Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Calling ashman-- more starter issues
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Calling ashman-- more starter issues Reply with quote

I'm back to amend something I posted about needing a new starter over in the Duralast from Autozone thread-

I no longer think the problem was the starter itself.
Why do I say that? Because the new Duralast starter I just installed a few weeks ago now won't turn over either.

I say this with full knowledge that some on here will post the popcorn munchie emoticon as though they knew this would happen from me buying a Duralast starter.
However, I know more about electrics on these cars than anyone except one other person on this site. The explanation is not a crappy starter from autozone that only lasted 3 weeks. It's SOMETHING ELSE. My only mistake (and regret) is that I probably never needed another starter.

So the question becomes-- why did this starter fire the car right up after I installed it, work for 3 weeks, then suddenly show the exact same symptom as the original one I removed?
Here is an important clue for the TOP electrical expert on here to diagnose and help me resolve this: Both times this has happened, when I first turned the key the starter turned the engine over but it would not start. Whether this is starter related (as in the starter not turning the engine fast enough, solenoid not being supplied enough power etc.) or something else, I don't know. But both times, after several seconds of turning the engine but not starting the car, I released the key, turned to OFF, then tried again and that's when I got absolutely nothing except the "CLICK" from the hard start relay I have in back.
Yes I have tried the under the seat trick of connecting the battery directly to the starter wire, both times, and same result-- I get nothing from the starter.
Battery tests absolutely fine.
I have pondered over this for the last few hours and can only come up with a couple of somewhat reasonable explanations:

1. I burned the solenoid out on both starters letting it spin for much longer than normal while trying to start the engine (which would mean of course that I have another issue elsewhere and the starter was a casualty.) However I readily doubt this as there have been a million times over the last 4 decades we let the starter spin abnormally long trying to start a problematic engine, and it never burned out the starter.

2. A short or wear in either the starter wire from the back seat to the starter or the cable from the + battery terminal to the starter, possibly was able to complete the circuit to the starter again when the new starter was installed but is now back in a position to cause a short or not allow proper current through. Again though, doubtful since the key symptom here seems to be that each starter still spun the engine for several seconds without the engine starting, and then immediately on the second attempt the starters would no longer spin.

3. Transmission ground strap connection is bad? (Have not checked that yet.) This makes the most sense to me.

These are really the only somewhat logical explanations I can come up with why installing a new starter fixed the problem but only temporarily, then the exact same symptom repeated itself. Remember both times the starter failed, I tried the under the seat trick, thereby eliminating ANYTHING in the electrical path besides the battery, starter, and in between wiring.

There are other possibilities that crossed my mind, such as my neutral safety switch not working, but the fact that both starters initially spun before being shut off and tried again when they failed to do anything would seem to rule this out.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor

Last edited by sb001 on Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling ashman-- more starter issues Reply with quote

P.S. Ashman, if YOU say the only logical explanation here is a bad starter, I'll acquiesce and people can have their field day.
But knowing generally how electrics in cars work, I just cannot accept that explanation until everything else has been ruled out.

1600 SP engine
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling ashman-- more starter issues Reply with quote

number three seems to be logical thing to check, you havent checked it yet, check is simple, so Id do that. do a voltage drop test across the strap, test points should be tranny case to the chassis, test while attempting to crank the motor.
Then repeat test for drop between the tranny case, and the starter motor housing.

Good luck

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling ashman-- more starter issues Reply with quote

Popcorn Dang, I must be getting old. I thought the popcorn emoji meant one was following a thread as one would watch a movie. Meaning, sit back and watch how the situation gets worked out.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling ashman-- more starter issues Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Popcorn Dang, I must be getting old. I thought the popcorn emoji meant one was following a thread as one would watch a movie. Meaning, sit back and watch how the situation gets worked out.

Yes you are correct, except that sometimes someone is doing exactly that as a result of telling someone a fix that they did not follow or agree with.

I'm guilty of it Very Happy

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling ashman-- more starter issues Reply with quote

Anyway, crisis averted-

I hooked up a portable booster pack to my battery and turned the key and sure enough the starter spun right over and immediately started the car.

This would seem to suggest a weak battery- except only occasionally, as the starter has worked fine right up to this point-- like the starter before it it just picked a random time to suddenly not work due to a weak signal.

THAT would seem to suggest that the battery is not always being fully charged by the generator. (This may also explain the weird horn-not-working-then-suddenly-working-again syndrome I posted about a couple weeks ago.) But it may not be the generator-it may be the voltage regulator, which I would run some tests on but honestly this VR is so old (it's an old Echlin from Napa) I have been considering buying a newer solid state VR anyway, so I might as well go ahead and do that first and see what happens.

1600 SP engine
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Calling ashman-- more starter issues Reply with quote

Your analysis was on point. Don't think you need me, but it is nice to be wanted. Wink

The addition of the booster suggests that insufficient current is making it to either the starter or the solenoid.

I suggest the following tests which most you have already hinted at:
    Since your booster suggests a weak battery... take it to your FLAPS and have them load test it. Ask if they can actually confirm the max CCA load it can support. The Beetle starter only needed around 450 CCA when new when the wiring flowed max current. With 40yr old wiring you want a surplus of CCA if possible.

Crawl under the car and short the starter solenoid terminals to test the starter itself. After placing the car in neutral and on jack stands...
    - Using a large screwdriver or pliers, short the two threaded studs on the solenoid (expect sparks to fly). This energizes just the starter motor. It should run the starter but does NOT energize the solenoid to extend the Bendix drive. The starter motor should spin but NOT crank the engine. This confirms the current from the battery will drive the motor. If there is any problem getting the motor to spin you can suspect a bad starter.
    - Using a screwdriver or short length of heavy gauge wire, short the small #50 terminal on the solenoid (red wire from ignition switch connects here) to the battery cable stud on the solenoid. This provides the #50 terminal direct access to (max) battery current. This should crank the engine. Test it multiple times. The engine should crank every time.

If the above tests pass, then your starter is good. You can now suspect your wiring.

You mentioned a HSR. Are you using a Bosch-style relay or the larger Ford/Mopar starter solenoid? I like to suggest the smaller Bosch relay because it requires very little current to energize.
Can you post of pic of your HSR wiring? What gauge wires are you using to connect the relay? For the Bosch relay, I would suggest a minimum of 14AWG wire for the #30 and #87 connections. Keep the lengths as short as possible. If you can use 8AWG or 10AWG wires that would be even better! These are the two wires that carry current from the battery to the starter solenoid #50 terminal. Using smaller gauge wire and you risk insufficient current making it to the starter solenoid. The starter solenoid draws around 10-15A of current to activate. You don't want to choke the current flow with smallish wires. The other wires on the HSR (#85, #86) only need to power the small coil inside the relay so can be VERY small wires (18AWG).

One last thing to check... your battery cables. Not only should you check your transmission ground cable, but also remove and inspect/clean your two battery cables. You need max contact between the terminals and the posts on your battery. The ID of the terminals should be smooth with no pits or scars. If they are lead, you can get a battery terminal tool that will re-shape the ID to match the posts. The same for the posts, they need to be smooth to provide max current flow to the terminals. All connections should be clean (wire brush). After you restore all the connections, you can coat them with grease or some spray to prevent moisture from seeping in over time.

The challenge with the starter is you cannot easily measure the current that is making it to the two starter connections. You can measure voltage, but proper voltage levels do not equate to sufficient current. All you can do is ensure clean paths and max contact area/ wire cross sectional area to allow max current flow.
If you have access to a clamp on amp meter you can clamp it over the #50 wire from the HSR to the solenoid. You should see 10-20A. If this value is low it could indicate a choke point in the current flow.
Also clamp to the battery cable itself. You should see 100A+ when the starter is cranking the engine. These numbers are from memory, I'd be interested in any readings you get.

If you do all of the above and you still have problems, pull the starter and take it to the FLAPS to test. At least you have a self-supporting autostick starter. It can be tested without a jig. You could even try testing the starter yourself OUTSIDE of the transmission using a known good battery and good (thick) battery jumper cables. Just be sure to secure the starter body. It creates a good deal of torque when it spins (have a buddy step on it to hold it in place).
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Calling ashman-- more starter issues Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Anyway, crisis averted-

I hooked up a portable booster pack to my battery and turned the key and sure enough the starter spun right over and immediately started the car.

This would seem to suggest a weak battery- except only occasionally, as the starter has worked fine right up to this point-- like the starter before it it just picked a random time to suddenly not work due to a weak signal.

THAT would seem to suggest that the battery is not always being fully charged by the generator. (This may also explain the weird horn-not-working-then-suddenly-working-again syndrome I posted about a couple weeks ago.) But it may not be the generator-it may be the voltage regulator, which I would run some tests on but honestly this VR is so old (it's an old Echlin from Napa) I have been considering buying a newer solid state VR anyway, so I might as well go ahead and do that first and see what happens.

I would like to know the voltage across your battery terminals at about 2000 rpm. This assumes that all your electrical connections are clean and tight.

And when/if it won't crank, I'd like to know the voltage across the battery terminals a few seconds into trying, to see if there's a load draw.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Calling ashman-- more starter issues Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Anyway, crisis averted-

the faulty ground strap that you mentioned as some thing not sure of could cause poor battery charging.

To test battery health, disconnect from the Bug and charge with a plug in charger. note current draw, when charge complete, allow surface charge to dissipate and then test voltage of battery to see if it is up to full charge value. if not a sealed unit, take a hydrometer reading of each cell. make sure cells are at correct level, top,off with distilled water as needed.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Calling ashman-- more starter issues Reply with quote

If those duralast are lifetime warranty then stick with it. AutoZone's been around a while. You'll get your money's worth.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling ashman-- more starter issues Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Anyway, crisis averted-

All this means is that between available battery reserves and the extra amperage from the booster that the starter worked, it doesn't indicate a bad battery or charging system issue at all.

Do a voltage drop test on the cables.

For the positive cable hook one end on the battery terminal and the other one at the starter cable terminal. Crank the engine over and look for voltage on the meter. IF there is more than 1.5V you have a bad cable or terminals.

On the ground, hook one end on the battery cable and the other on the starter housing or one of the mounting bolts. Crank the engine over. If you see more than 1.5 V you have a bad ground cable or connection.

You can test the other wires in the circuit the same way, one end at the source, the other on the load.

The voltage on the meter is how much voltage is NOT traveling through the wire being tested. On a 12V system, if you have 2V showing on the meter during a test, that means that only 10V is reaching the load from the source indicating green wires or dirty terminals.

brad
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling ashman-- more starter issues Reply with quote

thanks buggy, great info.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling ashman-- more starter issues Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
Crawl under the car and short the starter solenoid terminals to test the starter itself. After placing the car in neutral and on jack stands...
- Using a large screwdriver or pliers, short the two threaded studs on the solenoid (expect sparks to fly). This energizes just the starter motor. It should run the starter but does NOT energize the solenoid to extend the Bendix drive. The starter motor should spin but NOT crank the engine. This confirms the current from the battery will drive the motor. If there is any problem getting the motor to spin you can suspect a bad starter.
- Using a screwdriver or short length of heavy gauge wire, short the small #50 terminal on the solenoid (red wire from ignition switch connects here) to the battery cable stud on the solenoid. This provides the #50 terminal direct access to (max) battery current. This should crank the engine. Test it multiple times. The engine should crank every time.

If the above tests pass, then your starter is good. You can now suspect your wiring.[/list]

Let me preface this by saying I drove the car around earlier this afternoon, and when I got back home I tried turning the car off and back on a few times- the last time I tried it the starter would not spin once again. However once I performed the above tests the starter suddenly spun up/ cranked the engine. (More on this later in my post.) I suppose it could still be a stuck starter though, and this test may simply have "jolted" it into working-but I'm kind of leaning the same way as you that the starter is not the problem.

ashman40 wrote:
You mentioned a HSR. Are you using a Bosch-style relay or the larger Ford/Mopar starter solenoid? I like to suggest the smaller Bosch relay because it requires very little current to energize.
Can you post of pic of your HSR wiring? What gauge wires are you using to connect the relay? For the Bosch relay, I would suggest a minimum of 14AWG wire for the #30 and #87 connections. Keep the lengths as short as possible. If you can use 8AWG or 10AWG wires that would be even better! These are the two wires that carry current from the battery to the starter solenoid #50 terminal. Using smaller gauge wire and you risk insufficient current making it to the starter solenoid. The starter solenoid draws around 10-15A of current to activate. You don't want to choke the current flow with smallish wires. The other wires on the HSR (#85, #86) only need to power the small coil inside the relay so can be VERY small wires (18AWG).

Here is the picture of my HSR and the wiring:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had been using the rear defrost relay as my HSR, until I found the small black one at the thrift store for 50 cents the other day. As you can see I am using rather thin wire (probably 18 gauge or thereabouts) for the connections--along with wire nuts. Very Happy For the constant battery (30) power I am using two of these wires (the yellow and silver wires paired together) to increase the current flow, although they are two split wires. This is coming off the B+ terminal of the voltage regulator not straight from the + battery terminal- don't know if that makes any difference.

ashman40 wrote:
One last thing to check... your battery cables. Not only should you check your transmission ground cable, but also remove and inspect/clean your two battery cables. You need max contact between the terminals and the posts on your battery. The ID of the terminals should be smooth with no pits or scars. If they are lead, you can get a battery terminal tool that will re-shape the ID to match the posts. The same for the posts, they need to be smooth to provide max current flow to the terminals. All connections should be clean (wire brush). After you restore all the connections, you can coat them with grease or some spray to prevent moisture from seeping in over time.

I already removed the battery terminals and wire brushed them- will do the same for the transmission ground strap when I get a chance.

ashman40 wrote:
The challenge with the starter is you cannot easily measure the current that is making it to the two starter connections. You can measure voltage, but proper voltage levels do not equate to sufficient current. All you can do is ensure clean paths and max contact area/ wire cross sectional area to allow max current flow.
If you have access to a clamp on amp meter you can clamp it over the #50 wire from the HSR to the solenoid. You should see 10-20A. If this value is low it could indicate a choke point in the current flow.
Also clamp to the battery cable itself. You should see 100A+ when the starter is cranking the engine. These numbers are from memory, I'd be interested in any readings you get.

I do have alligator clip wires that I could connect to the starter, in fact I tried the drop load test that slalom mentioned where I connected my multimeter + lead to the + battery terminal and the negative lead to the starter battery connection (via the alligator clip wire) and when I turned the key I got nothing (no crank and voltage on the MM stayed exactly the same.) That's when I crawled under the car and tried your shorting trick and suddenly the starter spun over and cranked the engine. That's why I'm wondering if I still have a sticky starter, it just seems awfully coincidental that it would be doing EXACTLY the same thing the old starter was.

At any rate I'll continue with the voltage test results I got--they are pretty much identical to the final results I got from my other thread about the horn trouble I was having:

key off: 12.7 volts at battery
key ON (engine not started): drops to around 12.2 volts
key turned to START: voltage drops to 11.5 volts (does this seem low or correct?)
once engine is running: around 13.7 volts

Revved to 2000 RPM per Cusser's request: 14.3 volts

Lastly, after shorting the starter terminals caused the starter to work again, I turned the car on and off several times and the starter cranked back up each time. Then, I checked my timing and RPM at idle, come to find out the timing was advanced to around 5-6° BTDC and it was idling (with engine warm) around 1400RPM! Could this have caused a charging issue?

1600 SP engine
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Calling ashman-- more starter issues Reply with quote

No disrespect intended towards other Samba members, but Ashman's electrical posts are legendary. I just hope that, should I have an electrical problem at some point, he's still around. I hope you get it figured out, SB.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Calling ashman-- more starter issues Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:

key turned to START: voltage drops to 11.5 volts (does this seem low or correct?)

key off: 12.7 volts at battery GOOD

key ON (engine not started): drops to around 12.2 volts GOOD

key turned to START: voltage drops to 11.5 volts (does this seem low or correct?) GOOD; MINIMUM IS LIKE 9.6 VOLTS

once engine is running: around 13.7 volts GOOD

Revved to 2000 RPM per Cusser's request: 14.3 volts GOOD

This seems to rule out a battery or a charging issue. So time to concentrate on electrical part of ignition switch, wire connections, or starter. I don't use a hard start relay on my two VWs, but would not be against installing one if I though necessary.

I don't like those household-type wire connectors in the photo either.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Calling ashman-- more starter issues Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
sb001 wrote:

key off: 12.7 volts at battery GOOD

key ON (engine not started): drops to around 12.2 volts GOOD

key turned to START: voltage drops to 11.5 volts (does this seem low or correct?) GOOD; MINIMUM IS LIKE 9.6 VOLTS

once engine is running: around 13.7 volts GOOD

Revved to 2000 RPM per Cusser's request: 14.3 volts GOOD

This seems to rule out a battery or a charging issue. So time to concentrate on electrical part of ignition switch, wire connections, or starter. I don't use a hard start relay on my two VWs, but would not be against installing one if I though necessary.

I don't like those household-type wire connectors in the photo either.

them household connectors are called wire nuts. not very good for automotive work.

ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Calling ashman-- more starter issues Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Here is the picture of my HSR and the wiring:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had been using the rear defrost relay as my HSR, until I found the small black one at the thrift store for 50 cents the other day. As you can see I am using rather thin wire (probably 18 gauge or thereabouts) for the connections--along with wire nuts. Very Happy

What is the amp rating for that 50 cent relay? Normally they are 20A, 30A or 40A. 20A would be barely enough. I like the 30A ones.

Oh dear! The small gauge wires are okay for the trigger circuit (#85 & #86). But you DEFINITELY need heavier gauge wires for the #30 and #87 paths as these carry the current to the starter solenoid. Look at the red/black wire. You want wires with conductors at least this thick. And they should be just long enough, no need for excess lengths.

sb001 wrote:
For the constant battery (30) power I am using two of these wires (the yellow and silver wires paired together) to increase the current flow, although they are two split wires.

Electricity doesn't work this way. Two wires between the same two points never work evenly. Even if the wires were two lengths cut from the SAME wire, they could never be the SAME length. The longer wire will have higher resistance (even if only 0.1% different) and a greater percentage of current will want to flow over the shorter (low resistance) length but the small gauge will limit/choke how much current flows down that path.
I STRONGLY suggest you replace this #30 wire with a single heavy gauge wire. And remove the twist on wiring cap. Get some crimp on terminals. I really don't like the single crimp type terminals with red/blue/yellow collars, but even that would be better.
Crimp a female terminal onto the red/black #50 wire that runs to the starter solenoid and directly connect it to the relay #87. The short black wire is another bottle neck in the current flow.

sb001 wrote:
This is coming off the B+ terminal of the voltage regulator not straight from the + battery terminal- don't know if that makes any difference.

Directly connected to the battery post/terminal is better as it give you MAX current right from the source. The length of wire from the battery to the VR and then back to the relay is probably okay, but will have less current available vs. directly connected to the battery terminal. Leave this for last. If it works after you replace the #30 and #87 wires you can leave it connected to the VR.

sb001 wrote:
I already removed the battery terminals and wire brushed them- will do the same for the transmission ground strap when I get a chance.

You cleaned up the posts and the terminal ID but how did they look? Was there any pitting or heavy scratching on the contact surfaces? Every pit on the terminal or post is less surface are for current to flow.

sb001 wrote:

As Cusser mentioned, your voltage reading sound GOOD.

sb001 wrote:
Lastly, after shorting the starter terminals caused the starter to work again, I turned the car on and off several times and the starter cranked back up each time. Then, I checked my timing and RPM at idle, come to find out the timing was advanced to around 5-6° BTDC and it was idling (with engine warm) around 1400RPM! Could this have caused a charging issue?

At 1400rpm the mechanical advance could have started to advance the timing. You need to get the idle rpms down below 1000rpm to get an accurate idle timing reading. Above 1000-1200rpm the distributor's mechanical advance starts to advance the timing.

If you have the time, use short lengths of heat shrink tubing to insulate the ends of each wire (over the crimped on terminals). The #30 and #87 wires carry LOTS of amps. You don't want those terminals accidentally grounding. Even if you have to wrap the whole relay in electrical tape it would be better than leaving it exposed as in your pic.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling ashman-- more starter issues Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
What is the amp rating for that 50 cent relay? Normally they are 20A, 30A or 40A. 20A would be barely enough. I like the 30A ones.

Coincidentally the one I bought is in fact 30 amp rated.

ashman40 wrote:
Oh dear! The small gauge wires are okay for the trigger circuit (#85 & #86). But you DEFINITELY need heavier gauge wires for the #30 and #87 paths as these carry the current to the starter solenoid. Look at the red/black wire. You want wires with conductors at least this thick. And they should be just long enough, no need for excess lengths.

ashman40 wrote:
Electricity doesn't work this way. Two wires between the same two points never work evenly. Even if the wires were two lengths cut from the SAME wire, they could never be the SAME length. The longer wire will have higher resistance (even if only 0.1% different) and a greater percentage of current will want to flow over the shorter (low resistance) length but the small gauge will limit/choke how much current flows down that path.
I STRONGLY suggest you replace this #30 wire with a single heavy gauge wire. And remove the twist on wiring cap. Get some crimp on terminals. I really don't like the single crimp type terminals with red/blue/yellow collars, but even that would be better.
Crimp a female terminal onto the red/black #50 wire that runs to the starter solenoid and directly connect it to the relay #87. The short black wire is another bottle neck in the current flow.

ashman40 wrote:
Directly connected to the battery post/terminal is better as it give you MAX current right from the source. The length of wire from the battery to the VR and then back to the relay is probably okay, but will have less current available vs. directly connected to the battery terminal. Leave this for last. If it works after you replace the #30 and #87 wires you can leave it connected to the VR.

All of the items mentioned above will be fixed as promptly as possible. Just FYI however, when the starter was not functioning and I did the under the rear seat test, I shorted the battery wire that goes to the B+ terminal on the VR DIRECTLY to the factory (red / black) starter wire, I did not short to the smaller connector wire I am using there. So it was the same test using the same wires I would have if none of those other wires existed, and it still failed to spin the starter. So whatever the problem is/was, I don't think it was those smaller wires. Again this is just FYI- I AM still going to change those wires ASAP. Very Happy

ashman40 wrote:
You cleaned up the posts and the terminal ID but how did they look? Was there any pitting or heavy scratching on the contact surfaces? Every pit on the terminal or post is less surface are for current to flow.

Battery posts both looked fine- I actually sanded those down a bit as well but they looked fine to begin with.

ashman40 wrote:
At 1400rpm the mechanical advance could have started to advance the timing. You need to get the idle rpms down below 1000rpm to get an accurate idle timing reading. Above 1000-1200rpm the distributor's mechanical advance starts to advance the timing.

So here is my question about this: I actually adjusted the timing first, then the idle speed via the carb. Adjusting the timing to 0 TDC decreased the RPM to about 1200, then I adjusted the volume and bypass screws to try to get right at 1000 RPM (that seems to be a good healthy idle speed for the autostick.) When I completed the adjustments the car was idling nicely in neutral right at 1000 RPM and timing was pretty dead on at 0 TDC. But I am now wondering if I should not have touched the timing at all and only adjusted the carb, because now when I drive the car it idles too low while in gear at a stop (low enough where both generator and oil lights would come on.) In neutral it is OK, but remember the autostick LOVES to bog down in gear a bit more than the 4 speed-- I assume due to the extra strain from the torque converter. This has always made it a bit of an ordeal for me to set timing/ idle speed in neutral and then hope it's OK when I actually drive it.
I haven't gotten back around to checking either timing or idle yet but I wonder if my timing was OK all along and-- as you pointed out-- it was simply too high an RPM that was causing it to advance.
So in this situation is it always better to adjust RPM (idle speed) FIRST?

1600 SP engine
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Calling ashman-- more starter issues Reply with quote

I got lost on the 1st post half way through on what should be a simple issue to solve.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling ashman-- more starter issues Reply with quote

Meiang wrote:
I got lost on the 1st post half way through on what should be a simple issue to solve.

That's why certain people on here (ashman, myself) should be dealing with electrical and certain people shouldn't.

1600 SP engine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: