Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pet peeves
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shano63 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

People who think it's ok to drive with their high beams on all the time. If you can't see, get home before dark.
78 F250 4x4 4spd

Chris

Take it as it comes-- Morrison
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

Jimone wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
Jimone wrote:
one of my vw pet peeves is the juvenile slang. things like "crotch coolers" and "fat chicks". yall nasty.

You okay with "Zwitter"?

interesting thought.

is the word hermaphrodite offensive or obscene?

seems fine to me.

edit:
changed my tag line from zwitter to november 1952 ragtop. its more accurate anyway.

Many (though not all) use the term "Zwitter" as a derogatory name, sort of like "fag" or "fairy" has become in English for homosexuals, so it can be offensive to some, depending on the context. That's why I asked about it.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

shano63 wrote:
People who think it's ok to drive with their high beams on all the time. If you can't see, get home before dark.

Don't get me started on that! All I will say is:

If you are not competent enough to operate your headlights (or signals for that matter) properly, should you even have a driver's licence?
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Jimone wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
Jimone wrote:
one of my vw pet peeves is the juvenile slang. things like "crotch coolers" and "fat chicks". yall nasty.

You okay with "Zwitter"?

interesting thought.

seems fine to me.

edit:
changed my tag line from zwitter to november 1952 ragtop. its more accurate anyway.

Many (though not all) use the term "Zwitter" as a derogatory name, sort of like "fag" or "fairy" has become in English for homosexuals, so it can be offensive to some, depending on the context. That's why I asked about it.

i had no idea. i have only heard it in reference to the transitional beetle of late 52 - early 53. i dont support using that kind of exclusionary language. thank you for the education.
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
shano63 wrote:

Don't get me started on that! All I will say is:

If you are not competent enough to operate your headlights (or signals for that matter) properly, should you even have a driver's licence?

Completely agree. I want the ability to pull people over and cut up their drivers licenses and send them home in shame.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

Officers who really want to inconvenience you, instead of giving you a cite, can send you back to take your driver's license test!

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

This is a peeve of mine. :snipersmile: How fucking hard is it to reach a whole 12mm to flick a lever on the left side of the steering wheel, to initiate a lane change or prepare to make a turn?
Apparently, It's extremely difficult in this part of the world!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

Or, how about the next level of peeve?

The idiot that is making love to their text messages. Rather than paying attention to the traffic signals they are sitting at.

The signal changes green, and the idiot sits there reading their messages, Mean while the traffic waits for them to get their act together and move!

I have to cross a set of train tracks coming and going to/from work. The signals only allow 4 cars to cross the tracks.
The idiot sits there for 10 seconds oblivious to the signal change, and all the traffic behind them can't turn. Twisted Evil

Give the idiot a blast of the horn. And they get pissed off. Idiots!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

People say “You have no idea!” How could they possibly know that? As it happens, each time someone says that, I actually DO have an idea of their situation. Their comment gives me the ability to dismiss anything further they say. Don’t do that folks. Please Rolling Eyes
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

bigdog1962 wrote:
Not being able to turn on my AC to help with the defrost in my 2011 Avalanche when it's 35 degrees outside. And no, the AC doesn't kick in when you turn on the defrost.

It's a factory setting. Fortunately, it doesn't get that cold very often down here.

That’s actually by design to stop the evap from icing up. It’s usually triggered by air temperature in the evap though,so once the car warms up a bit the AC will come on
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

Here's a beauty I heard this morning, local news station
' the most trusted name in news ' , made my morning. Dancing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

yup thats like the places that have the voted the best!! plaques on the walls..by who the owner?
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

My current pet peeve after completing a 4500 mile road trip in the Rent-a-Nissan: the new breed of semi-truck jockeys. It seems the days of courteous, professional drivers are becoming a thing of the past.
Don't signal lane changes----
Hog the left lane mile after mile----
Tailgate-----
Drive 90 mph as if they are in a sports car that can stop on a dime-----

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
My current pet peeve after completing a 4500 mile road trip in the Rent-a-Nissan: the new breed of semi-truck jockeys. It seems the days of courteous, professional drivers are becoming a thing of the past.
Tailgate-----

Ah, you've met many of our West Coast truckers. The professionals are few and far between, but still out there. I've noticed that the British Columbia trucks are particularly aggressive down here in the states.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

Well, if they’re hogging the left lane @90+mph, that’s where they should be. Been happy to spend a few hours behind those guys in the wee hours
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
Well, if they’re hogging the left lane @90+mph, that’s where they should be. Been happy to spend a few hours behind those guys in the wee hours

+1000 on that

90 mph in my state gets you taken off the road. I appreciate it is different out west
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

Jimone wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

You okay with "Zwitter"?

interesting thought.
seems fine to me.

edit:

I've always understood zwitter in this case to mean hybrid or (at worst) mongrel/bastard. I think people enjoy the frisson of the biological meaning. interestingly zwitter is a masculine noun. looking around, I see that we get the blame for it - 'As far as I have been told, the "zwitter" name came about through an English VW Club in the 1970's.'(the samba 2005)
you could always call your '52 an ' oval dash' which is an inoffensive alternative.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
Well, if they’re hogging the left lane @90+mph, that’s where they should be.

I should clarify my rant: The 90mph and the lane hog are not the same guy.
The lane hog is the Bozo whose truck won't go over 66 mph and insists on passing a truck that tops out at 65 1/2 mph who is going as fast as he can.
Up hill, down hill, mile after mile.
The 90 mph guy is not a lane hog. Rather, he delights in coming up behind a 75 mph "four wheeler" in the right lane and at the last instant changing lanes (without a signal of course).
Oh, as a bonus, that truck is fitted with shitty aftermarket headlights that are totally out of adjustment.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

Emily's Owner wrote:
iowegian wrote:
Tailgate-----

Ah, you've met many of our West Coast truckers. The professionals are few and far between, but still out there. I've noticed that the British Columbia trucks are particularly aggressive down here in the states.

Trust me they drive that way in BC too! On a bad weather days they absolutely DOMINATE the ditches. Trouble is they tend to take others with them. On our last trip to BC we were held up for 2 hours by a wreck. When we finally got to the scene it was one of those drivers who had opened up the side of a Jeep like a can of sardines! Not pretty!
iowegian wrote:
Jacks wrote:
Well, if they’re hogging the left lane @90+mph, that’s where they should be.

I should clarify my rant: The 90mph and the lane hog are not the same guy.
The lane hog is the Bozo whose truck won't go over 66 mph and insists on passing a truck that tops out at 65 1/2 mph who is going as fast as he can.
Up hill, down hill, mile after mile.
The 90 mph guy is not a lane hog. Rather, he delights in coming up behind a 75 mph "four wheeler" in the right lane and at the last instant changing lanes (without a signal of course).
Oh, as a bonus, that truck is fitted with shitty aftermarket headlights that are totally out of adjustment.

Man-O-man yes! You have been driving on our highways here haven't you!

Then there is the clowns that have a half a year's salary of "scatter beam" light bars that refuse to dim when meeting oncoming traffic!

My cousin has been a professional trucker most of his life and you should hear the stories he tells about the "new generation" of drivers!

We had an incident in Saskatewan a couple years back where one of these "new generation" drivers blew a stop sign and took the lives of a half of a bus load of junior hockey players. Yup, 3rd day on the job and fresh out of "trucker school" too.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Tailgate-----

I've also noticed this the past decade.

Add the truckers who think it's fine to pass another truck going 50 uphill on the Interstate by going 51 mph, thereby blocking a mile or more of traffic until the trucker realizes that he doesn't have enough power to pass and only then drops back.

Here in Arizona when there's a truck going slow in the right lane, drivers get into the left lane to eventually ass, and buttheads zoom up in the right lane and then get caught behind such truck and then force/squeeze their way in, even when folks are already tailgating in the left lane. With my older trucks (1988, 1998, and 2004) they don't try to cut in too often, figure I've got a "beater".

Sometimes I'm the butthead and I don't let right lane speeders butt in.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 62

Jump to: