Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bostig - Dipstick tip broke off
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
burningman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Bostig - Dipstick tip broke off Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm on a long trip from Seattle to LA currently in Vegas, the good news my Bostig performed flawslessly all the way up and out of death valley, not with out any white-knuckling it driving up and out, no overheating thankfully.

Bad news, as I'm checking the oil today heading to LA I realized the tip of the dipstick has broken off. Its probably an inch worth? The top full mark on the stick is still present.

It definitely was not that way when I left. I don't know if it just happened as I was pulling it out or somewhere along the road. What's the likelihood that piece gets picked up and damages the engine or do you think it'll just sit @ the bottom of the oil pan?

My first step is to get it to an oil change and hopefully it'll come out but hoping I could get some feedback on that. Obviously I'm nowhere in which I can pull the pan.

Thanks!
Chris
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig - Dipstick tip broke off Reply with quote

burningman wrote:
. What's the likelihood that piece gets picked up and damages the engine or do you think it'll just sit @ the bottom of the oil pan?
No idea so I won't comment
burningman wrote:
My first step is to get it to an oil change and hopefully it'll come out but hoping I could get some feedback on that. Obviously I'm nowhere in which I can pull the pan.
s

Looking at images on line, that looks like a simple job. Any garage should be able to handle that. If the dip stick comes out with the oil, then, new filter and oil and you are done. If not, pan and new gasket and hopefully they find it then.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig - Dipstick tip broke off Reply with quote

Could you pick up a strong magnet and slide it along the pan to 'coax' the broken piece to the oil drain hole? That's what I would attempt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagon_dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig - Dipstick tip broke off Reply with quote

This is a fairly well documented "issue" and the conclusion always point to it not being a big deal. It should sit at the bottom of the oil pan and the pickup screen should prevent it from being sucked up into the oil pump.

I have read a success story or two from users who used a magnet to retrieve the broken bit, so maybe give that a go. Removing the oil pan is certainly an option, and maybe a good one if you have the stock oil pan. If you have the Bostig HCOP, and it doesn't leak, I would just leave it.

Just my two cents. Good luck!
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig - Dipstick tip broke off Reply with quote

Ignore it, pickup screen will prevent any damage.

Next oil change just remove the access panel, the broken off piece will be there.

If it really keeps you awake at night, buy some $1 magnets at Harbor Freight and stick them to the HCOP.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig - Dipstick tip broke off Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry to much about it, just like the others aid the screen will catch it. I would get a long magnet on a stick
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rl...p;oe=UTF-8
and stick it into the drain plug to try to get it.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig - Dipstick tip broke off Reply with quote

As others have said, don't worry about it.

Also, do not replace your dipstick with another one of the same length--just keep the shorty. Use a Dremel and grind off the rough ends to make a rounded tip. The crosshatching that remains on the dipstick is really all you need to check the oil level.

I opened my oil pan for the first time in four years this week and the old tip of the dipstick was still in there.

kourt
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig - Dipstick tip broke off Reply with quote

I have broken the tip off my dipstick twice. Both times the tip just stayed on the bottom till next time I changed oil. Once it came out the drain hole and the other I had to remove the access plate.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig - Dipstick tip broke off Reply with quote

Chalk me up as one more Bostig driver with part of a dipstick in my sump. This is probably the part with the highest failure rate on a zetec. It seems the dipstick should be a wire (instead of flat) to allow it to flex around the curves in the tube.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: