Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brakes are locking please help!
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parkerm463
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Brakes are locking please help! Reply with quote

So yesterday my handbrake got stuck, eventually I got it loose, but for the first two minutes after driving it my brakes were clicking and then today I went to go to school and i came to a stop. When I went to drive the right side brake locked, I had to put the car in reverse a dj drive and it sounded like the clicking and knocking sound was back. I ordered new drums and shoes and ebrake and ebrake line. What is the issue the brakes need to be changed anyways.
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Brakes are locking please help! Reply with quote

You got to open them up and see what’s going on.

If it’s your e-brake that’s sticking then I would look at the cables to see if they are frayed or getting stuck and see if the hardware in the drum getting hung up.

If the brakes are locking up after use it could be your soft flex lines are collapsing and not allowing fluid to return after you release the brake pedal.
205T (Bill)
Parkerm463
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Brakes are locking please help! Reply with quote

How do I check if it is the lines collapsing?
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Brakes are locking please help! Reply with quote

Well, how old are the lines? If they're original, probably time for another set. Sounds like something came apart. Might be the arm on the brake shoe that the E-brake cable pulls on to actuate the brakes that broke. Until you get the drum off and have a look at the internals of your brake components, your just guessing. Money well spent updating your brake components so you can stop you know, whenever you want to.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Brakes are locking please help! Reply with quote

Parkerm463 wrote:
How do I check if it is the lines collapsing?

It’s easier with the car on stands. Press the brakes down all the way a few times, release, and then see if any of the wheels do not freely spin.
205T (Bill)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: