Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil pressure relief and overheating
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: oil pressure relief and overheating Reply with quote

Preemptive question! It hasnt happened and hope it doesnt.

I just got my bug on the road and have only driven it for 10-15 minute stints so far. Its running well and seems safe to drive too. I want to take it for a longer trip tonight with my wife but am concerned that I have no way to monitor oil temp. I ordered a temp sender switch from savemybug but it wont be here until thursday. I have no reason to believe that something will happen but have put so much time into it that im overly cautious.

Question is, how long would it take for the engine to overheat if my oil pressure relief valves arent working? How would I know that they are working correctly? They are original VW pieces and I have no reason to believe that they arent functioning but still want to know since there is literally nothing but an oil pressure switch light(that does work). There is a tiny leak from the pressure relief valves too but its nearly nothing. Does it just need a new oring or some sealant? Excuse my ignorance as its been a long time and a few engines since i rebuilt this one.

I do have a laser temp gauge that I could carry with me for roadside checks at least so if I decided to take this leap of faith, that will be coming with me, as well as a fire extinguisher.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: oil pressure relief and overheating Reply with quote

I've seen a new engine overheat (turn on a GB227) in 10 mins of abuse. I think their jetting was off, though, too.
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: oil pressure relief and overheating Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
I've seen a new engine overheat (turn on a GB227) in 10 mins of abuse. I think their jetting was off, though, too.

Gotcha. The roads I would take would be 55mph and lower and I believe my jetting and mixture to be pretty close to what it should be. I really want to put my wideband in the header collector so I can confirm this sometime soon though.

Was the abuse actually racing the car, mountain climbs, spirited highway driving, etc.? Im freshie fresh to driving acvw's and a little paranoid about whether or not the springs in the relief valves are in the correct places. The oil cooler has not leaked on my drives if that tells you anything.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: oil pressure relief and overheating Reply with quote

He was basically driving in circles (squares?) around a field. There wasn't much topography, but a little. He was wringing it out, too, not being friendly to the engine, and wouldn't have know how.
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: oil pressure relief and overheating Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
He was basically driving in circles (squares?) around a field. There wasn't much topography, but a little. He was wringing it out, too, not being friendly to the engine, and wouldn't have know how.

Ah. Yea there wont be any of that happening in mine. It would get stuck in the field lol.
anthax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: oil pressure relief and overheating Reply with quote

A stock engine with all tin in place can take hours upon hours on the freeway.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: oil pressure relief and overheating Reply with quote

Keep oil in it, make sure the belt is installed, and drive it.

You can only monitor pressure with an oil pressure gauge, and interpret the readings to monitor the springs. If both pistons were stuck up, the cooler seals should have leaked by now. If both were stuck down, you’ll see the oil light come on at low RPMs once the engine is warmed up.

Drive. It.
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: oil pressure relief and overheating Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Keep oil in it, make sure the belt is installed, and drive it.

You can only monitor pressure with an oil pressure gauge, and interpret the readings to monitor the springs. If both pistons were stuck up, the cooler seals should have leaked by now. If both were stuck down, you’ll see the oil light come on at low RPMs once the engine is warmed up.

Drive. It.
Robbie

I like it. Drive it, I will.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: oil pressure relief and overheating Reply with quote

Oh, about the leak, you can buy a sealing ring from any major VW parts supplier, and swap it out during your next oil change. Get the seating surface clean and dry for good installation. A light coat of a non-hardening sealant like Curil T on the sealing surfaces will ensure a dry bottom for decades and still allow easy cleanup.

Make sure you’re using the proper drag link socket for the job. (Web search that for pictures, I can’t post them from my phone.) Keep good pressure up on the tool as the plug comes loose. Spring tension can push the plug out prematurely and damage the case threads if you don’t apply pressure upward during the final few turns.

See you on the road,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pressure relief and overheating Reply with quote

dubsteez79 wrote:
I ordered a temp sender switch from savemybug but it wont be here until thursday. I have no reason to believe that something will happen but have put so much time into it that im overly cautious.

Think that you’ll like the oil temperature sensing dipstick from “SaveMyBug” — I have one in my car, and it has worked well for couple years now.

You can calibrate it for around 230° F (or whatever you like) with a container of heated oil on stove and good thermometer. And/or you can put it in a pot of boiling water and note where the rotating spring arm rests at 212°F.

So even if the warning light isn’t coming on, whenever you pull over you can still take a quick look to see where the spring arm is sitting relative to the contact point on dipstick. If you remember / memorize the general positions for it (e.g. at water boiling point, cool days, etc.), you can get a good general feeling for how hot the engine is running.

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pressure relief and overheating Reply with quote

Better sell it while it’s running and get a Toyota Very Happy
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pressure relief and overheating Reply with quote

dubsteez79 wrote:
Preemptive question! It hasnt happened and hope it doesnt.

I just got my bug on the road and have only driven it for 10-15 minute stints so far. Its running well and seems safe to drive too. I want to take it for a longer trip tonight with my wife but am concerned that I have no way to monitor oil temp. I ordered a temp sender switch from savemybug but it wont be here until thursday. I have no reason to believe that something will happen but have put so much time into it that im overly cautious.

Question is, how long would it take for the engine to overheat if my oil pressure relief valves arent working? How would I know that they are working correctly? They are original VW pieces and I have no reason to believe that they arent functioning but still want to know since there is literally nothing but an oil pressure switch light(that does work). There is a tiny leak from the pressure relief valves too but its nearly nothing. Does it just need a new oring or some sealant? Excuse my ignorance as its been a long time and a few engines since i rebuilt this one.

I do have a laser temp gauge that I could carry with me for roadside checks at least so if I decided to take this leap of faith, that will be coming with me, as well as a fire extinguisher.

fix the oil pressure warning system!

also see link below this post on engine fires and safety wires, all Bugs need this addressed.

use correct viscosity oil!

Bug On! have a nice drive with wifey!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pressure relief and overheating Reply with quote

Make sure your timing is set correct. It's one of the biggests things that can cause high oil temps. Make sure your carb isn't jetted lean. If you're engine tin is all in place where no hot air can enter the engine compartment from under it, you'll be fine.

You didn't note what year bug this is. If you have no vents in the engine lid and it's super hot, shove a tennis ball under the latch to allow more air in.

Then, have fun!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pressure relief and overheating Reply with quote

If you worry about every little part of the engine—what might happen—you’ll never have a nice time driving it. Unless you know your oil relief valves are kaput, don’t worry about them.

Besides, you can always drive the car for twenty minutes, stop it in a safe place, get out and pull the dipstick. It should be rather hot to the touch, but you should be able to pass it between your hands without crying.

If all your tins are in place, the belt is turning the fan, then drive the car.

Tim

Richard O'Brien

Last edited by Tim Donahoe on Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pressure relief and overheating Reply with quote

The nazis drove VWs around the North African deserts, the Bug can take the heat if all is in order. These are not fragile cars!
Word is that the vw was worth two jeeps in trade back then!

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: oil pressure relief and overheating Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Drove just fine. All engine tin in place, oil pressure system is in place, 10-30 oil, timing is set to spec, belt is tensioned correctly and is a 74 with 4 columns of vents on hood.

I worry initially about all my builds because its always possible that I missed something critical when putting the car back together. I wont be worrying about anything after 100 miles or so of driving.

Oh and ive got a Toyota that I built and drove 7,000 miles to Glacier NP last july. Still drive it weekly and dont need another lol. Razz
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pressure relief and overheating Reply with quote

dubsteez79 wrote:
Thanks guys. Drove just fine. All engine tin in place, oil pressure system is in place, 10-30 oil, timing is set to spec, belt is tensioned correctly and is a 74 with 4 columns of vents on hood.

I worry initially about all my builds because its always possible that I missed something critical when putting the car back together. I wont be worrying about anything after 100 miles or so of driving.

Oh and ive got a Toyota that I built and drove 7,000 miles to Glacier NP last july. Still drive it weekly and dont need another lol. Razz
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Keep in mind a new rebuild can consume a lot of oil initially till rings set in. Keep a very close eye on the oil level at first. Friend had a rebuild, didnt check the oil for first several hudered miles, outcome was not good, nor cheap!

Bug On!

dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pressure relief and overheating Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up! Do aircooled engines consume more than watercooled initially or are you just saying that as a generalization? I ask because Ive built several engines and only had about a quart drop in them at most. But I guess in a bug, that quart is 40% of the capacity lol.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pressure relief and overheating Reply with quote

dubsteez79 wrote:
Thanks for the heads up! Do aircooled engines consume more than watercooled initially or are you just saying that as a generalization? I ask because Ive built several engines and only had about a quart drop in them at most. But I guess in a bug, that quart is 40% of the capacity lol.

that is a general statement. not vw specific.

ps thats a cool Toyota, what year, model, engine ?

Bug On!

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pressure relief and overheating Reply with quote

Glad to hear your drive was drama free. These VW's are not snowflakes. Unless someone did something very stupid during an engine assembly, they can take a lot of abuse.

We all need to remember that any vehicle can break down at any moment. VW's that are mechanically restored by competent techs/owners using good parts are very reliable.

Side note, my 1.5 YO Ford Explorer let me down today. Went to lunch with a buddy. Came out of the restaurant. Battery died, dead. Had to call another work friend to come jump me to get back to work, then Napa for a new battery. Confused

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: