Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early Bay Fuel Tank Vent Line
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Early Bay Fuel Tank Vent Line Reply with quote

Interested in learning what everyone is doing with their fuel tank vent line w/o the use of the charcoal canister.

I'm sure that > 90% of buses do not have the full charcoal canister system working or even present. So what is everyone doing with their fuel vent line? My guess is letting it vent into the engine bay via the hardline exiting above the passenger wheel well? But this can't be ideal correct? I read that in Europe this line was tied back into the air cleaner, but that cant be good either due to potential backfire?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have exhausted the search function and tried to talk to every bus owner I know with no avail. I did see a pic of a '68 double cab vent exiting in the filler well above the gas cap. Is that a decent idea to at least vent to the outside of the bus?

I have my engine out, replacing the rubber lines on the vent system as well as the filler neck and cap. I'm trying to find a solution and would love to hear what everyone else is doing/ not doing for venting.

Thanks in advance!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Early Bay Fuel Tank Vent Line Reply with quote

Pick up a charcoal canister and hook it up. They’re routinely cheap at swap meets. Plumb it to the tank, fan shroud, and stock air filter.

In the USA, 68-70 federal buses vented to the gas flap like in the picture you posted. 70 California and all 71+ buses used the charcoal canister. The stock air filter functions as a flame arrestor; it’s all in the system. Cool

You’ll appreciate the lack of fuel smell when you do it properly.

See you on the road,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Early Bay Fuel Tank Vent Line Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Pick up a charcoal canister and hook it up. They’re routinely cheap at swap meets. Plumb it to the tank, fan shroud, and stock air filter.

In the USA, 68-70 federal buses vented to the gas flap like in the picture you posted. 70 California and all 71+ buses used the charcoal canister. The stock air filter functions as a flame arrestor; it’s all in the system. Cool

You’ll appreciate the lack of fuel smell when you do it properly.

See you on the road,
Robbie

I don't have a stock air cleaner, charcoal canister, canister mount, and the air cleaner pedestal has been cut off. I won't be going this route but I appreciate your reply. In the future I will be building a dual carb engine as well, which many owners have currently. Looking for advice on venting to the gas flap, which sounds like the best option.

There is no other filtration system that works similarly?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Early Bay Fuel Tank Vent Line Reply with quote

No idea what to do with dual carbs, sorry.

When deleting the canister, cap off the nipple on the top right of the fan shroud if it had one.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Early Bay Fuel Tank Vent Line Reply with quote

You would not want to vent into the engine compartment mainly because of the possibility of pumping gas fumes into the cabin via the heating system (remember that the engine cooling fan is the source of air for the cabin heat).

If you are not going to hook up the charcoal system, then at least direct the vent out somewhere below the tin so the fumes don't have a path into the engine compartment.

Venting to the gas cap area is also a decent option.
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Early Bay Fuel Tank Vent Line Reply with quote

Bumping this old thread.

I'm trying to find a solution to this same problem on my '71 because I'm moving to dual carbs and a bigger motor soon and want to ditch the charcoal canister. I'm considering doing a loop, similarly to how 60's beetles did on the fuel filler, but coming out of the charcoal vent line, drilling a hole in the wheel well, and venting out towards the front of the wheel well.

I also toyed with the idea of just capping off the charcoal canister line and drilling a very small hole in the gas cap - which is definitely the easiest option. However, I don't love the idea of having fuel potentially spilling out in case of an accident.

Probably my biggest concern is any venting option where the breather hose is close to something hot. I'm leaning towards the venting out of the wheel well option..maybe even running a line to the driver's side wheel well to vent away from my quiet pack muffler.
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Early Bay Fuel Tank Vent Line Reply with quote

j10nbom wrote:
Bumping this old thread.

I'm trying to find a solution to this same problem on my '71 because I'm moving to dual carbs and a bigger motor soon and want to ditch the charcoal canister. I'm considering doing a loop, similarly to how 60's beetles did on the fuel filler, but coming out of the charcoal vent line, drilling a hole in the wheel well, and venting out towards the front of the wheel well.

I also toyed with the idea of just capping off the charcoal canister line and drilling a very small hole in the gas cap - which is definitely the easiest option. However, I don't love the idea of having fuel potentially spilling out in case of an accident.

Probably my biggest concern is any venting option where the breather hose is close to something hot. I'm leaning towards the venting out of the wheel well option..maybe even running a line to the driver's side wheel well to vent away from my quiet pack muffler.

Glad you posted a follow up to this, I don't think I ever did after solving my issue.

I ended up running a vent line out to the gas fill well, like so:

I ended up drilling a hole on the inner panel just forward of where the vent normally attaches to the hard line en route to the charcoal canister on the passenger side. With a grommet, I ran the vent line from the hard line on top of the tank straight out into the fill well. I also like this because if any fuel did work its way up the vent line, it could drain through the well drain like spilled fuel at a fill up.

Solved my issues, and don't have any odor in the car any longer. I also thought of the vented cap idea, as well as plugging the vent all together, but I'm glad I went this route. Wish I would have taken a pic or 2 of the final product for reference. Hope this helps.
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Bay Fuel Tank Vent Line Reply with quote

Thanks BYeaton, I like your solution. Definitely a clever way of plumbing!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Bay Fuel Tank Vent Line Reply with quote

don't stand in front of it when you are pumping fuel.
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Early Bay Fuel Tank Vent Line Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Not sure how it's any different than how they did it in '68, pictured below. I think the point is the vapors can escape into the atmosphere versus into the cabin.

j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Early Bay Fuel Tank Vent Line Reply with quote

BYeaton wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Not sure how it's any different than how they did it in '68, pictured below. I think the point is the vapors can escape into the atmosphere versus into the cabin.

Agreed, I guess if you're really trying to emulate an earlier bay you could put an L shaped barb on the end and vent the same direction, assuming getting fumes in your face is the issue. But if it isn't bothering you already I can't imagine it matters much.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Early Bay Fuel Tank Vent Line Reply with quote

j10nbom wrote:
BYeaton wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Agreed, I guess if you're really trying to emulate an earlier bay you could put an L shaped barb on the end and vent the same direction, assuming getting fumes in your face is the issue. But if it isn't bothering you already I can't imagine it matters much.

how do you feel about being drenched in gas if it burps? That was the point.

j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Bay Fuel Tank Vent Line Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

But wouldn't that only be an issue if the gas tank is pressurized? I imagine if it is vented properly, and it looks like this method would work fine, why would it be burping? Not trying to get into an argument, just curious because maybe there's something I'm missing.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Bay Fuel Tank Vent Line Reply with quote

j10nbom wrote:
SGKent wrote:

But wouldn't that only be an issue if the gas tank is pressurized? I imagine if it is vented properly, and it looks like this method would work fine, why would it be burping? Not trying to get into an argument, just curious because maybe there's something I'm missing.

Gas just burps out of early bay vents sometimes, even if you're super careful while fueling. I've resigned to sticking the pump on full blast and keeping my drain hole clear. But the early bay vent is longitudinal in the bus, so gas won't physically splash out of the fuel filler area.

A windy New England road with an excessively full fuel tank sometimes results in a little slick spot inboard of the right rear tire. It's often accompanied by strong fuel odor, and is a result of the cool fuel heating up from powertrain heat shedding, allowing the tank fuel to expand and physically pour out the vent tube. It's nice to have a full gas tank, but don't go overboard if the conditions are twisty.

And for as much fun as DIY projects are, new canisters are available, though shaped like a cylinder, and not ovular. That would have been my first choice.
Robbie
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Bay Fuel Tank Vent Line Reply with quote

j10nbom wrote:
SGKent wrote:

I have seen them spit fuel out. Normally the vent is set up to drain down near the rear tire and not aimed right at you. I'd put a 90 on that one and aim it down. Sometimes static can set it off too, I wouldn't want it on me in a static situation like this.

Link

SmokerF15
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Early Bay Fuel Tank Vent Line Reply with quote

'72 dual carbs, 2.0L

Reinstalling a charcoal canister and hooking up vent lines the PO disconnected/closed off. Just realized why he may have done that--they seem to be clogged. Before I go cutting the lines to investigate, I'm assuming one should be able to blow some amount of compressed air through them. Is this correct?

The small amount of line that jogs around the canister is clogged, which got me thinking the rest of it may have some blocks.

BTW, what are the larger bulbed parts in the vertical line near the upper intakes for, cooling? expansion?

Thank You
Smoker F15
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Early Bay Fuel Tank Vent Line Reply with quote

All the lines should be able to be blown through, careful with the compressed air unless you have the tank panel off, you risk pushing a hose off a line, they aren't clamped. A length of small diameter braided cable, like bicycle brake cable in a drill might be helpful in this case.
The bulbs in the vent scoops are indeed expansion chambers, or liquid separators you could say.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SmokerF15
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Early Bay Fuel Tank Vent Line Reply with quote

Thanks BusDaddy! I’ll try the cable act.

SmokerF15
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: