Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wondering Something On Rear Torsion Bar Ridigity?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:23 am    Post subject: Wondering Something On Rear Torsion Bar Ridigity? Reply with quote

Hello, I am wondering the difference's in rigidity between three or the "Norm" rear torsion bars.. They are the OEM Bug, Type 3 VW, and the Sway-A-Way for Bug?

See, I am in the process at some point this summer in replacing my rear torsion bar bushings which also means it would be an ample time to replace/upgrade my rear torsion bars..

The bug is a Super, with a Topline lowering kit plus F & R sway bars. Pretty sporty with a 2 liter + size engine, gets driven hard all the time, back roads that are in the country which of course have chatter bumps, wash board and pot holes so they are not the smoothest..

So, anyway, I have heard you can to from OEM bug to Type 3 which is stiffer, but really most say type 3 are great for Suby engines do to the extra weight.. Now there is Sway-A-Way, which I think is like a step stiffer then Type 3. So, do I have this correct? Yea, looking to hear some inside from people that have played with them all.. I have heard too stick to OEM Bug/Super for street use do to comfortable ride, and Sway-A-Way is for like drag bugs..

So, what are ya'lls take? Looking for inside, thanks for the help.. RB
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Wondering Something On Rear Torsion Bar Ridigity? Reply with quote

The stiffer the torsion bar, you will need to use more elaborate of a shock to control it. The type 3’s are 23.5, and 924’s/944’s are 23.5 with some turbo’s having 25.5. SAW has bars from 22-31mm that are similar rate to OEM, all the way up to 1835 lbs. I’ve known a few to use the SAW bars in the late long rate’s up to 26mm for a street/track car without having too harsh of a ride. I’d leave the 27+mm sizes for track only cars. The 23.5 OEM bars aren’t too difficult/expensive to find. I’d try them first if you’re wanting something more sporty. They won’t be too harsh of a ride. You could use a simple standard replacement shock, or upgrade to something a little nicer like a Koni. You would most likely need something like from QA1 for the bars larger than 27mm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering Something On Rear Torsion Bar Ridigity? Reply with quote

Installing stiffer rear torsion bars will make the car more prone to oversteer, great if that’s your desired effect, not so good if you’re not prepared for it.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: