Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pet peeves
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
This drives me bananas!!! I’m a big box retail manager. I remember when this became a thing 10-15 years ago with the millennial kids. I’d have staff meanings
to try and stop it. They didn’t realize that was offensive to some customers. Over time I ended up losing that battle. “It is, what it is” Brick wall

My pet peeve. When people say “It is, what it is” :fist:

Just sayin' !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

“I was about too”
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:
When people say “no problem” instead of “your welcome” after you say “thank you”.
I originally thought is was a teen trend but now I hear it everywhere by multi generations who sound as foolish as teens.

I couldn't find the exact image/text I wanted to post but here's the logic:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I say "No problem" myself for the reasons mentioned above.
I'm Gen X.

Everett,
I totally get what your post is getting at. I knew it back in the day as well. I know the young associates were not being rude. Unfortunately to some customers they were being rude. I tried to teach my younger associates how their choice of slang and modern phrases could be demeaning to a multi cultural and mature customer base different than their age group. I’m dealing with thousands of customers a day at times.

I’ve noticed lately the younger associates get pissed when someone doesn’t use the pronoun or vernacular they are comfortable with. Yet they often don’t take the time to understand the older generations vernacular. So much hypocrisy in the world.

Golden Rule states: “treat others how you would like to be treated,” the Platinum Rule advises: “treat others how they would like to be treated.” In other words, the Golden Rule places the emphasis on you. The Platinum Rule places it on the other person.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
DeathRay64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

When people advertise that you can get something “for free”.
No… it is either just “free” or “for nothing”.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

Golden Rule states: “treat others how you would like to be treated,” the Platinum Rule advises: “treat others how they would like to be treated.” In other words, the Golden Rule places the emphasis on you. The Platinum Rule places it on the other person.

On the subject of how a person wants to be treated, a person's name (and the correct pronunciation) is very important. Do you prefer "Ex evin" or is it "Zevin" ?
MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

The term "Without further ado"......every YouTube video uses that phrase.

Also, when someone doesn't understand what you said. Instead of "excuse me" or even "what?" they say "What happened?" Drives me insane.

WTB: Bay Shore or Queensboro VW Frames

HBB 1984-2009
RW 1943-2011
ER 1964-2023
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Xevin wrote:

On the subject of how a person wants to be treated, a person's name (and the correct pronunciation) is very important. Do you prefer "Ex evin" or is it "Zevin" ?

Definitely X-evin, a value that is not yet known. I’m unknown and provide questionable value Very Happy
No way am I cool like Warren Wink Cool

Link

More like…….only he’s funnier

Link

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Xevin wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:
When people say “no problem” instead of “your welcome” after you say “thank you”.
I originally thought is was a teen trend but now I hear it everywhere by multi generations who sound as foolish as teens.

This drives me bananas!!! I’m a big box retail manager. I remember when this became a thing 10-15 years ago with the millennial kids. I’d have staff meanings
to try and stop it. They didn’t realize that was offensive to some customers. Over time I ended up losing that battle. “It is, what it is” Brick wall

My pet peeve. When people say “It is, what it is” :fist:

How about when the clerk/cashier hands me my purchase and says
"Here ya go"------now that REALLY pisses me off. Evil or Very Mad

As long as we're in the retail/sales associate vein, here's a couple.

I don't like when, after I check out at the register, the clerk hands me the receipt and says nothing. This is the ultimate in rudeness, as if they could barely be bothered to do their job and/or acknowledge the customer. Even a 'thank you' with no eye contact and even the hint of a smile is less than acceptable.

Being relatively new to retail, and working as a sales associate in a big box store that provides training in customer service, I have found that it's not the words so much as the attitude and facial expression that convey underlying meaning.

First of all, a genuine smile always helps. I can say, 'You're welcome,' or 'no problem' and have it perceived as positives by my customers. I also add, 'and thank you,' to the end of either one of those, and the effect is doubly positive. And I know it all works because of the feedback I have received from management.

At any rate, the words mean little without the underlying (positive) attitude. It's the old 'pictures speak louder than words' or 'reading between the lines' thing.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

I don't understand why some people insist on referring to something that occurred as "an historic" event. I don't recall taking "istory" in school all those years ago. Rolling Eyes
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

In the mid 90's I managed a lumber hardware store in Lake Tahoe, the weekend warriors would come up from the bay area to work on their 2500 sqft 'cabins', being we were 60 or so miles on top a mountain xfrom a major city it cost us more for freight, they could not understand why we were not competitive with big box stores, I would get the 'things are cheaper in the city' , I would agree and point over my shoulder, reno Nevada is 60 miles that way.
When the dot com crowd came up to the lake , they had lots of money but expected the same products they could get in the big city.. sorry, got to go to reno.
I'm not sure I would tolerate working in retail in today's world. 🙃
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

I am not sure if this has been addressed yet: Self check out!

All the big box stores are moving to this asinine, supposed money saving thing. It is driving me NUTS! Ya, fire all the clerks and put in machines, then they don't trust you so there are guards put in place at the door to make sure you are not trying to get away with something. If you don't trust me to do your job then go back to doing it yourself!

The last big box store I was at in the city there was NO clerks at the regular tills so we were forced to do the self check out thing. Then on the way out there was 5 guards policing the customers. We were checked 3 times by three of these guards in a distance of 50 feet! I felt like a bloody criminal!!!

And I would like to ask, what is my rate of pay, holiday and benefit package while I work in your store doing your job?

What is the next cost saving step? Have the customer unload the trucks, sort freight and stock the shelves? "Oops, running short of tuna, I better put that on your order list for Monday - Sir!"
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

On a related note my peeve is the "how did we do?" rating survey that comes up on the self checkout, I did an outstanding job, but if I give myself 5 stars some bigshot in head office will take credit for me doing someone else's job.

And why are there 15+ self check tills yet only 4 or 5 are open at any time?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

finster wrote:
EverettB wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

I'm Gen X.

for some reason this doesn't bother me, although I probably use the aussie style 'no worries', even though my inner pedant can be triggered by lesser violations. what does peeve me is the whole 'boomer' 'millennial' etc ageism/devisive thing.

No worries wouldn't bother me either because anything is polite to me either way.
Same as someone saying "Bless You" when I'm not religious.
The person is being nice, if you get mad at it then you are the issue, not them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
EverettB wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

I couldn't find the exact image/text I wanted to post but here's the logic:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm Gen X.

Everett,
I totally get what your post is getting at. I knew it back in the day as well. I know the young associates were not being rude. Unfortunately to some customers they were being rude. I tried to teach my younger associates how their choice of slang and modern phrases could be demeaning to a multi cultural and mature customer base different than their age group. I’m dealing with thousands of customers a day at times.

I’ve noticed lately the younger associates get pissed when someone doesn’t use the pronoun or vernacular they are comfortable with. Yet they often don’t take the time to understand the older generations vernacular. So much hypocrisy in the world.

Agree, in that case if you are the manager then you have the right to tell the clerks what to say and they should follow it as part of their job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

Two days before a doctors appointment, I get a text reminding me and asked to reply "C" to confirm... so i do. A hour or so later I get a email from the same office reminding me. Later that day I get an automated call on my cell to remind me.

Seriously, once is enough,

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

I love self checkout if I only have a few items because it's faster and I avoid anyone:
* Paying with cash/checks that take forever
* Aren't ready to pay when everything is totaled
* Want to chat with the checker for 5 minutes too.

My pet peeve with the self-checks would be the ones at Safeway that don't work worth a damn and you have to call the clerk 50-75% of the time to correct things.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

All the big box stores are moving to this asinine, supposed money saving thing. It is driving me NUTS! Ya, fire all the clerks and put in machines, then they don't trust you so there are guards put in place at the door to make sure you are not trying to get away with something. If you don't trust me to do your job then go back to doing it yourself!

The last big box store I was at in the city there was NO clerks at the regular tills so we were forced to do the self check out thing. Then on the way out there was 5 guards policing the customers. We were checked 3 times by three of these guards in a distance of 50 feet! I felt like a bloody criminal!!!

And I would like to ask, what is my rate of pay, holiday and benefit package while I work in your store doing your job?

What is the next cost saving step? Have the customer unload the trucks, sort freight and stock the shelves? "Oops, running short of tuna, I better put that on your order list for Monday - Sir!"

Dang! 5 security guards at the stores you shop at in the city Think Sounds like a rough part of Canada. Remind me to not visit that city.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

Mrs. Cusser says that younger folks typically do not RSVP or acknowledge gifts....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
oprn wrote:

I love self checkout if I only have a few items because it's faster and I avoid anyone:
* Paying with cash/checks that take forever
* Aren't ready to pay when everything is totaled
* Want to chat with the checker for 5 minutes too.

You got it brother. Let me add.

* Don’t believe the clerk what the very smart register totaled up and need to examine the receipt in detail.
* Need to go to their car for the coupons they forgot.
* Noodle on their smartphone for a coupon on the internet at the register and can’t find one.
* Didn’t read the sign with the prices correctly.
* Retailer that fucked up their pricing signage.
* People who make my cashiers feel uncomfortable Shocked

I like self checkout because I have the option to get out sooner. Self check out is not for everyone.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Mrs. Cusser says that younger folks typically do not RSVP or acknowledge gifts....

We have one teenage grandchild who phones us to thank for a gift. The other 2 teenage grandchild say they can't------(our landline does not text).
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Jump to:
Page 25 of 62

Jump to: