Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heart transplant - vanaru - Transmission tips?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Heart transplant - vanaru - Transmission tips? Reply with quote

First, I know there are a lot of topics on transmission rebuilds, I have read too many to count, have jotted notes, and still have questions. I sent some members here a PM (they have responded back to me, one I need to call, one was out of town and would respond later).

The question? What should I do for a transmission rebuild given that I will be keeping to the 4 spd transmission?

(looked at subagears and chatted with folks on it - great info just blows my budget, same with "upgrading" to a 5spd VW case).

I have an 89 Westy. I do not do my own work. I think I have had pretty much every mechanical system upgraded except the engine and trans (suspension (shocks springs), bushings, brakes (not big brakes), fuel tank, fuel lines, AC, radiator).

Here is my plan for the transmission (using Mr GAS "upgrades" as reference, Greg is they way I am leaning for a rebuild but still checking alternatives out):
Pelequin TBD
SA Oil Plates
Weddle main shaft Thrust Plate
Aluminum Gear Carriers
Weddle Heavy Duty 3-4 Hub
4th Gear - GT
Port for Oil temp sender

Question:
My current transmission shifts fine, no hang ups. When i was cruising through the southwest on our cross country roadtrip in 2018, the engine was too hot (hindsight) but the trans would sometimes pop out of 4th gear (75mph in 95 degree heat). I also had a shifting issue in Seattle in 2017, and had Peacevans check it out and after pulling the magnet they found larger pieces of metal that they associated to the cir clip breaking. Once drained and refilled no issues with shifting). I post all of that because I wonder what, if anything, I gain by asking a rebuilder (lets say Mr. GAS) to rebuild my specific trans versus one that they already have (ie doesnt have to wait for shipping and maybe is already broken down for a customers specific requests)? My trans has 145k miles on it. I wouldnt have thought twice about this until reading several of SODO's posts (hence why I am specifying the likely rebuilder I will go with given the feedback i've seen here on MrGAS' quality).

I use my van primarily on established roads, but want to be able to do a cross country trip with my kids if we so decide (so going into hot dry dessert climates of arizona or new mexico etc etc).

What should I be monitoring (with gauges) on the transmission?
Any other "wish I would have" from the community for trans rebuilds when mated with a 2.5 or similar power engine?

Like all of you, I'd like to try and get this as close to perfect as I can given the limitation of using a VW 4spd trans.

Thanks in advance for any insight. Heart transplant will occur in october.

-Dana
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant - vanaru - Transmission tips? Reply with quote

I would also have Greg tap the case for a future pump and filter and cooler. Even if you cannot afford to add the pump now you'll be ready to later. BTDT.

BTW 75mph at 95 degrees is making that trans smoking hot. Your temp gauge will be a good indicator of what is happening. On my '87 that condition would give me something like a 180++ trans temp. Shocked

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant - vanaru - Transmission tips? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
I would also have Greg tap the case for a future pump and filter and cooler. Even if you cannot afford to add the pump now you'll be ready to later. BTDT.

BTW 75mph at 95 degrees is making that trans smoking hot. Your temp gauge will be a good indicator of what is happening. On my '87 that condition would give me something like a 180++ trans temp. Shocked

Thanks Dave, I'm still giving you a call ... I promise.
A pump and filter, is there a kit or something that I could have my mechanic install? SODO provided all of those cool pics, and nozzel locations, and it looks very "specific" that i am wondering if there is an off the shelf type approach for my mechanic (versus him having to design something)?

As for the temp and speed, I (a bit ashamed) realize it was poor decision, probably the reason I am now getting a transplant (engine will get too hot quickly, no leaking coolant on ground but shop agrees the next step is to tear into the engine to fix the issue...rather put that money to a longer term solution).

Thoughts on whether or not to replace 3rd gear? Clearly I'd expect the rebuilder to provide feedback on the existing condition, but say nothing appears wrong...is it life limited or should it just keep going?)

I also have been assuming I'd use stock gear ratios, but I read another trans thread where the driver changed the gearing of 1st and second so that when driving in traffic 1st could last longer? I am fortunate to not have really any traffic...)

thanks again for the reply
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant - vanaru - Transmission tips? Reply with quote

I am partial to stock gear ratios. Yes replace 3rd.

I'll look to see what I used for the pump and cooler. I believe it came from Summit Racing.

The Western Syncro build
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant - vanaru - Transmission tips? Reply with quote

No help on the transmission questions, but if you're getting your transplant done at Complete Auto, I'm jealous.
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant - vanaru - Transmission tips? Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
No help on the transmission questions, but if you're getting your transplant done at Complete Auto, I'm jealous.

That's where the deposit has been placed. Been impressed with Keith and his approach.

Just want to make sure with the cash outlay that I try and avoid kicking myself later for "nominal" things (like adding a port for a future oil filter and pump...good idea!)
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant - vanaru - Transmission tips? Reply with quote

Curious what is the difference in cost using a Subaru reversed transaxle vs building a vanagon 4 speed and the adapter kit?

I am not totally impressed with the 091/1 transaxle design. You can “beef” it up some and plumb and cool it, but it still has some design problems. A reversed Subaru will bolt right up, be up to the hp and torque, and geared specifically for your engine. Clutch, flywheel and starter were engineered to work with the engine. Spare parts should also be more plentiful. The price of entry may be higher, but might yield a better return.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant - vanaru - Transmission tips? Reply with quote

Small Car sells a manual transmission oil cooler kit:
https://smallcar.com/vanagon/oil-cooler-kit.html

Weddle sells a good pump and cooler/fan:
https://weddleindustries.com/products/1000191
https://weddleindustries.com/products/1000197

I'm in the process of piecing together my own cooling/filtration system and can PM you some photos and info that I've saved while doing the research.

Mark makes a good point about using a reversed suby transmission.
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant - vanaru - Transmission tips? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Curious what is the difference in cost using a Subaru reversed transaxle vs building a vanagon 4 speed and the adapter kit?

I am not totally impressed with the 091/1 transaxle design. You can “beef” it up some and plumb and cool it, but it still has some design problems. A reversed Subaru will bolt right up, be up to the hp and torque, and geared specifically for your engine. Clutch, flywheel and starter were engineered to work with the engine. Spare parts should also be more plentiful. The price of entry may be higher, but might yield a better return.

Your logic is what tipped the scale for me in going the SubaruGears path. Sure the upfront expense was higher than just doing a beefed up rebuild. But throw in the Peloquin (I added the LSD on the SubaruGears) and the price becomes close to just doing the SubaruGears...

My thread on the install using the 5-Speed Bus kit:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=682313&highlight=
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant - vanaru - Transmission tips? Reply with quote

Should add - had I done my Vanaru conversion and the SubaruGears at the same time, I could have eliminated the adapter plate, modified flywheel, and the high torque starter and starter adapter brining the total cost down even further.

Hindsight...
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant - vanaru - Transmission tips? Reply with quote

If it was me doing this (and some day it will be, as my OG trans is still here awaiting…something) I'd have your shop tap another fill hole on the other side of the case, more easily accessed for your future drain and fill needs. Maybe even a squosh higher up to allow more oil but opinions vary on the value of that. The easy access filler hole seems like a Good Idea, though.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers

Last edited by Paulbeard on Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant - vanaru - Transmission tips? Reply with quote

Hey, look who's back! It seems like it's been awhile, Dana. I hope all is well in the east.

It sounds like your trans is ready for a rebuild. I just had mine rebuilt and added the SA oil splash plates, temp gauge and Peloquin (love the Peloquin!!!). If I had a Subie I'd have a very hard time convincing myself that I shouldn't go with a Subie transmission. It sounds like your trans rebuild will be $3K? $4K? Isn't the Subie gears trans $6K? I get the impression you're committed to this van as a family rig and the additional $ may be worth it spread out over the next 10 years (although I understand family, kids and budgets...there's only so much to go around Very Happy ).

Regardless of your choice, I think you'll love your updated van!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant - vanaru - Transmission tips? Reply with quote

Hey All,
Thanks for giving insights!
Erste - thanks for the links!

MarkWard- based on my emails with dlb154 (thanks for the info you shared dlb), the Subaru gears is approaching $7k

Rebuild of my trans w/ Mr Gas will likely come in at $3300 and the install will be $400. So twice the cost seems high.

Hey Jim-
Yeah I’ve been off for a while since moving! Sounds like I will be doing all of the same things you installed on your trans! Seems crazy to be paying the cost for the engine swap and trans, but we knew this day would arrive so we were mentally prepared (maybe not totally financially repaired but...we got a path forward.

For the general crowd:
Any thoughts on the benefit of a repair of my trans versus one that Mr Gas has on the shelf that he would start custom building?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant - vanaru - Transmission tips? Reply with quote

The vibe I get from the SubaruGears route is that it's not "fine tuned" yet. Like maybe getting the shifter linkage setup properly.

Once my original motor goes, I plan to go EJ25. Not sure weather I'll rebuild and regear the trans or go SubaruGears route. I'm kinda leaning towards SubaruGears so I can tow more stuff (I think you can tow more with Subaru trans)
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant - vanaru - Transmission tips? Reply with quote

My preference would be to have my transaxle rebuilt vs parts cobbled together from assorted transaxles.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Heart transplant - vanaru - Transmission tips? Reply with quote

dsdunbar wrote:

For the general crowd:
Any thoughts on the benefit of a repair of my trans versus one that Mr Gas has on the shelf that he would start custom building?

It depends on the condition of your trans. If the R&P is howling and it is popping out of gear you likely have a pretty bad one to start a rebuild from. An off the shelf one may be better. YMMV.

The Western Syncro build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: