Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aftermarket Deck, cigarette lighter and map light not working.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jschwerdtfeger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Aftermarket Deck, cigarette lighter and map light not working. Reply with quote

Hey All,

I have an '85 Westfalia and my aftermarket deck (which is a PITA to remove) 12v socket and map-light are not working. Since they don't share a common fuse I'm a bit perplexed. Perhaps they all share a common ground on the tree? Thoughts?
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Deck, cigarette lighter and map light not working. Reply with quote

Hi,

Did you check the fuses just to make sure? Worth a shot...
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Deck, cigarette lighter and map light not working. Reply with quote

Ground 16 is common per the wiring diagram.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Deck, cigarette lighter and map light not working. Reply with quote

Fuse 8 would be worth a look.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not just a visual check but with a voltmeter.
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Deck, cigarette lighter and map light not working. Reply with quote

Check the grounds. The ground wire from my map light had been cut. In dash, the light worked by grounding to the metal dash. When removed, testing the USB outlet I put in its place it wouldn’t work. As for the stereo, aftermarket installation seems different than stock, so who knows what was done. Also check fuses 8 and 9.
jschwerdtfeger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Deck, cigarette lighter and map light not working. Reply with quote

Fuses are all good, just replaced them all with a GW kit. I'll check the ground(s) this evening.
jschwerdtfeger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Deck, cigarette lighter and map light not working. Reply with quote

Ended up running a new (+) for all these, problem solved. The dash wiring is a rat's nest (EJ22 conversion and multiple aftermarket decks, etc). One project down, ninety-nine to go...
eeebee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Deck, cigarette lighter and map light not working. Reply with quote

Isn't the dash lighting connected to each? Probably jumps through the radio plug.

1987 Vanagon Wolfsburg Special Edition
GoWesty 2.3

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: