Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing a stock 6 volt engine into a 12 volt
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Installing a stock 6 volt engine into a 12 volt Reply with quote

Have a '62 beetle that was converted to. 12 volt. The engine is a 1500 with a 6 volt flywheel and starter. It's tired with many issues. I plan to replace this engine with a stock 40 horse 6 volt to look original. I found online a 12 starter with a 6 volt gear from Carcraft. Carcraft sell this starter using a self supported 6 volt gear and does not use a bushing. I think this can work except the generator, regulater, choke element would be replace with 12 volt. Is there anything I have missed? Your thoughts are appreciated.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a stock 6 volt engine into a 12 volt Reply with quote

storm wrote:
Have a '62 beetle that was converted to. 12 volt. The engine is a 1500 with a 6 volt flywheel and starter. It's tired with many issues. I plan to replace this engine with a stock 40 horse 6 volt to look original. I found online a 12 starter with a 6 volt gear from Carcraft. Carcraft sell this starter using a self supported 6 volt gear and does not use a bushing. I think this can work except the generator, regulater, choke element would be replace with 12 volt. Is there anything I have missed? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Spark coil would need to be 12 volt.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a stock 6 volt engine into a 12 volt Reply with quote

Thanks, bluebus86. Ah ! The coil.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a stock 6 volt engine into a 12 volt Reply with quote

Why change the starter? As long as the flywheel and starter are matching run it. Engine will kick over better with 12v.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a stock 6 volt engine into a 12 volt Reply with quote

The starter will still be 12 volts. It's the starter gear that has to be 6 volt to match the 6volt flywheel.on the 40 horse engine.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a stock 6 volt engine into a 12 volt Reply with quote

storm wrote:
The starter will still be 12 volts. It's the starter gear that has to be 6 volt to match the 6volt flywheel.on the 40 horse engine.

You can run a 6 volt starter on 12volts. If you already have an engine with a matching starter and flywheel, run it.

If the starter on your tired 1500 is good, no need to replace it.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a stock 6 volt engine into a 12 volt Reply with quote

Ok, the tired 1500 has the 6volt flywheel and starter. What I do not like about this is I am using 12 volts on that starter. When I turn the key to start the tired motor there is a loud gear cranking. I checked the ring gear and it's bang up purity bad. One time I had trouble starting this engine with all of it's issues the started got hot and would not engage and was dead. So I just pushed start to get me on my way. Maybe I am a puris and just want it sound like a stock starter. I converted my 66 bus to 12 volts with a 12 starter and flywheel. All is good.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a stock 6 volt engine into a 12 volt Reply with quote

Ok. Was just trying to save you a couple of bucks.
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a stock 6 volt engine into a 12 volt Reply with quote

Sharp 64, thanks for consitering the cost. I think it would be a wash compairing changing out all the light bulbs wiper motor, radio That is converting back to a 6 volt bug. If it's working don't fix it. Just replace the starter as aboved.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a stock 6 volt engine into a 12 volt Reply with quote

storm wrote:
Sharp 64, thanks for consitering the cost. I think it would be a wash compairing changing out all the light bulbs wiper motor, radio That is converting back to a 6 volt bug. If it's working don't fix it. Just replace the starter as aboved.

Who said anything about doing any of that? I still think you’re missing what I’m saying. I’m not a 6v Nazi. I’m all for keeping it 12v. I was just saying if your 6v starter motor was in good condition there is no reason to change it. People run 6v starters for years on cars converted to 12v.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a stock 6 volt engine into a 12 volt Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
storm wrote:

Who said anything about doing any of that? I still think you’re missing what I’m saying. I’m not a 6v Nazi. I’m all for keeping it 12v. I was just saying if your 6v starter motor was in good condition there is no reason to change it. People run 6v starters for years on cars converted to 12v.

I have been running a 6volt starter on 12volts for near thirty years. no problems doing that.

Bug on!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: