Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Emergency Brake Cable on 55
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Emergency Brake Cable on 55 Reply with quote

Ran in to an issue with the E brake cables that run to the front on a 55. The passenger side the e brake cable sticks out far enough to get the hardware on. The driver side cable is only sticking out about 1/4 if that , you can barely get a nut on it much less the brackets. I thought maybe one cable was shorter than the other so I pulled both out, both measure the same. I then stuck the passenger cable into the driver side and it still only sticks out about 1/4 inch. Could the tube inside of the tunnel be bent down causing the cable to be shorter, acting kind of like a bowden tube acts? Does anyone have an idea what my issue might be?

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency Brake Cable on 55 Reply with quote

Don't know about the bent tube but if the cable moves good in the tube you can have a longer one made up at an aviation place that does this kind of work for private airplanes...I had to get both of mine remade on my '55. I got them made up with threaded adjusters on both ends, to exact length to work with the disc brakes on the rear...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency Brake Cable on 55 Reply with quote

I think the issue was due to the later backing plates. What I did to fix it was to remove the end that has the grease fitting I then cut a one inch section out of the rubber wrapped steel tubing then re clamped the end back on. That gave ne plenty of extra up front to adjust the e brake properly. It was a PITA to cut the tubing away without cutting through the cable.

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency Brake Cable on 55 Reply with quote

I appreciate you guys with experience and patience sharing your work-arounds and builds here...keeps us less experienced folks plugging along...gotta love the Samba
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: