Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil pressure relief spring length-dual port case
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Oil pressure relief spring length-dual port case Reply with quote

So I have 2 sets of stock springs here that measure different lengths and I’m trying to use the correct length set.
The Bentley says they should be 44.1 and 20.2mm loaded.
My measurements are:

How do I measure them “loaded”??? Does anyone have the “unloaded” length measurements!!?
And-when Installing the oil pickup tube shouldn’t the tubes hole line up with the middle of the strained hole in the case? Ive tapped the pickup tube in and goes in pretty deep.
Picture below:

And while I’m at it-my cam bearings are different sizes. .893 and .778mm
Do the larger ones go on the flywheel side (front)?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure relief spring length-dual port case Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure relief spring length-dual port case Reply with quote

it means you apply that amount of pressure to them and measure them at that time.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure relief spring length-dual port case Reply with quote

I have the chart but how do I measure it? Digital scale I guess?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure relief spring length-dual port case Reply with quote

Yes, that is the big question. I've never actually done it since I was, at the time I was wanting to do, suitably equipped. but over the years have seen hanging weight measurerers, and yes, there are digital ones, the hard thing is to rig a system to measure "applied force" to the spring. I have a mechanical mailing scale plus a fairly decent digital scale and I think either would work, you would just need to place the spring on the scale and note or zero the center, and apply the specified weight and then get out the old metal ruler and measure.

I will add that I think very few original springs fail...

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure relief spring length-dual port case Reply with quote

Take a piece of 1/4"-20 all thread about a foot long, thread a nut on one end, drop a washer on then the spring then another washer, take the assembly and put the all thread through a hole on say a drill press table or work bench close to the edge, take a weight what ever # you need and figure out a way to hang it from the all thread and measure the compressed height. a good weight would be a jar with a metal lid, fill the jar with lead shot or nuts and bolts what ever, drill a hole in the lid for the all thread.
Does that make since, it does to me but I haven't been the same since my Mother dropped me on my head when I was a kid.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure relief spring length-dual port case Reply with quote

I selected a few good looking used ones and measured them

The OD of all the springs seems the same, .590-.610

The long spring(for normal "no groove" plunger)
Free length 3.0-3.1"
Wire .064-.064"
Coils 16.5

Short spring
Free length 1.210"
Wire .055-.056"
coils 6.75

I THOUGHT I had a good spring for the groove plunger, but the wire size measured inconsistent?? so, I will chuck that one
I have some aftermarket springs, they are about the same wire size and free length, but number of coils is different, like, the little spring has 8 3/4 turns......that's probably not wise.
I know where there is a stash of more springs I could nab. Meaning to do this for awhile ONCE and for all.

keyword oil relief spring spec specification
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure relief spring length-dual port case Reply with quote

Thanks again!
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure relief spring length-dual port case Reply with quote

If you need them, CB sells a new stock replacement spring and plunger set and it’s not of the booster spring and plunger variety.
My relief spring was weak.
I used a digital scale, some flat bar and wooden dowels. I cut the dowels to length and put them inside the springs, put the springs on the scale and compressed with the flat bar. There are tools for this but the ones I found were more than $300.00.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure relief spring length-dual port case Reply with quote

I think I actually bought them but people advised me to keep the stockers. Let me dig them out and compare. They had a regular set and a super secret high performance cb set that only aliens can manufacture.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure relief spring length-dual port case Reply with quote

Put a scale on drill press, squeeze to size, note weight on scale. I’d be more concerned on that reading and not free length. Different wire and coil can give same poundage. They live at the compressed length.

Talking width of cam bearings? Thinnest by flywheel.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure relief spring length-dual port case Reply with quote

found more springs, added measurements for med spring

The OD of all the springs seems the same, .590-.610

The long spring(for normal "no groove" plunger)
Free length 3.0-3.1"
Wire .062-.064"
Coils 16.5

Short spring
Free length 1.210"
Wire .055-.056"
coils 6.75

medium spring for grooved plunger
free length 2.460-2.480
wire.062-.064
coils 14-14.5
simpsoncan2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure relief spring length-dual port case Reply with quote

Would anyone know the loading tension and length specifications for a type 3 single relief spring (engine is late 1968 fuel injected type 3 with single relief, U0121773)?

I have measured what I have and it matches the unloaded spring dimensions provided by modok for the grooved plunger but want to verify the loaded specifications. As of right now, it does not meet the specifications previously provided by chrisflstf. I am continuing to do research and will update my post if I find an answer elsewhere.

medium spring for grooved plunger
free length 2.460-2.480
wire.062-.064
coils 14-14.5

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure relief spring length-dual port case Reply with quote

Some manuals do say
"Spring–Loaded Length 23.6 mm producing a spring pressure at this height of 17.1 lbs (7.75 kg)"

That loaded length does NOT make sense
But perhaps if you measure and find out the actual installed height in the engine.... it will be around 17lbs at that height?
simpsoncan2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure relief spring length-dual port case Reply with quote

Update:

1968-1969 type 3 case with single Pressure Relief Spring:

Loaded length - 43.20mm (1-11/16");
Loaded tension - 2.5-4.2 kg (5.5-9.25 lb).

1970-1973 type 3 cases have dual valves and share the same specifications as type 1 cases.

This info is in chrisflstf's table in previous posts but I confirmed it is the same for type 3 cases.

As I understand it, the 1968-1969 type 3 single relief cases use the grooved plunger. Mine has it and it has a VW stamp on the face of it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: