Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Moving up to New Hampshire
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

I know it's going to be a really difficult adjustment to make in our lives, but we've decided to give up the lovely traffic of northern Virginia\DC and move to New Hampshire. Razz Been missing the snow since we left MT but New England will also be a new place for us - never spent more than a couple weeks there during vacations.

All our stuff and the bus are up there already, the rest of us arrive at the end of July. Trailered the bus and U-hauled all the bus parts. Figures I'd still get a flat.

How's the VW scene up there? Anything I need to worry about on the inspection\registration front for a 71?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

Miss the snow? Shocked 50+ years of snow in my life and I'm not a huge fan of winter, but new england is home.

Where in NH are you headed? North? South? There are fabulous places to explore and camp in new england. Maine, NH, Cape Cod, mountains, ocean, whatever your preference.

There's a show July 27 in central MA if you're up here by then.

https://the-bug-club.webs.com/volks-fair-2019

Safe trip!
Hobo

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

HoboBus wrote:
Miss the snow? Shocked 50+ years of snow in my life and I'm not a huge fan of winter, but new england is home.

Where in NH are you headed? North? South? There are fabulous places to explore and camp in new england. Maine, NH, Cape Cod, mountains, ocean, whatever your preference.

There's a show July 27 in central MA if you're up here by then.

https://the-bug-club.webs.com/volks-fair-2019

Safe trip!
Hobo

Thanks! We won't be in the area in time for that show, but I'll keep an eye on it for next year.

We're headed to Plymouth - right in the middle of it all it seems. We've heard nothing but good things about NE and NH. As for the snow, I've had it all my life except the VA years. Can't seem to get tired of it, but the longer bus driving season down here ain't bad Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

Plymouth is a nice area.

Registrations here are easy on vehicles older than 20 years. No title required and over 40 I believe inspections are every other year.

See you out there!

FYI, I'm in the Southern/Western part of the state - Antrim. Let me know if you need anything!
fred g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

We welcome you!

I'm leaving NH because I can't handle the traffic here on the coast Shocked It's starting to feel like the beltway.

Fred in New Castle

"Buy the ticket, take the ride." H.S Thompson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

Im north of plymouth up route 93 by mt washington. About 45 mins from you. I should be rolling by the time you get here so hit me up and we can cruise some mtn roads. Im the only one in my area thats active with a bus, so it will be nice to have someone else about. Cheers

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

Thank you all for your replies! I'll be in touch once we get up there. Fred - I hit Boston traffic on the way up with the u-haul - like driving in a dream compared to the beltway. Everyone was so polite, letting me merge and be slow Razz
Turbod16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

we moved up to new hampshire (hopkinton outside of concord) from PA for a couple years cause of work.
when the jobs didn't pan out after 2 years there was nothing keeping us there! We decided NH is Beautiful place to visit...thats it!

from PA to NH alot more westy's, saw at least one a day!

Property Taxes are absurd!
registering vehicles was a percentage of MSRP when new!!
so my f150 and my wifes rogue cost over $300 EACH to register!

new hampshire tries to maintain there live free or die status by hiding alot of things in legal mumbo jumbo!

don't buy into the no title required. no title to register it yes, but ACTUALLY own it?? nope
I went through all that no title required BS with some early vanagons. when i went to move back to PA i wanted to get the titles so i can register in PA..
ME: Hello i would like to apply for the titles of theses vehicles, here is my bill of sales and registrations.
DMV: wheres your titles?
ME: no title required right? vehicles are older than 2000.
DMV: no,we need a title to make a title.
ME; but no title required????( as I had heard from many New Hampshiners)

thus began my education on is there anyway to get a vehicle out of the no title required lie...nope YOU NEED A TITLE.
what it boils down to is in new hampshire you can technically steal someones car and register it as yours and drive it till its reported stolen, but you need a title to get a title that says you ACTUALLY LEGALLY own it. so beware when buying anything!! you'd be surprised how many New Hampshiners even at the clerks office to do not fully understand the tittle law!

they like to boast about the no "proof" of insurance required either..more B.S no one understands.
the gist ..sure you dont need insurance but you better have a court approved paper saying your filthy rich enough to not need ii if you do need it!
guy rear ended my wife, who did not have insurance...why? been living there his whole life and thought that you really didn't need insurance.ugggg!

now im just venting I think! it is a beautiful place to visit! Laughing
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

Why do we move UP North and Down South and OUT West when all these motions are mostly sideways?

Confused
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

I grew up on the MA/NH line and I can tell you that NH is it's own little world compared to the rest of New England. Being from Mass it was always nice to go shopping up there because everything was Tax free and they had cheap booze. And sold Fireworks. It's the only state left without a seat belt law too. The north is beautiful but full of yuppies and hippies, the south is beautiful but kinda trashy and the eastern half near the ocean is a mix of all the above. Great craft beer scene though Wink You'll want to check out John's car corner in Westminster, VT too for your VW parts.

Miss the snow? I can't imagine what that's like. I just moved to Tennessee because I hated New England winters so much and it's absurdly expensive to live in. Rolling Eyes
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

Plymouth is a beautiful area.

We were in Holderness/Meredith for a year. The scenic beauty is nearly unparalleled, but the culture left us hungry. So back to Illinois we came.

But I have to admit, there is not much to compare to silently paddling a canoe across a mirror finish White Oak Pond on an early fall morning listening to the loons with a nice cup of warm coffee.

Enjoy.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

Now you have to listen to the loonies while sipping urban champagne....
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

we've travelled alot in central New Hampshire.
really nice country.
not a fan of anything SE of Concord.

though you may want to check into Transporterfest down in Boston Columbus weekend. there's a great VW campout in Salem, MA where you'll find other's from your area. by area I mean VT/NH/ME..

Rt25 from Plymouth east to Portland is a great drive
the Kanc is beautiful in the fall, well all NH is beautiful in the fall.
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

Turbod16v wrote:
we moved up to new hampshire (hopkinton outside of concord) from PA for a couple years cause of work.
when the jobs didn't pan out after 2 years there was nothing keeping us there! We decided NH is Beautiful place to visit...thats it!

from PA to NH alot more westy's, saw at least one a day!

Property Taxes are a...

Thanks for the insight on titles. Was going to keep or get new one because it just seems easier if we sell or do a future move.

We're also moving for jobs. Wife's job is stable, a bit more risk for mine but if it pans out, it'll be a lot of fun.

Abscate wrote:
Why do we move UP North and Down South and OUT West when all these motions are mostly sideways?

Confused

If you ask my mom, we just move\drive "to" places. Razz

thewalrus wrote:
I grew up on the MA/NH line and I can tell you that NH is it's own little world compared to the rest of New England. Being from Mass it was always nice to go shopping up there because everything was Tax free and they had cheap booze...
Already discovered that!! Am looking forward to the beer too Very Happy not that beer is bad in VA these days. Thanks for the parts place recommendation. I think I'll keep wearing my seat belt.

andrewtf wrote:
Plymouth is a beautiful area.

We were in Holderness/Meredith for a year. The scenic beauty is nearly unparalleled, but the culture left us hungry. So back to Illinois we came.

But I have to admit, there is not much to compare to silently paddling a canoe across a mirror finish White Oak Pond on an early fall morning listening to the loons with a nice cup of warm coffee.

Enjoy.
The lack of culture diversity is one one of the reasons we left MT and it's been on our mind for this move too. Boston will be within reach and not much worse to get to than DC is for us now. But yes, it'll be an adjustment for sure. I've got a antique canoe that I've hardly used in VA. All the lakes are man-made, full of tree stumps, and over crowded. I'm looking forward to some silent paddling!

Abscate wrote:

Uh-oh, yet another samba post with lingo outside my world Shocked I'm hoping I'm translating correctly: "listen to loons (birds) while sipping beer" Razz Sounds delightful!
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
really nice country.

though you may want to check into Transporterfest down in Boston Columbus weekend. there's a great VW campout in Salem, MA where you'll find other's from your area. by area I mean VT/NH/ME..

Thanks! Will definitely check all these out. Got relatives in Syracuse, so we'll be out your way on occasion.
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

Quote:

Translation:
I live in a large college town (or a medium size town with a LOT of college students (i.e. - 'loonies')

The town is Champaign, but I actually live in Urbana (i.e. - urban champagne).

And to top that off, we borded Abscate for a couple of days recently when he was homeless in our town. That is the kind of bus generosity the Samba is know for (except for Skills).

(I've never met Skills. but I'm sure his first notion will be to give me a swift kick in the nuts if he ever sees me face to face. I'm already squeezing my knees together and wincing)

Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

I was #betweendriveways, not homeless.

"swift kick in the nuts" ...I believe the official phrase is "Speedballing the nutsack"
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

cool,

I can offer a bunch of travel hints between Syr & Mt Washington if needed.
though the road ain't flat that's fo-sho.
Winnepasake and Weirs beach is crazy busy in the summer. but lovely.
check out Castle in the Clouds in the fall over in Moultonbourough the other side of Meridith.
the roads tween Plymouth and Rumney are beautiful.
as is Rt25 to Maine. there's a few car cruises in the region, get out with the bus to a few and listen for the locals. or at the least share the unique inspiration of a VW camper.

ewdb92 wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:
really nice country.

Thanks! Will definitely check all these out. Got relatives in Syracuse, so we'll be out your way on occasion.

ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
cool,

I can offer a bunch of travel hints between Syr & Mt Washington if needed.
though the road ain't flat that's fo-sho.
Winnepasake and Weirs beach is crazy busy in the summer. but lovely.
check out Castle in the Clouds in the fall over in Moultonbourough the other side of Meridith.
the roads tween Plymouth and Rumney are beautiful.
as is Rt25 to Maine. there's a few car cruises in the region, get out with the bus to a few and listen for the locals. or at the least share the unique inspiration of a VW camper.

ewdb92 wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:
really nice country.

Great! Thanks. So much to explore, will be fun to finally get up there!

I assume no emissions just safety with vehicle inspections?
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving up to New Hampshire Reply with quote

Ya, they take rust pretty seriously though..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: