Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

About to purchase seals and interior kit from JBugs
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: About to purchase seals and interior kit from JBugs Reply with quote

I have looked around Samba and found a lot of opinions but wanted to throw this out there before pulling the trigger on a big purchase of seals and upholstery kit for our 1974 KG Coupe. I’m looking at JBugs. Like I mentioned above there are definitely opinions good and bad about that site and its products, but I have seen more good than bad and don’t see any reason I can’t work with whatever challenges may come.

But it’s a lot of money. At the risk of opening up a can of worms, any reason I should hesitate?

Thanks,
Matt
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: About to purchase seals and interior kit from JBugs Reply with quote

Well, it sounds like you've done some research and have a little background.

Jbugs upholstery is probably sourced from TMI. Quality of their stuff is OK and consistent with their prices. There are several manufacturers for rubber parts...don't know where Jbugs is getting theirs.

Sewfine is generally regarded to have some of the best upholstery kits available for the price and West Coast Metric supplies high-quality rubber seals and weatherstripping. CIP1 also sells German seals and rubber items...and they're running a 20%-30%-off sale right now.
West Coast Classic Restoration probably has the very best upholstery available...and their prices reflect this level of quality.

Prices vary with quality and there are several options. Your budget will dictate which way to go.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: About to purchase seals and interior kit from JBugs Reply with quote

Hey Matt, to be honest I have bought multiple parts, seals, rubber from JBugs, CIP1, and Airhead, mostly because one or the other offered a better price. All parts have been fine, and their customer service/sales were all very helpful even if they screwed up or I ordered something wrong. Bought a turn signal switch from Airhead, they sent the wrong one, called them and they sent the correct one no questions asked when I sent them a pic confirming the wrong year. When wiring it up, called them again to confirm the wire connections since it didn't come with a schematic, and they clarified everything. Bought a gas door release from CIP1, after connecting the pull handle, the little piece at the end of the cable pulled off, along with the handle and spring. Emailed them a pic and called them. They put another one in my basket and when I ordered more parts, they sent a new one without charge or question. Bought lots of rubber and wiring loom from JBugs, and when I had a problem or questions on anything, gave them a call and they immediately solved the problem or fixed the mistake. Various rubber pieces I bought from the different vendors actually came in WCM Packaging, so I imagine they supply to most of the vendors listed.

That's been my experience, not sure if I answered your question, but all of these suppliers seem to be very customer focused in my situation and I have been happy with all, other than having to wait for a replacement part, but I just moved on to something else.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: About to purchase seals and interior kit from JBugs Reply with quote

I will buy from Airheads/KGPR if they have what I need. I will not buy parts from JBugs online any more. I have had trouble twice with shipping and communication from them and I just can't face dealing with that again. They do not tell you if they are holding shipping waiting for a back order. I would probably pop in if they were close by - but that's it.
FRNKNSTNGHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: About to purchase seals and interior kit from JBugs Reply with quote

I purchased basically my entire interior and rubber seals from jbugs. They use TMI for interiors. West Coast Metric for Seals. On the interior, I purchased TMI Deluxe carpet kit that included the rubber grommets. They don't list it on their site or catalog for some reason, but if you get the part number off the TMI website and contact them directly, they can get for you.

Overall I have not had any issues with JBugs.
dlud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: About to purchase seals and interior kit from JBugs Reply with quote

I purchased a complete set of seals for my Ghia. The seals were fine. The only issue I had with them is that when you order the seals they don't tell you which ones are in stock and which are back-ordered. So, a few of the seals came dribbling in over several months. A couple never arrived and they couldn't tell me when they would be in. They did refund for that portion of the order and I obtained the missing seals elsewhere. Were I to do it again I would call and ask them if they have all the seals in stock.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: About to purchase seals and interior kit from JBugs Reply with quote

FRNKNSTNGHIA wrote:
I purchased TMI Deluxe carpet kit that included the rubber grommets. They don't list it on their site or catalog for some reason, but if you get the part number off the TMI website and contact them directly, they can get for you.

You can find it on their site if you do a search for "ghia premium carpet kit", but it doesn't come up in the normal interiors section. What did you think of the quality and fit of the kit? Any pics of it installed?
I've been trying to find real life pics of that kit to compare/contrast with sewfine for the price.

Also back on topic. I've bought rubber seals and various other parts from jbugs. Their seals are from West Coast Metric. Never had any issues with them.
When I need something I usually compare pricing between jbugs, KGPR, WCM, Wolfsburg West, CIP1, socal auto parts, and mtmfg. I shop at all of them so many of them also regularly send me 10-15% coupons and promotions. I used to be a diehard aircooled.net customer, but their shipping prices are really outrageous, especially when you consider that several of the above vendors I listed offer free shipping on orders over $100.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlearl476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: About to purchase seals and interior kit from JBugs Reply with quote

My Beck Spyder uses an old VW license plate light. I spent the better parts of two hours searching every website I could think of for a new gasket and lens and finally found it on Jbugs.

They're my first stop from now on.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: About to purchase seals and interior kit from JBugs Reply with quote

J Bugs has been around a long time and I think they have integrity but I think they’re like any other resellers. They don’t make what they sell but do make decisions on what to sell so us little people don’t have to do so much research.
Go ahead and pull that trigger.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: About to purchase seals and interior kit from JBugs Reply with quote

I usually order from them all but CIP1 has really stepped up their game IMO. Their descriptions are accurate, they have a variety of quality in which they describe accurately I think, and they’re usually cheapest. Last purchase I made was a stock muffler for a 72 Ghia. Their site accurately described all the different price points and whether the preheat tube was on the correct side and how much finagling is required to fit. Plus free shipping over $100
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: About to purchase seals and interior kit from JBugs Reply with quote

if your Ghia is ALL a 1974 model get one of the kits. I have doors from some older year and had to get different stuff for them.
VW Wiring = It's just wires

Last edited by runamoc on Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
toddgsanford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: About to purchase seals and interior kit from JBugs Reply with quote

I have bought tons of stuff from j buggs, they are awesome to deal with.
I had an issue a long time ago like 2002 where I bought a headliner it was wrong I called TMI as it was supposed to be for a sunroof bay window and it was not. TMi said just cut the opening. I did it was a train wreck. purchased one from wcm and it was clearly visibly different.
I contacted Jbuggs to explain and even though the headliner was trashed they refunded/made good on the deal. I agree the website is a little distanced its no amazon. but if you have a problem you can call and speak to someone that is knowledgeable about vw upholstery which is no amazon either. Especially for upholstery Jbugs is the place.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: