Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

leaky RGB with a twist
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

I had a leaky box plug that did the same thing. I cut a piece of fel pro sheet gasket to fit between the box and spring plate as a temp fix while I found a correct size plug. Its been more than 10 years and it started leaking again this year.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

Hopefully the transaxle is not full of saw dust also....
sanhozeezee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

ok so i managed to drain the tank below the filler pipe and the leak stopped. ordered a new tank from WW and will be installing it next weekend.

so... back to our regularly scheduled program Cool bus has been sitting since i cleaned it and after a short run i can finally see where it’s leaking from. just behind the gearbox and where it attaches to the spring plate seems to be the source (see pic). looks like the PO gobbed some JB weld on for a temp fix. WTF

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by sanhozeezee on Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

Looks like that red stuff is an effective paint stripper. Or was it just really cruddy before you cleaned it?

v

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanhozeezee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

so after degreasing and cleaning up the RGB i went for a ride to get the oil circulating in hopes to trace the leak. had to get gas so i filled up my tank but when i got home WHAMMO, gas leak at the tank seams Brick wall

looks like i need to park this RGB fix and resolve the fuel tank issue...

started another post so i don’t hijack my own thread lol

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=721121
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

Good move on the degreasing.
Can't wait to see the "after" photos.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

Do yourself a favor and get the proper metal brake line grommets and the rubber caps for the bleeder valves to keep water from getting right into the bleeder valves to cause them to rust up and then shear off when you try to bleed the brakes.

Also good to apply a little anti-seize to the threads on each bleeder valve to keep rust away for much longer.
sanhozeezee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm leaning towards this.

If it was leaking from the bearing seal or backing plate you would see the fluid somewhere else other than the shock bolt.

It might even be a leak from the axle boot running down the axle tube

i think you might be on to something so why i decided to do is degrease the areas i think it may be coming from and wipe down. going to take it for a spin again later and then park. hopefully it'll seep some more and i'll be able to see for sure.

btw here are the cleaned up pics

crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Is it leaking from one of the reduction box mounting bolts?

I think that means it's leaking from the freeze plug on the back of the late-model "big nut" reduction box so that might have to be pulled and re-sealed.

The seal kit is for the axle seal behind the brake drum.

Maybe someone else can chime in on whether it will leak from there if the freeze plug is leaking.

I would definitely plan on draining and replacing the transmission fluid but you might have a different leak on your hand than you think.

I'm leaning towards this.

If it was leaking from the bearing seal or backing plate you would see the fluid somewhere else other than the shock bolt.

It might even be a leak from the axle boot running down the axle tube

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanhozeezee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

thanks dave! i'll text you in a few...
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

Let me know if you need me to come check out the fluid and help identify the leak.
I should be around the next few days! Very Happy

Dave
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

I love that method MrPolak, very cleaver. I'm saving that image for the future.

MrPolak wrote:
Here is my method:

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
Thats a nice tool, but you cant tighten the nut with the wheel off and off the ground, unless you use another method like above to secure the drum. Still better to tighten it with 4 wheels on the ground and ebrake set wheels blocked

Understood, the picture is merely to showcase one of the proper tools to do the job. I did the final tightening with all 4 wheels on the ground.

I had stored that particular transaxle for nearly 30 years, eventually using it to refresh my 1956 panel. Happily I found out that before removing that transaxle from my ‘66 single cab and storing it I had the foresight to loosen both axle nuts, also with all 4 wheels on the ground. Very Happy
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

Thats a nice tool, but you cant tighten the nut with the wheel off and off the ground, unless you use another method like above to secure the drum. Still better to tighten it with 4 wheels on the ground and ebrake set wheels blocked
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

Snap-On 3/4” drive breaker bar and 46mm impact socket.

Had it for over 35 years now, it will never fail me. Cool

sanhozeezee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

not 100% sure but appears to be leaking from the axle seal. i hope it's not the gear box seal itself!

i borrowed a 46mm axle nut from a friend so i plan on tackling this tomorrow or tuesday.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

sanhozeezee wrote:
the oil is coming from the RGB seal for sure.

To clarify - it's leaking from the seal between the reduction box halves?

This big seal

not the axle seal:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

Here is my method:

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

Get a 3/4" drive socket and a breaker bar to fit that.

If you use 1/2" drive, you will break it all too often.

Check out your local Fastenal store for such. See if they have the Proto "L" shaped breaker bar. That is the strongest style of breaker bar.
sanhozeezee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

thanks for the replies fellas. i tried i work on this yesterday only to be blocked by the infamous "big nut" 46mm axle nut. no one in the area sells a socket this big lol. i did manage to find a buddy who has one button't be able to get it til he gets back.

in the meantime, to answer some questions, the spring plate bolt isn't welded to the spring plate. i wired brushed it to get a better idea of what's under all the gunk. i think doing that may have disrupted the "gunk seal" and started the new red leak. the oil is coming from the RGB seal for sure. the bright side is the other side is bone dry!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: