Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

Hey all,

Last week I swapped out my plugs and points and the thing ran like I had put a turbo charger in. I was at a light yesterday and I started getting some sputters, the light turns green and I am literally dancing with the gas pedal like it was a cold start, it was struggling to run, then died, which it wasnt (cold start). I had to push it off the road and get towed home.

What would make it act like it was out of gas? The carbs "seem fine" I have fuel, unless my gauge is lying after 6 years. It turns over, etc. I'll double check to see if I am getting spark. I replaced the condenser not that long back.

Thanks as always!
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

When you installed the new points, did you put lube on the shaft/nub? I had the nub break off on a brand new set, even WITH the lube.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

First thing I would do is pull the fuel line off at the carb and have someone crank it for just a second and see if gas shoots out. Sounds a lot like a fuel issue.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I did forget to lube the shaft when I changed the points, however, upon inspecting it looks like it's ok.

Odd thing, now I have power and nothing turns over, not even the slightest bit. Maybe thinking alternator or coil is shot? All other electrical is fine, turned over after it died yesterday but wouldnt start , now ... no turning over...

Seems like a fair amount of data to get a better idea.... any thoughts?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

electronictofu wrote:

Odd thing, now I have power and nothing turns over, not even the slightest bit. Maybe thinking alternator or coil is shot? All other electrical is fine, turned over after it died yesterday but wouldnt start , now ... no turning over...

A bad coil is not going to keep the starter from turning the crankshaft/FW.

You need to take apart connections between the starter and battery for a good cleaning and dielectric greasing. Check battery for how much voltage it has.
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

I dont think it's the battery, yesterday when it died, it was cranking over with full force until I flooded it. Let it sat, cranked over fine and still no start...

I should still check my volts on the battery, but it seems like its something else based on yesterday.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

electronictofu wrote:
I dont think it's the battery, yesterday when it died, it was cranking over with full force until I flooded it. Let it sat, cranked over fine and still no start...

I should still check my volts on the battery, but it seems like its something else based on yesterday.

A bad connection between the battery, starter, and alt/gen can cause a now it is a problem, now it is not a problem, in short succession. Just because the starter turns over full force, does not mean that the coil is getting full voltage at the same time. So best to start out checking voltage at the battery and cleaning/greasing/tightening connections.

Otherwise you will just have to replace everything, wasting a lot of time and $$.
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

For sure!
My battery tested at 12.6 volts, all terminals clean.

I guess I'll move onto checking the starter, and coil? Im not sure what setting to put my Multimeter on to test the coil, I replaced the distributor condenser last year this time, maybe that went doodoo on me again, it was a similar situation before.

Lights, stereo, battery, all fine, no blown fuses, grounds are clean, terminals all look clean so far. Odd.... Im not sure what's up .
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

It kinda sounds like a bad ground. One of the biggest culprit here would be the ground cable that jumps around the front transmission mount. Because its under the bus it can be neglected neglected with ease. Good luck Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

It does, I agree. I had a ground issue a while back too. I tested my coil, it's at 4.7ohm, and I have power at the key/ IGN switch, although the male terminals are super wobbly, that may need addressing too. I'll check my grounds, all other stuff is mostly checking out good.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

Have you checked electrically and visually that your points are correct? Also there is a fine braided wire that goes from the points plate to the condenser that has to be intact.
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

Closed point gap would be my first guess.

Second is a bad condenser.

Third is both failed.

Swap the old set back in and see what happens.
SBS #00
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

Loose terminals on switch ,fuze junction,coil and any wire ends male or female are things that I had to address on my bus. Those nasty male wobble ends on fuze junction or ignition switch can be fixed. Use a drop of vinegar on the rivet that secures the male lug to clean it off . You can use a tooth brush to scrub a bit, rinse and dry off. Then a dab of solder with a suitable soldering gun will do the trick.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

When the engine stops, just go to the Idiot book and turn to "VW doesn't run"
it lists a basic step by step series of things to check.

For example, my bug stopped going. The engine would turns round with the key turned to start, but the engine did not fire.

I turned the ignition on, and with a test light had power to the coil. Smile Good.
Then I popped the dist cap, moved the points with a screw driver, saw a spark jump there. So I figured it was probably not a spark issue.

I took the fuel line off the carb, and pointed it out of the engine compartment. Turned the engine round some more. No fuel came out of the the line. Made sure there was fuel in the tank. Very Happy Added some fuel down the carb. Turned key ... now engine started, but after the small amount I had dripped in the carb was used up, it shut down.

I replaced the fuel pump. Connected fuel lines. Then it started when asked to.

For your issue, I would start by checking battery connections, ground, ground strap. Clean the connections, use dielectric grease.
western auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

vapor lock..... has been happening very frequently on many different classic cars I own due to terrible gasoline blends
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I feel like its something mentioned above, ground, condenser, or points.

My condenser went out last year while driving, and I replaced it. But when it went out, it would still turn over. My bus went from dying the other day, still turning over and not firing, to now, not turning over one bit. Its feels like a bad ground, fuse, or something in the distributor .

Nothing loose so far, and Ive cleaned all terminals, and tested my battery and coil, my guess is it's a wire or ground Ive yet to find or the dist.

I just think its odd how it died, still turned over but didnt start, now wont turn over at all.

Would a bad condenser still enable the engine to turn over? It seemed to before when I had this issue.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

electronictofu wrote:

Would a bad condenser still enable the engine to turn over? It seemed to before when I had this issue.

Anything failed in the ignition system would have no affect on the starter turning over the engine.
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

Well dang.
I have no idea what to check next.
jules9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

electronictofu wrote:
Well dang.
I have no idea what to check next.

Is the starter jammed against the flywheel.. i once had the starter not release after cranking my engine for a while. Also any in line fuses that could of blown causing no spark to the points
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Died at a stop light , ideas on the cause? Reply with quote

Can you turn the engine over by hand.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: