly.. basically redoing the work I paid him to do that he did incorrectly..

Jeff
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Grinding on Slow turns? Reply with quote

I know the feeling. I just had to redo some suspension trouble the mechanic did wrong.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: