Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pet peeves
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
When my incoming tech students call a “slotted” screwdriver a “flathead”.

I’ve sold retail tools for 10 years, you get the name wrong you’re wasting money.

This year I’ll just send them this link so I don’t have to repeat myself.

https://makezine.com/article/workshop/quick-tip-kn...-flathead/

More Cliff Clavin style fun to “Drill down” with your students and customers. Is it a Crosshead screw or Phillips screw? General Motors was a fan. Phillips or Thompson?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_F._Phillips

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:

I’ve sold retail tools for 10 years, you get the name wrong you’re wasting money.

Just tell them we don’t do Fords here….

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flathead_engine
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:

They are named "flathead" after the guy that invented them! Severe case of brain collapse me thinks. Those stupid things have let more blood out of people over the years than all of France's guillotines!
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
this is like saying;
"when people assign a name to their pets."

My friend tells the story of his grandfather being asked "What's the name of your dog and cat?"

He answered "Dog is Dog and Cat is Cat." Laughing
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hobthebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

My pet peeve is when people bring their dogs everywhere such as the super market, the beach (when there's a no dog rule posted at the beach), and even church! You'd think they worship dog, not God.

Also, I have a few spare flathead screw drivers in my car...

I mean, slotted! Geez.

And Xevin, your wife looks like a badass. Good job!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

Phillips v. Pozidrive v. JIS......
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
My peeve is that I've misplaced my tie rod end/pitman arm removal tool. I replaced two inner tie rod ends on my 1971 Super in late 2021 and used it on ball joints and tie rod ends in March 2022, but now it's hiding somewhere.

Hopefully it will turn up before I need to use it again....

Yesterday I looked in the hidden space underneath the lower shelf of my shelving units, in case I'd kicked it there. Great idea - but I didn't find the tie rod end puller, but did find my 12mm impact socket.....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:

Xevin wrote:
Is it a Crosshead screw or Phillips screw?

My wife calls them plus and minus.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

hobthebob wrote:
My pet peeve is when people bring their dogs everywhere such as the super market, the beach (when there's a no dog rule posted at the beach), and even church! You'd think they worship dog, not God.

Even better is when they don't pick up after them when they leave their sculptures.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Phillips v. Pozidrive v. JIS......

I find it quite surprising how many folks don't know what Pozidrive and JIS mean. Also Robertson screws. Most just call them square drive.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

When people say “no problem” instead of “your welcome” after you say “thank you”.
I originally thought is was a teen trend but now I hear it everywhere by multi generations who sound as foolish as teens.
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
When people say “no problem” instead of “your welcome” after you say “thank you”.
I originally thought is was a teen trend but now I hear it everywhere by multi generations who sound as foolish as teens.

This grated on me , too , for a while, but I have adapted to it as the generational evolution of language.

I realized the British “ not at all” was an earlier version of this.

I still use “ You are welcome” or “ or the French “ it’s nothing “
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

when other people copy your ideas for a topic.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:

This drives me bananas!!! I’m a big box retail manager. I remember when this became a thing 10-15 years ago with the millennial kids. I’d have staff meanings
to try and stop it. They didn’t realize that was offensive to some customers. Over time I ended up losing that battle. “It is, what it is” Brick wall

My pet peeve. When people say “It is, what it is” :fist:

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:

I couldn't find the exact image/text I wanted to post but here's the logic:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I say "No problem" myself for the reasons mentioned above.
I'm Gen X.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

This drives me bananas!!! I’m a big box retail manager. I remember when this became a thing 10-15 years ago with the millennial kids. I’d have staff meanings
to try and stop it. They didn’t realize that was offensive to some customers. Over time I ended up losing that battle. “It is, what it is” Brick wall

My pet peeve. When people say “It is, what it is” :fist:

How about when the clerk/cashier hands me my purchase and says
"Here ya go"------now that REALLY pisses me off. Evil or Very Mad
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

Or “your good” or “your golden”. Then “have a goot one”. Yes, “goot”!
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

I say "No problem" myself for the reasons mentioned above.
I'm Gen X.

for some reason this doesn't bother me, although I probably use the aussie style 'no worries', even though my inner pedant can be triggered by lesser violations. what does peeve me is the whole 'boomer' 'millennial' etc ageism/devisive thing.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

If I screwed something up I used to say "oopsie" but now, wanting to remain youthful, I go with "my bad".
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
If I screwed something up I used to say "oopsie" but now, wanting to remain youthful, I go with "my bad".

I hate this phrase. To me it saying I'm not going to take responsibility for what I just did. I don't care about the problem, cost or inconvenience I just caused you because you mean nothing to me.
Wow! I really put a lot of context in that. I'm sorry if I cause you any distress.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 62

Jump to: