Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Airhead Parts Treffen 2019
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vocho_702
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Airhead Parts Treffen 2019 Reply with quote

Just thought I’d ask if people are getting ready for Treffen. Maybe see if folks are heading out around the same time and from the same areas. I figure it’s always more fun and safe to travel in groups. My family and I are heading out July 13th from Las Vegas. We gave ourselves enough time since the last time we did it, 2 years ago we had a hiccup in Salem, Oregon and missed the official start in Port Angeles. We plan on camping in some National Parks on the way up. So yeah let us know if anyone else on here is planning and ready for AHP Treffen 2019!

69 Sunroof Beetle-AirheadParts Treffen 18
DD-70 Baywindow Camper-AirheadParts Treffen 21
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carlk3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Airhead Parts Treffen 2019 Reply with quote

I'm planning to drive out from Longmont, CO, in my 1964 Karmann Ghia convertible. I plan to be at Teton Valley Motel, Victor, ID on the 16th, Camp Coeur d'Alene in Coeur D'Alene, ID on the 17th, arriving at Flagstone Motel, Port Angeles, WA on the 18th. Anyone heading that way interested in convoying?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vocho_702
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Airhead Parts Treffen 2019 Reply with quote

Hey carlk3, thanks for posting! I don’t plan on running through ID, but it’s great to see someone on here answering. I know lots more people here are going, because last time we went it was amazing to see how many people showed up. Is this the first time you are doing this run? Or have you done it before when it was a Ghia only event? This will be our first time in our bus, Clark, last time we did it in our bug Fawnie.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carlk3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Airhead Parts Treffen 2019 Reply with quote

This will be my first time! I've been working hard to get the car ready, or as ready as I can get her. I didn't know that it once was Ghia-only. Should be an adventure!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vocho_702
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Airhead Parts Treffen 2019 Reply with quote

Oh yeah the first few years, not sure the exact number, was for Ghias only. But now they welcome all air cooled VWs! It was a blast last time so I have a great feeling this year won’t disappoint. Good luck and hopefully see you soon.

andreas5bmw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Airhead Parts Treffen 2019 Reply with quote

Yes the first 4 years was only Ghia,,,,it’s was a 2 day event and it stayed in Ventura,,,,Saturday was a cruise up in to Ojai valley and a big group lunch,,,,and Saturday dinner,,,,Sunday was a Ghia car show and awards at Karmann Ghia parts store,,,it was a a lot of fun for local people
tikirobert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Airhead Parts Treffen 2019 Reply with quote

We are from Florida and we are leaving Lake Havasu City on the 15th to head up. We are in a 74 Westy. @tikitimebus
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Airhead Parts Treffen 2019 Reply with quote

I live on the route. What day is Breakfast in Coos Bay Oregon?
The 60 Bandon Oregon.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

pantone149
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Airhead Parts Treffen 2019 Reply with quote

vocho, I plan to join the Treffen in Crescent City and bail out after the show in Pacific Grove. 73 tin top Westy, orange and white.
carlk3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Airhead Parts Treffen 2019 Reply with quote

Well, I made it to nowhere, WY, when the old 40-horse developed a bad rod knock. Limped back to Laramie and called AAA. Now back home working on swapping in an old, untested spare engine that was given to me many years ago.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Airhead Parts Treffen 2019 Reply with quote

Was that your Karmann Ghia? It must have had quite a few miles on it not to make it over South Pass. It's a good climb though what 9000 ft or so. Still it would have been a nice ride. Since the Air Head Parts Treffen is going right past my house I am' pulling out my running on 3 cylinder 36 horse 1960 beetle to maybe go with them a bit. I guess we are the only Samba Blog about it Looks like the main blog is on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/AirheadParts/?tn-str=k*F
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Airhead Parts Treffen 2019 Reply with quote

Just realized this is just 95 miles away on Sunday July 21st 2019. http://www.delnorte.org/event/north-coast-dub-invasion/
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Airhead Parts Treffen 2019 Reply with quote

Treffen 2019 Passing through Langlois Oregon:

Waitress at "The Spoon" in Langlois comes out for a look as The Treffen goes by:

Thats Our Bus the Blue Sundial 71 Tin Top at the "North Coast Dub Invasion" Crescent City CA:

Juneau with his sore paw and Peg at the "North Coast Dub Invasion" 2019

Tina Waving from their Mountain Vanagon as they head out camping from the "North Coast Dub Invasion" in Crescent City CA:

Peg and Jean Camping in the Redwoods after the Day 3 Treffen 2019 Cruze and the visit to "North Coast Dub Invasion" in Crescent City CA:

carlk3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Airhead Parts Treffen 2019 Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Was that your Karmann Ghia? It must have had quite a few miles on it not to make it over South Pass. It's a good climb though what 9000 ft or so. Still it would have been a nice ride...

Yep, my Ghia. That 40-horse came with the car when I bought it in 1982, so I'm not sure on mileage. But, it sat for 25 years. After that, when I did oil changes I noticed sludge in the crankcase, the likes of which I've never seen. It was running great, not burning oil or anything like that. I suspect a blob of sludge got stirred up and acted like a blood clot in some oil gallery. The long block is now down at Painter's Grinding to get rebuilt properly.

It was a downer canceling all my reservations at what look line great places. Hopefully I'll make it next year!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: