Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help getting the bloody vent window seal in my door frame
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Filipke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Help getting the bloody vent window seal in my door frame Reply with quote

They just don't line up. Don't think they Will enterfear the working of the sliding window. If so i Will Cut out the spares.

Another question

The square hole is sealed of by the window seal. Has this square hole a purpose? Or is it only to drain water if there is any underneed the seal...

The square hole is also in the door...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thx
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Help getting the bloody vent window seal in my door frame Reply with quote

There should be a hole in the felt track to drain water that collects there.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Filipke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Help getting the bloody vent window seal in my door frame Reply with quote

Ok will make the hole open...

Another one the divider bar doesn't fit between the seal without stretching it open. If want to get the bottom of the divider bar in the hole of the seal. If i stretche tje seal open then it can get low enough but the my sliding window is gonna have problems to get passed That section. Can't i work with 2 clips That is normally only used to use at the top of the frame?

So can i use this on top and bottom? Or What am i missing again...
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Help getting the bloody vent window seal in my door frame Reply with quote

I "nearly" finished 1 window yesterday and had to sacrifice the lower channel flat head counter sunk slotted screws of which WW doesn't have. I've reached out to Bustoration and West Coast Metrics to see if they carry them. You'll see I have some long bolts as a temporary replacement to hold the glass in place and a nylon tie to hole the vent window in place until I make al my adjustments and put a rivet in. Some tweaking needed I may also remove and reinstall the outer frame weatherstrip if I can't retract the stretch. I also forgot to add the division bar weatherstrip seal still sitting in the box of door seal kit from Ronnie. It's a good thing I just did a temporary fit before installing in the door.

My question is do I trim the vent window seal so the latch passes through? I'm very glad I have 2 other door window sets to learn from and use on my bus as I finish these up. Labor of love.

Do I trim this seal to pass the latch through or more adjustment on the vent wing hardware bolt at the bottom?

Need these screws:

This sawhorse with wood worked great as I just don't have room for that B&D Workmate right now. Not to mention unavailable in my local stores.

Super glad I have 2 spare windows to drive her now till I'm done.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Help getting the bloody vent window seal in my door frame Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:

Need these screws:

It's been a couple years but I bought these at my local Ace hardware store.
I can't remember if they were flathead or phillips but they are hidden so no one will know. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Help getting the bloody vent window seal in my door frame Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
You'll see I have...a nylon tie to hole the vent window in place until I make al my adjustments and put a rivet in.

LAGrunthaner wrote:
My question is do I trim the vent window seal so the latch passes through?

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Do I trim this seal to pass the latch through or more adjustment on the vent wing hardware bolt at the bottom?

Until you have the rivet in it will be weird alignment.
Your bottom of your wing channel looks bent down in that photo.
You shouldn't have to trim the rubber.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Help getting the bloody vent window seal in my door frame Reply with quote

Filipke wrote:
Can't i work with 2 clips That is normally only used to use at the top of the frame?...Or What am i missing again...

The notched lock ell metal piece holds the bottom in against the rear stationary glass. In your felt photo you have the ell metal pieces all facing backwards.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Help getting the bloody vent window seal in my door frame Reply with quote

BarryL, do you think this area is bent? It is just like the other 5 frames I have. So no rubber trimming needed. I'll put a bold in the top end where the rivet goes then I'll adjust the lower nut where the thick spring is until I can get the vent to latch. Once I have it latched I'll install the rivet. This part of the project has taken a bit longer than expected.

BarryL wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:
You'll see I have...a nylon tie to hole the vent window in place until I make al my adjustments and put a rivet in.

LAGrunthaner wrote:
My question is do I trim the vent window seal so the latch passes through?

LAGrunthaner wrote:

Until you have the rivet in it will be weird alignment.
Your bottom of your wing channel looks bent down in that photo.
You shouldn't have to trim the rubber.

I was going to see what my local hardware store had today, thanks Everett, I'll bring one of my old empty frames with me.

EverettB wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

Need these screws:

It's been a couple years but I bought these at my local Ace hardware store.
I can't remember if they were flathead or phillips but they are hidden so no one will know. Smile

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Help getting the bloody vent window seal in my door frame Reply with quote

Hi Linda,

I clicked on this topic because I was curious how installing front vent seals could take four pages.
I now see the difficulty, and hope that the advice I am about to give you is taken in the best way possible and doesn't offend you.
Recently, I installed a full set of Wolfsburg West rubber and felt channels, and did both sides in about 2 hours, so I can speak with experience.
One thing I've noticed in your photos is the thickness of the paint, and I believe that is your biggest barrier to success.
The rubber is designed to fit neatly in small channels, and I fear that some of your channels may be full of paint.

For example, on page one of this thread, your photo shows paint drips along the edge that the rubber should of be seated on. If this edge is not clean, the rubber will not seal and you will experience leaks.

In a more recent photo, you can see the heavy coat of paint covering the chrome latch plate. It doesn't seem like it should be much trouble, but the rubber is a tight fit on chrome, and adding the thickness of one or two layers of paint could make all the difference in the world as far as seating the rubber properly.

If you still have difficulties in installing the new rubber, perhaps it is time to pull the rubber off and take a closer look at the parts you are trying to install it on.

Again, I hope this is helpful and does not cause more frustration with your project.

Keep up the good work and good luck with your restoration.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Help getting the bloody vent window seal in my door frame Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
BarryL, do you think this area is bent?

LAGrunthaner wrote:

This pic ^^^^^^ shows the lower channel appears to be bent down.

LAGrunthaner wrote:
or more adjustment on the vent wing hardware bolt at the bottom?

I've never been aware of any adjustment there.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Help getting the bloody vent window seal in my door frame Reply with quote

I figured it out the vent seal was not fully in on the low side, I removed it and back to hell on the seal install LOL.

BarryL wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:
BarryL, do you think this area is bent?

LAGrunthaner wrote:

This pic ^^^^^^ shows the lower channel appears to be bent down.

LAGrunthaner wrote:
or more adjustment on the vent wing hardware bolt at the bottom?

I've never been aware of any adjustment there.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Filipke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Help getting the bloody vent window seal in my door frame Reply with quote

How did you got the vent window in the vent frame?
Omg This is more worse then the vent window seal.
Bloody hell
Fill the frame with black glue? There are no plug and play seals for This area?
Got a really thik And stiff one from the shop just knok it in with a rubber hamer but it didnt work out...
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Help getting the bloody vent window seal in my door frame Reply with quote

Filipke I used a screwdriver in the end and lots of clamps to hold it in place as I worked around the frame. I also used a strap which a twisted with another screwdriver.

I finally reseated both vent seals but still unable to close the vent window all the way closed such that it latches. Tips please Crying or Very sad

Filipke wrote:
Bloody hell
Got a really thik And stiff one from the shop just knok it in with a rubber hamer but it didnt work out...

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Help getting the bloody vent window seal in my door frame Reply with quote

Filipke wrote:
Bloody hell

Maybe try these seals, they look way better than the other ones out there. Greg at Vintage Warehouse sells them.

LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Help getting the bloody vent window seal in my door frame Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas,
I didn't realize that the glass to frame was what he meant till now. I believe if he made a jig it would be easier. For me I just can close the window to get it close enough to latch. I have another set in the bus with broken latches but close completely. I'm going to swap out the vent windows and this way I can prove if the post is bent. I don't believe the post is bent for me it seems as though the seal is too thick. I wonder if I have the seals in backwards Shocked
My rebuilt frame seal:

Spare door frame and glass:

ronjonlasvegas wrote:
Filipke wrote:
Bloody hell

Maybe try these seals, they look way better than the other ones out there. Greg at Vintage Warehouse sells them.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Filipke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Help getting the bloody vent window seal in my door frame Reply with quote

Thx ronjonlasvegas did fiend those seals And they really fit better!
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Help getting the bloody vent window seal in my door frame Reply with quote

I reinstalled the vent seals again and let them sit in the hot sun all day and one barely closes as the other won't reach the catch (note the painter painted over the chrome catch). When I did get the latch close to closing it appears there is a gap at the vertical seal called "VENT WINDOW FLAP SEAL" via WW site.

I recall reading someone having trouble closing the vent window after installing the seal and had a solution.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Help getting the bloody vent window seal in my door frame Reply with quote

The lower bottom channel of your wings look bent down. Is there a gap between the glass and bottom channel looking endwise at it (them)?
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Help getting the bloody vent window seal in my door frame Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
The lower bottom channel of your wings look bent down. Is there a gap between the glass and bottom channel looking endwise at it (them)?

These are the vent windows.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Help getting the bloody vent window seal in my door frame Reply with quote

Same vent window on another window frame. It latches fine therefore I think the seal on the restored frame is not seating because there is no room in the channel between the metal tab and the frame to push it through. Tips always appreciated.

This is the area I need to get the seal seated properly. Maybe I should pull the seal at the bottom and trim it a bit?

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: