Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy rear seat storage latch delete modification
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Westy rear seat storage latch delete modification Reply with quote

Just in case some newer Westy owners are interested in this easy modification.

I found it useful to delete the seat storage "unlatch" step.
Lots of people have done this mod.
I searched for it and didn't find it mentioned as a "mod"... so here it is 😉.

You can reassemble it easily if there's something you don't like about the mod.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Opening the seat storage requires that you set your item(s) down to unlatch the seat storage with your other hand.
With the "latch delete" you can be carrying something in one hand, and lift the seat with the other hand.

Notes from the pic:

Sorry I don't have a pic of the knob that was deleted.
Maybe someone else has a pic of the knob (and the parts).
My pic just shows the hole, (which I'd like to plug with a (VW) round head bolt.

Also there are two "catches" on the far left and far right....and the loop in the middle. I don't know if deleting the loop in the middle is good or bad. I noticed (just today) that my driver side outboard catch faces forward to engage a hole in the horizontal seat support. But my passenger side catch faces rearward, and does not engage. I suspect these catches are a safety feature to hold the seat down in an accident.

----> Public Service Announcement: there's a 'HOLDER' to keep the storage area open.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Westy rear seat storage latch (DELETE?) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Opening the seat storage requires that you set your item(s) down to unlatch the seat storage with your other hand.

Oh the horror! Laughing

Does the seat bottom bounce/rattle around on bumpy roads any more than it does with the latch installed?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Westy rear seat storage latch (DELETE?) Reply with quote

Setting items down to unlatch the seat is neither enjoyable, nor painful. And I'm always carrying 2 or 3 items, so that adds up to something like 6 wasted motions.

It's simply wasted motion that can be 'deleted' easily.

There are many wasted motions that I enjoy. Grinding my coffee by hand while the water is heating, for example.

I don't notice any noise but it's been 15 years. I "imagine" that if the latch were tight enough to prevent rattling, that to unlatch it would require two motions:
Weighting the seat with one hand while un-latching with the other.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Westy rear seat storage latch delete modification Reply with quote

As I keep heavy items in the storage I prefer to have the locking mechanism to keep them in there in case there is an unplanned stop on the while driving on the highways.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Westy rear seat storage latch delete modification Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
As I keep heavy items in the storage I prefer to have the locking mechanism to keep them in there in case there is an unplanned stop on the while driving on the highways.

Ditto- that latch helps keep me from being hit by flying stuff in an accident.
Some people call him Maurice...
snwbrdr435
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Westy rear seat storage latch delete modification Reply with quote

You can just take the loop off and leave everything else. Did it for years but just recently reinstalled it because I'd like the seat to stay shut in case of an accident/ sliding off the road...
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Westy rear seat storage latch delete modification Reply with quote

This reminds me, I've been meaning to create a lever to open that latch by pushing rather than pulling,
also putting the end of the lever closer to the slider door for easier operation while standing outside
the van...maybe this'll inspire me to actually do the install & post it up here...???

Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Westy rear seat storage latch delete modification Reply with quote

as the owner of a once rolled over camper,
What do you keep under your bench? that's the question.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Westy rear seat storage latch delete modification Reply with quote

As same, agree with your wonder.

We have a large house battery secured with two seat belts.

Sodo, does this help?

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Westy rear seat storage latch delete modification Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
as the owner of a once rolled over camper,
What do you keep under your bench? that's the question.

2 ea. 6 volt house batteries for one,( secured down so they do not move).
Some tools.
Not everything would need to come flying out...it's just that one thing that would hit you upside your head to completely ruin your whole day.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rear seat storage latch delete modification Reply with quote

Yes ruined days.vs.completely ruined days.

And interspersed among those can be “days enjoyed”.
Some of the days I enjoy are those where I put in the time, effort, images etc post a suggestion how someone might enjoy their Vanagon. Always hoping the benefits outweigh the problems. You can’t have it all, gotta look at all the angles.

Would be nice if someone who uses the underseat often weighs in, but it seems like my underseat usage ain’t the norm. My brother would agree with me, he took his knob off first and berated me for my wasted motions (15years ago) in a brotherly jousting way.

Securing your batteries wherever they are - is important for fire-safety.

Those who have filled the underseat storage with “seldom-removed items” won’t realize any benefit. One could suggest that the latch has impeded access just enough that the underseat storage never got “quick-access status” despite being right next to the celebrated “Vanagon Slider Door”.

This is basically for those who get in & out of the rear seat storage often.

I keep my small bag of hand tools in there; hatchet, folding saw, ropes, straps, tarps, water hose, ratchet set, spare fuel pump, compressor. It stratifies. Quick access stuff ontop, longer term storage is deeper. Lug wrench & jack are at the bottom. By far, the most times its opened is for the Vanagon hand tools bag and ratchet set.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rear seat storage latch delete modification Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
This reminds me, I've been meaning to create a lever to open that latch by pushing rather than pulling,
also putting the end of the lever closer to the slider door for easier operation

Yes Dave its a perfect aftermarket product.
I think it could remain in the middle, its still easy access.

My preference would be a latch that rotates 90 degrees, But remaining in the position that you left it. That way you can leave it unlocked when parked, latching it prior to your head-on collision or rollover. Shocked

Something like this.
It’s feasible that it could be designed to install without drilling a single hole in your van...... complying with stringent VSRs.
(Vanagon Stewardship Requirements) Wink

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rear seat storage latch delete modification Reply with quote

I'm less concerned with extra motion (although I appreciate the Lean concern for waste) as I am with alleviating the PITA when the latch gets jammed and requires fiddling to release.

Who has installed an easy-to-release-latch-with-gas-springs to make lifting the seat a one-finger action? Draw latch, gas springs...voila!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rear seat storage latch delete modification Reply with quote

The left side shows an arrow to the middle pointing to a pin with (holder?).
Don't know what that is, or how it could be a catch.

Bottom left is an arm which levers up under the top left arrow with question marks, although on my (1985) it isn't curved like that.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rear seat storage latch delete modification Reply with quote

Could be funny when the seat folds down by itself riding on a bumpstop or hitting a pothole
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Westy rear seat storage latch delete modification Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

Also there are two "catches" on the far left and far right....and the loop in the middle. I don't know if deleting the loop in the middle is good or bad. I noticed (just today) that my driver side outboard catch faces forward to engage a hole in the horizontal seat support. But my passenger side catch faces rearward, and does not engage. I suspect these catches are a safety feature to hold the seat down in an accident.

My '87 came with the delete option already in effect, so I have never had to deal with the knob. Both my left and right catches have the hook facing forward and they seem to anchor the seat well enough.

I also installed an additional stop screw positioned so the prop holds the seat at a steeper angle for better access.

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Westy rear seat storage latch delete modification Reply with quote

personally i've been lusting at transforming the whole storage area to 1 or 2 large drawers/bins.

they had a front 'door' in the early 80-81 campers that I used for stowing my cookstove (non-westy kitchen) that way we don't have to undo the bed just to get the morning breakfast going.

alot more variation to the rear storage in this thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=388768
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Westy rear seat storage latch delete modification Reply with quote

levi wrote:
The left side shows an arrow to the middle pointing to a pin with (holder?).
Don't know what that is, or how it could be a catch.

Bottom left is an arm which levers up under the top left arrow with question marks, although on my (1985) it isn't curved like that.

The arm that levers up should be placed under the pin (middle arrow on left) which then holds the seat at its maximum tilt.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Westy rear seat storage latch delete modification Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Sodo wrote:

I noticed (just today) that my driver side outboard catch faces forward to engage a hole in the horizontal seat support. But my passenger side catch faces rearward, and does not engage. I suspect these catches are a safety feature to hold the seat down in an accident.

My '87 came with the delete option already in effect, so I have never had to deal with the knob.
Both my left and right catches have the hook facing forward and they seem to anchor the seat well enough.

Yes there is a hole on each side of the horizontal support (on my 1990) that would engage those catches. Where you first pus the lower seat rearward a little then lift. I wonder if that was the original plan by Westfalia, and the center latch was added by US Dept of Transportation requirement?

What if 20 years ago there was a "latch delete" post on vanagon.gerry or some other list ----- that's probably where my brother heard about it.

campism wrote:
I also installed an additional stop screw positioned so the prop holds the seat at a steeper angle for better access.

Your "additional stop screw" is above the Westy screw?
Maybe your van has thicker cushions thus you can't reach the Westy stop??

Sodo wrote:
----> Public Service Announcement: there's a 'HOLDER' to keep the storage area open.

Here's how it looks on the 1990 Westy.

fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rear seat storage latch delete modification Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

Here's how it looks on the 1990 Westy.

And on an '84. Smile Though the older vans don't have those extra catches at the outer front edges.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: