Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empi 40 HPMX hex bar not aligned
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dung Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Empi 40 HPMX hex bar not aligned Reply with quote

Hey all, kind of dumb question. I bought a empi 40 HPMX dual carb kit with the hex bar linkage. I got it all assembled and the damn thing doesn't sit right. the receiver sockets for the ball ends are off set to compensate for the cylinders being offset, but it doesn't look like they are offset enough. Any tips?

also, the case is a universal type case. if that makes a difference.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi 40 HPMX hex bar not aligned Reply with quote

Pictures?

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Dung Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi 40 HPMX hex bar not aligned Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Pictures?

Dale

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi 40 HPMX hex bar not aligned Reply with quote

Pretty sure they have a set for straight intakes and another for offset intakes. You might have the wrong one?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi 40 HPMX hex bar not aligned Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Pretty sure they have a set for straight intakes and another for offset intakes. You might have the wrong one?

Looks like straight manifolds and offset linkage.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dung Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi 40 HPMX hex bar not aligned Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

Looks like straight manifolds and offset linkage.

Yeah, I think you are right there. it is pretty awesome this came as a kit. Smile Got to love Empi. I think I will eventually do the sync link, so I just made it work by clearancing the bushing a little.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi 40 HPMX hex bar not aligned Reply with quote

I made a plate to adapt mine when I put a new set of heads and manifolds on my motor. Turned out spot on.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi 40 HPMX hex bar not aligned Reply with quote

Nothing like having to "make" a purchased part work correctly.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi 40 HPMX hex bar not aligned Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Nothing like having to "make" a purchased part work correctly.

True, but the linkage was already on the car for over 3 decades. And no sense in having to buy new carb mounts for them and I had no idea what i had or what to ask about when ordering heads and port matched manifolds.
And the SS I used is plenty stiff and looks decent.

And besides, if you didn't have to make/modify anything, all you did was assemble parts, not "build" it.

Last edited by ps2375 on Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dung Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi 40 HPMX hex bar not aligned Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
I made a plate to adapt mine when I put a new set of heads and manifolds on my motor. Turned out spot on.

I like what you did there. Maybe I will do something like that. Also is that distributor stock? Looks a lot like a electronic ignition in a distributor package.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi 40 HPMX hex bar not aligned Reply with quote

Dung Beetle wrote:
Also is that distributor stock? Looks a lot like a electronic ignition in a distributor package.

Looks like a modified GM HEI.

https://performancedistributors.com/product/vw-type-1-dui-distributor-racing-version/

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Dung Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi 40 HPMX hex bar not aligned Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Dung Beetle wrote:
Also is that distributor stock? Looks a lot like a electronic ignition in a distributor package.

https://performancedistributors.com/product/vw-type-1-dui-distributor-racing-version/
oooh, this looks cool... I may have to try something like that in the future.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi 40 HPMX hex bar not aligned Reply with quote

Dung Beetle wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Dung Beetle wrote:

oooh, this looks cool... I may have to try something like that in the future.

It is a modified HEI distributor, my father did that before they came out with the kits and write-ups on how to do it, way back when.

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Empi 40 HPMX hex bar not aligned Reply with quote

just get the correct bracket and all will be fine. if you bought it new empi should send you what you need free,well they always sent me what was rong in the empi stuff Ive bought.Ive never had any service issue with empi. witch is why I was so happy when they bought bugpoop, as bugpoop had zero service.. it wood of beeen nice if they had made those brackets with adjustable stanchion for the bar to be adjusted up down fore&aft....then 1 part wood cover mulitable situations. nice doubble stack filters!!!^^^
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Empi 40 HPMX hex bar not aligned Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
nice doubble stack filters!!!^^^

Thanks, I wanted more room above the stacks and this added enough and just fit under lid with no modding.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Empi 40 HPMX hex bar not aligned Reply with quote

My personal opinion is to throw all the EMPI and CB hex bar crap in the trash and get the CSP bellcrank linkage.

Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Empi 40 HPMX hex bar not aligned Reply with quote

I ran my empi li kage like that for almost 2 years with no problems. Ended up wearing out the heims on the down rods and went with cb linkage with cast bases and tops.
Mike E.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi 40 HPMX hex bar not aligned Reply with quote

I had exactly the same problem. I had to stick to my guns and press Empi. At their request, I sent them all of the parts that came in the kit I bought and they mocked it up and saw it wasn't right. At that point they scrounged up a different linkage plate and now my crossbar is parallel with the fan shroud. For the inconvenience they sent me the upgraded bearing assembly for the ends of the crossbar as well. You may want to try to see if they will send you the correct plate.

I have the contact number for the guy I dealt with at Empi. If you want it send me a PM and I'll share it with you. It may help using the same guy as he realized there was a real issue in the end and made it right.

Edit: I just pulled up the picture of mine and it was the opposite angle from yours
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi 40 HPMX hex bar not aligned Reply with quote

Empi crossbar kits dont fit redline air cleaner bases without running into this problem. Same thing with CB crossbar kit. I have to mod them when I use those with red line. The offset manifolds dont compensate enough for the early redline filter bases which I like to use on air box setups. It is the early redline bases that cause the issue from what CB said.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike E.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi 40 HPMX hex bar not aligned Reply with quote

oldschool5er wrote:
Empi crossbar kits dont fit redline air cleaner bases without running into this problem. Same thing with CB crossbar kit. I have to mod them when I use those with red line. The offset manifolds dont compensate enough for the early redline filter bases which I like to use on air box setups. It is the early redline bases that cause the issue from what CB said.

That is a possibility in certain cases, but all of my parts including the manifolds were supplied by Empi. It appears from the OP's first post that he had all Empi parts as well. It is certainly a quality control issue with Empi matching the manifolds with the lower air cleaner bases.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: