Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Suspension work/Going low perhaps...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Suspension work/Going low perhaps... Reply with quote

Hi. Is it true that 84 vanagons( i have the full camper) have the longest springs?
I bought a set of red koni set. I am hoping to get rid of the upper body movements of the van. Diving upon braking, leaning too much while cornering. I feel like i am being tilted on my driver seat more than i would like to.
I have a slight butt sag but nothing crazy.
First, i am going to take measurements from each wheel to see how high i am sitting use them as reference point.
Should i expect tp replace the springs as well. ? I have been reading and some says the original spring never go bad, they just sag a bit after 30+years but cutting board trick may fix that but for better handling , replacing them would be the only option?
If you recommend new springs and as i said earlier, i probably better off with a slightly lowered van, weitec would be the best choose or any other brand/model that i have missed?
I have the stock 1.9 and if i repower i probably look for a rebuilt, van is manual, not loaded at all but have the full kitchen. Thanks.

OO also. tires are 205/70/14 just got em, not installed yet. Old tires same size on the van. They are old=12 years i believe, which probably contrubutes to the bad handling as well.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension work/Going low perhaps... Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=720718
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension work/Going low perhaps... Reply with quote

I don't see the benefit of that high of a ride but also not sure if the benefit would offset the cost of a new spring set. Should stuck springs be considered wear and tear item and better to replace since they are in service over 30 years?
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension work/Going low perhaps... Reply with quote

That's a good question. I'm running Carat springs and have added spacers to keep the (admittedly chubby) tires off the fender lips.

There is obviously some sag in the old springs from holding up vans for so long, so I've been thinking that I'd be better off with a new set of the Schwenk carat springs.

I've heard nothing but positive reviews of Schwenk's work. Cool
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension work/Going low perhaps... Reply with quote

westina wrote:
Hi. Is it true that 84 vanagons ( i have the full camper) have the longest springs?...

Could be. I know when I see before and after photos of spring upgrades...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

... the 'after' looks like the ride height on my '84.

Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension work/Going low perhaps... Reply with quote

you are driving a vehicle with a high center of gravity

Plus, you are sitting very close to the front AND on top of a Pogo Stick

Arrow the above can only be mitigated slightly

try using a digressive design shock, such as Fox or certain Bilsteins (which GW carries)
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension work/Going low perhaps... Reply with quote

westina wrote:
Hi. Is it true that 84 vanagons( i have the full camper) have the longest springs?

No - the '85 front springs were the longest and you can tell those vans a mile away by their nose up stance!

The Brick Yard used to have a good spring ID chart but my link is not working:
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/VehicleSpecific/T3/info/springs.htm
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension work/Going low perhaps... Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
you are driving a vehicle with a high center of gravity

Plus, you are sitting very close to the front AND on top of a Pogo Stick

Arrow the above can only be mitigated slightly

try using a digressive design shock, such as Fox or certain Bilsteins (which GW carries)

Very true. I am actually very far from the people who always fiddle with what they have on their hands. So, i have no prblem with settling with what my totaly stock 84 gives me. But, the shocks were shot i am sure(boge) and they gotta go.
Ground clearance is something i appreciate. I am sure it would come handy. I would like to further investigate how much/what type benefit i would get with aftermarket(shorter/firmer) springs.
UPDATE: just have my new 205/70/14 tires installed. Woow what a difference, i can tell my old tires were totaly garbage, not rated and not true at all due to sitting too long without moving.
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension work/Going low perhaps... Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:

Wayback Machine
https://web.archive.org/web/20150627083807/http://...prings.htm
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension work/Going low perhaps... Reply with quote

Yes, people forget but the tires are a big part of a vehicle's spring rate.

here is text of an Email to GW:

The Fox shocks and the heavy duty Bilsteins are digressive valving for sure. I cannot confirm the standard Bilsteins or the Old Man Emus have digressive valving.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

My best regards from Los Osos,

Dennis Mundt

Sales/Customer Service

GoWesty Camper Products
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension work/Going low perhaps... Reply with quote

RoryGirl wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:

Wayback Machine
https://web.archive.org/web/20150627083807/http://...prings.htm

Cool! And thanks! The site is down right now but I appreciate the pointer. Cool
www.thebassspa.com
thewump
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension work/Going low perhaps... Reply with quote

I have Red Konis and Yellow Weitecs (all bus depot) on my 87 weekender, so a bit lighter than yours and tire choice becomes important or you rub when turning and going up a curb, even with a decent offset wheel.

I swear though, trying to decide between different suspension parts is hard because there's very little info out there that is either detailed or consistent. My parts journey was basically:

- konis
- wheels + tires that I wanted (15x5.5 ET20mm + 215/75 15 BFGs)
- didn't like the look so wanted to drop things a little to fill out the arches
- weitecs
- custom fix

I was on the fence between the Weitecs and the VanCafe Carat clones, and went with the Weitecs which in hindsight was the RIGHT thing to do (I think) even though they started out too low.

With Koni reds and Weitecs I was at about 14.25 at the front and just under 15 at the back (center to fender lip).. which is way too low at the front with the BFGs I had on. Rubbed BADLY hitting a bump on a tight turn.

The solution was to make some spacers for the front to bring it up an inch (now at 15.25) and to add new bumpstops to the shocks as a safety.

I think the height I now have would be the same as the Carats, and maybe that's best for you depending on wheel / tire, and you'd want to trim your bumpstops, but if I had gone that route I'd be riding the bumpstops all day long on that softer spring and it would not be fun. If you have a more sensible tire choice you would probably be ok though. Having said that, if you have a lower profile tire, like 60 then the Weitecs + Konis might feel harsh. I'm really not sure.. I've heard that said.

I sometimes get the "why would you lower a van with AT tires" to which the answer is, I love how it looks, it's a year round daily driver in Colorado, these tires are very good on road, the ride is firm but not crazy harsh (probably thanks to the big tire profile) and it goes round corners like it's no rails. What's not to like?

K
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension work/Going low perhaps... Reply with quote

Great report and skill with machinery. Before i started the suspension work, the ride was not fun at all. I had to do something. All my bushings etc. replaced in front. New tires was huge improvement. I loved the look of yours, however i can deal with the look of mine with much larger gap around the wheels, only if i can improve the handling little bit.
If anyone wants to burn some cash, keep in mind the sway bar seem to have a great impact on handling. An upgrade on that may pay some good dividend.
I am surprised the weitecs lowered the van so much though. I think they advertise less drop.
I am sure it would feel awesome to drive a stiff van though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: