Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 rear brakes using 73+ parts
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: 72 rear brakes using 73+ parts Reply with quote

I wonder if the subject is an option? I bought some 72 shoes from JBugs. My e-brake lever will not fit on the swedged in pin on 1 shoe. Even if I made it fit, I am thinking about the next brake job and finding or making parts again. Other vendors selling 72 shoes show pix of their shoes and I see no pins, what gives?

So it looks like VW quit using the spring pins etc.... around 73. good, cause the ones in my kit don't fit.

It also looks like the lever on the 73+ and the horizontal bar are different than my 72 lever etc... But I see they are available.

And I believe lastly the notches and holes in the shoes of the 73+ are different than my 72.

So with that limited knowledge I think I could just buy the 73+ parts and install them.

What do 72 people do? Am I crazy for thinking this?
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 rear brakes using 73+ parts Reply with quote

Yes, switching to mid-'73-79 bus brakes is feasible. Thing is, real 73-79 brake shoes are hard to find.
The vendors are now selling Vanagon shoes (without the auto-adjust hardware) for that application, because
I guess the Chinese decided it was close enough. They will "work", but not like the originals did, because
there will be significantly greater tension on the return spring. I would not under any circumstances use
the Vanagon shoes without hold-down pins, because the shoes will have a decided tendency to flip up at the
outer edges in an attempt to relieve the excess tension. That may cause the shoes to rub against the wheel hub,
and to wear unevenly side-to-side. You may be able to find some old-stock late Bay shoes somewhere, but be
aware that many vendors show a picture of real late Bay shoes, but are actually providing the Vanagon ones.

The 71-79 hold down pins are VW part #211-609-279A, and spec'd at 45 mm long at the clear shank (the part
between the head and the expanded bit at the other end).

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 rear brakes using 73+ parts Reply with quote

thanks for the info. Bus Depot has some shoes they say are made in Italy by a Ferrari supplier.... regardless they are $45 vs some from FCP eruo and CIP1 for less than $30.

I figured the pins might be easy to make, but having the part # and the length is good info too.

The rusty ones I took off are 40mm. THe long ones in my Jbugs hardware kit are 38mm,
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: 72 rear brakes using 73+ parts Reply with quote

A stainless bolt, washer and locknut would easily replace the pin and cup set up if the pins aren’t available. Locknut on outside for easy inspection.
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 72 rear brakes using 73+ parts Reply with quote

Welcome to the world of 1972. The spreader bar affair is one year only. I have so far been able to acquire the proper shoes through my quite together local supplier.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 rear brakes using 73+ parts Reply with quote

In have a complete 72 set up for sale, both sides
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 rear brakes using 73+ parts Reply with quote

here is the link

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2271770
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 rear brakes using 73+ parts Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
here is the link

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2271770

The brake parts in that bin are not for 72. Thanks tho
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 rear brakes using 73+ parts Reply with quote

Hmmm, donor Bus was a 72...maybe updated at some point. I'll adjust the listing. Thanks
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 rear brakes using 73+ parts Reply with quote

73+ Parts arrived to install on the 72, and things went together nicely. It will we quite a while before any actual testing will take place. But installation was a breeze.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: